Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Standards in the BBC

• 15-09-2004 1:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if any one has any experience working for the BBC or for that matter any other large post production/Television facility. I start work in the BBC in 13 days and I am just wondering what to expect. It all seems good so far, getting put up in a hotel for the first week, which is a rather easy week, but I assume it'll go down hill rather quickly from there.

I'm asusming shift work, digitizing, delivering tapes, copying, and such stuff. I'll be on a traineeship. Does any one know how quickly people tend to advance in them?

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Lump wrote:
    Just wondering if any one has any experience working for the BBC or for that matter any other large post production/Television facility. I start work in the BBC in 13 days and I am just wondering what to expect. It all seems good so far, getting put up in a hotel for the first week, which is a rather easy week, but I assume it'll go down hill rather quickly from there.

I'm asusming shift work, digitizing, delivering tapes, copying, and such stuff. I'll be on a traineeship. Does any one know how quickly people tend to advance in them?

John

Hi John, I have worked for them in both the UK on a freelance basis and in Dublin offices on contract with news. Sadly the advancement up the ladder in there is a bot RTEish if ya know what i mean. If you get on well at the beginning you will flourish and fly up the ladder...if not well you could be left at bottom, but eventually get there. The general job role of a trainee for the first while will be digitizing and copying and logging tapes, maybe a bit of programme viewing for glitches and stuff too, but even though itll seem a doddle, put your all into it, try and sit in when you have a spare few moments with the other types of editors and graders. And get up to speed on Photoshop and image editing cos they love to see an editor that can do all that, THEY REALLY LOVE THAT!! Itll be grand though and you'll have a ball, there is a good crowd there(if your going to belfast that is!)

Best of luck and if you have any questions drop us a pm, im away from today for a week filming but im here all day today!

Ciao

mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Lump : congratulations on getting the gig and best of luck. Anyone from the BBC that I've ever encountered has been both professional and fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

ah cheers for the heads up. I'll be based in london. not too worried about the job in general and was expecting to be logging ad all that stuff, so no real suprises. Thanks again for the replies and good luck wishes.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 rtunes

Hi Lump,

So how did you get on all those years ago? I'm interviewing with them at the moment and was just checking to see if you would still recommend them as an employer!

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I got on well, still there, there's a lot of change going on at the moment, what dept are you going to be working for?

John

• Advertisement
Advertisement