Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Problem

Options
  • 15-09-2004 4:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Not Sure If this is a Software or hardware Problem, there is no sound on me machine mad.gif . Windows don’t seem to recognize it, I went to the device manager and clicked on "Sound, video and game controllers" then under all the devices listed when I click on properties, the list box call "Device usage" is disabled ,(I don’t mean the Device is disabled the actual list box is), I had a problem before where my laptop shutdown abnormally and some how the Modem got stuck on, I think its something similar is happening here, windows did shutdown abnormally (over clocked the CPU to muchredface.gif ) so maybe this is what happened, When I try to play a song in winamp it tells me that "Bad Direct sound driver" however when I try to run Splinter cell Pandora tomorrow it tell me that the sound device is been used by another application.

Any ideas,

I did check the windows web and did a google but no help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

try reinstalling the sound card driver

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Nope reinstall the driver didnt Work.

Come on guys Anyone with any help, Im really stuck on this. Its like if the Sound device thinks its on all the time and no else can get access to it untill its turned off. I tried a reninstall of drivers and did a windows update and its stiall not working. :(

Remove the device from device manager, and let Windows redetect it on next reboot, and install the correct drivers itself.

Give that a go and see how it performs...

ColmOT [MSFT] I cant remove it theres no options. when I right click on it al i see are properties and update driver, theres noting under properties which would let me uninstall it ro remove it.

• Advertisement

You should see these options when you right click on your card in device manager...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

You probably corrupted files when you overclocked your system and that is causing the sound problems your experiencing. My advice to you, altough may be a little on the extreme has got alot of benefits, is to back up all your data and do fresh install. This will sort out your sound problem and leave you with a nice fresh system to work with, you should notice it being faster than before because all the crap that builds up over time of general pc use, will be completly removed. It takes a bit of time alright but its worth it, i regulary do it just for the performace boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

I agree that its a corrupted files causing your problem, if you do even re-install your system, make an image of your drive using ghost or drive image, with that for back up you never have to worry bout re-install again, it takes very little time!

Thanks for all the help guys but the problem has been solved. 2 days ago I decided to look for an update for me BOIS through a program that came with the Motherboard. 10Mins ago I had the brain wave that this might be the problem as the sound is onboard. So I flashed the Bios and it Worked.

I can now listen to Metallica again :D

Advertisement