Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIOS update?

• 15-09-2004 9:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if flashing my BIOS would be of much benefit to my PC. I ran SiSoft Sandra and it reccommends an update. I've never done it before and while I'm confident that I can do it I'm worried that it might have unforseen consequences. What experience have people had with regards to BIOS updates?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

No real benefit. It certainly won't make your PC any faster.

The only benefits you will gain from flashing your bios are:

- Support for newer CPU's.
    - Remove the 127Gb limit.
    - Fix a minor bug that may exist in a particular BIOS version.

That said it's easy and generally very safe (barring a power failure or something similar).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

I'd recommend that if it's not broken ( or you havne't hit a known bug in the current BIOS) leave it alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Thanks for the tips guys. I reckon I'll leave it for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

You can always flash back to your original bios if you dont like the new one.

I do think new bios can make a difference to the pc, i flashed my bios not so long ago and it made it more stable at higher over clocks but thats my experience with it.
    But as said above if it aint broke dont fix it!

Jozi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Had a bad experience 2 days ago when i updated the bios and lost the (onboard Sound). No huge benefits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement