Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knacker Drinking

• 15-09-2004 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

I have nothing against the practice per se but I fish as a hobby and everywhere I go along river banks etc I am confronted with the aftermath of knacker drinking. Empty Dutch Gold cans and other cheap shyte from Lidl are everwhere along with the plastics bags they were brought in. Is there any chance that them empties could be brought home in the bags and disposed of properly? It can't be much fun drinking night after night in a dirty pile of cans.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I doubt the people dumping the cans are reading this. Knacker drinking can be fun, two years ago I convinced a group of my friends to go to the canal at leeson street instead of staying in their flat and it was great crack. But then we are the kind of people who would never leave any kind of rubbish or trace behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I'm afraid in my days of knacker drinking I wasn't too concerned with my responsibility to pick up litter. I doubt many other young pups locked off their bin are either. Sad but true.

I'm happy to say I've mended my ways, and if I go knacker drinking anytime in the near future I'll clean up after myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

tut tut tut... I never litter. ever. And when i knacker drank I used to just throw em in a bin near us, we had a bin real close to us, convenient. Actually what is ur favourite knacker drinking moments?

My mate was so drunk one time he was straggling behind, and we had got a good 50m ahead. As we rounded this really thick gate we heard him running. So its dark and the guys practivally blind, he runs straight into the gate and lets out this scream (bearing in mind hes pissed outta his head and shouldnt feel pain...) He was treated by the local knacker drinkers, ie made him sit down and feed him more drink, seriously, everyone chipped in a bit for him.
    He awoke the next morning nearly crying, and he currently has 2 dents on his shins. Oh hes sometimes called Shins. funny stuff.

brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I dunno if it counts as technically "on the knacker" but last wednesday night, after the Ireland Switzerland game ( no mods, this isn't a soccer post ;) ) me and my mates got a few cans and headed to the local park to round off the night after the pub.

Anyway, this park has a bit of a high wall in it, about 25 foot, and one of my friends decided in his drunken state that it would be a good idea to jump off it.

So, up he climbs, and proceeds to to just that. Off he jumps and lands on the slippy grass on his feet, which promptly give way, and he comes down on his arse.

He just lay there, not moving. So we, the other drunken fools tell him to just lie there, he's probably just winded. So he does, and begins to feel a little better. So we stand him up, but he's still not 100%, so we say we'll bring him to a taxi, and to the hospital. One of my other mates went with him, the rest of us continued drinking.

So, he made his way slowly and gingerly to the road to hail a taxi. He got one, and by all accounts he then walked in to the hospital. He was taken to the X-Ray department.

He has 3 broken verterbrae (sp?). The doctors said a few things. They couldn't believe he walked in to the hospital for a start. They also said that there's more chance of him winning the lottery than him actually being able to walk with those injuries, ever again.

Stupid, lucky boy. He'll be in hospital for a while, but he'll be able to walk out.

Oh yeah, in response to the original question, we took our cans away with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Good man, I hope your friend is OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

can't say i've ever part-taken in such activities. i don't see the benifit of drinking cans in a field when you can drink them in a warm environment watching a movie or being in a bar and what not... just holds no appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

Most of these "knackers" would be probably between 15-17 so they wouldnt be able to sit in a pub or in there own house drinking, so thats why they sit in fields
    and places like that so there not seen, and they just leave there rubbish there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I've just come back from a knacker drinking session, and no, I didnt pick up any of the cans afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Most of these "knackers" would be probably between 15-17 so they wouldnt be able to sit in a pub or in there own house drinking, so thats why they sit in fields
    and places like that so there not seen, and they just leave there rubbish there.

Wow, really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

yeah, kitty's got it exactly. the point is that knacker drinking is the option for when you have no free house/place to go you can drink. i was strongly opposed to it but that kinda dwindled... to be fair though, me and at least 1 or two others always handle our own cans/bottles or whatever and, depending on how cheerfully drunk i am, collect everyone elses and bring it to the nearest bin (which is, inevitably, near people who probably look disapprovingly as i toss in a handful of cans or empty a bag of cheap-ass wine bottles) but how and ever..

most people just don't think about it for a second. the idea is often to get rid of the drink and all containers of it as fast as possible so you're as drunk as you want to be but don't have anything you shouldn't if the gardai turn up (having never been bothered by guards in any of the dozens of times i've been drinking in a field/green/en route to someones house i personally just don't worry about it...)

y'know..while we're at it: i object to the term "knacker" drinking... my friends and i are proud and filthy hippy/weirdo/waster types and I feel there should be some kind of less derogatory name for the practice!

i think i'll go out now to prove my point and, if it comes up, dispose of rubbish afterwards!

edit:
    I've just come back from a knacker drinking session, and no, I didnt pick up any of the cans afterwards.

wow man... made a mess AND you made it back for 7pm. Hardcore. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

We call it bushing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

can't say i've ever part-taken in such activities. i don't see the benifit of drinking cans in a field when you can drink them in a warm environment watching a movie or being in a bar and what not... just holds no appeal.

So do you avoid beer gardens too on really nice summer days? Bit of a waste sitting inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

They should offer a deposit on returned cans and bottles. That would clean up the streets a lot. Even if people didn't return them, other people would look for every can they could find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Shoolaboola

people my age are such scumbags these days.....but im not...nope...no drinking for me.....no smoking either. im a friggin angel compared to the rest of em...*rambles on and on and on...*

Advertisement