Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL Connectivity Anomaly

• 15-09-2004 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

I've just bought a house in Kildare. The phone number for the previous occupants passed the line test, as does my next door neighbours. I bumped into another neighbour yesterday and his line failed (he's about 6 houses down). So I'm left sweating while my new number gets processed to see if it's magically become unsuitable in the meantime. I doubt mine'll be a problem but I'll be mightily p***ed if it fails.

If mine comes through - I think I'll see if I can help my neighbour get his sorted. Maybe he's got a monitored alarm or something else that's interfering with the line.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

If you're passes and his doesn't, you could both set up a wireless network and share* your connection. If he's a warez monkey, he could end up putting you over your monthly cap though.

I do remember seeing a sticky somewhere around here on what to do if you had Phonewatch - could be worth having a look around for it...

Assuming you have, ahem, a business package that allows sharing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

There's a sticky about alright covering monitored alarms. I do have a line of sight so the sharing thing has crossed my mind. He's in his 40's tho, so I'd say he's not a warez monkey, but you never can tell.

Am I right in saying that Eircom will not get back to me to say that my line is no longer suitable? I studied this stuff in College, so I'm pretty sure that unless they've done something to physically alter my connection (which they haven't) all should be well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

I think the best thing is that you do the chasing up. If you're waiting for a call from them you could be waiting a while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

You should be ok. The copper will not change from owner to owner and if the line was high enough quality before this it should be fine when you get your new number in the house.

I wouldn't be too concerned overall.

Advertisement