Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCSI.....Any1 going there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

gnu wrote:
    Good thinking, Pot Noodles all round then. Few fish fingers on the side and you've almost got a balanced meal :)
    That's so crap that we don't get timetables till the 5th, whose bright idea was that, I wonder?
    I was in town and passed by the college today and they seem to be still building/renovating the new bit that we're meant to be in ... could be interesting doing labs in a building site!

I read somewhere that pharmacy school isnt moving over there til sept 2005 so I think we're still in old building this year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 wrp

Well, you know, you can always pick your nail polish instead....

I'm just browsing through the clubs page now (cheers for the link gnu)...the publishing soc looks good. "Activities include pub crawls, parties and meetings". Starting to wish I'd picked journalism over this pharmacy lark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

Ahh, well just as well by the looks of it. Admissions told me that we'd be in the new building but I've come to realize they're not as reliable as you might like!
    I'm going to practice looking very cool and bored for the Tues morning. And yes, will prob txt as well, sad huh? :o

good thinking *note to self...wear nail polish* :) i'm sorted. I thought that was funny caus of order they put the 3 things. doesnt look like they get much published!!!

wrp wrote:
    I'm just browsing through the clubs page now (cheers for the link gnu)...the publishing soc looks good. "Activities include pub crawls, parties and meetings". Starting to wish I'd picked journalism over this pharmacy lark.

No prob, publishing sounds nice and social - I came across that shifting dullness site they mention a while back, seems to be dead now tho.
    Here's what I found, the coffee shop just sounds like loads of fun :confused:

10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT RCSI

1. Ever notice how the vending machines either never work or are always empty?

2. Ever wonder why the printers in the library keep breaking down and don't seem to get fixed for the longest time?

3. Why are the facilities in this college such as the gym and library etc... grossly inadequate?

4. Is it just me or are most of the pre-meds a boring bunch of nerds who seem to spend more time in the library playing computer games or on the internet in chat rooms giving reasons why Captain Kirk is better the Captain Picard?

5. Interviews. Please, please bring back the interviews. Dean Johnson, have you seen the pre-meds lately?

6. The way people complain about not having enough non-alcoholic events, yet when one is organised, no one turns up!

7. What's with all the new rules in Mercer court? Why don't they just attach electronic collars to us? That way they can monitor every thing we do.

8. Librarians. Oh God. What a joke. I like the way they give out to people for talking too loudly, yet go back behind their desk and gossip even louder! ummm Hello!

9. Mobile phone fines. hmmm. The only place people seem to get fined is when their caught talking on the phone in the stair well. Never does it happen when a phone goes off in the study areas. Why?

10. Merecer Cafe. You have got to be kidding me. I would love to meet the genius who decided that a room barely big enough to hold 15 people and 3 vending machines should be called a cafe. it is such a depressing room. If i ever think of commiting suicide, it'll be in that room. Maybe my blood will brighten up the place.

• Advertisement

Well they did mention the student magazine then gave a non-existent link to it.. obviously they were hoping nobody would click on it. And I think we are in that new building, the girl I know in 2nd year up there said that we were getting a bright shiny new building to play in.
    So anyway, what clubs r you two going for? I'm thinking music, film, gourmet, photography (although my camera is a crock of s*&t), dance (clearly cannot step on the toes of any cute Aussies at the Winter Ball), and ,of course, publishing. ;)

Lmao......can't wait! I heard from a friend of my dad's recently that gym facilities were excellent

Hmmm, so I'll go to the gym if I feel virtuous. I'll do swimming, film, gourmet, publishing sounds like a must lol. Better do dance as well or you 2 will show me up bigtime:) I'd kinda like to do something worthy as well but the social work type of soc sounds more for med students, what dya reckon?

yeah I kinda got that impression. Most things in the college seem to be geared towards med students if im honest lol. I'll prob talk to sum of the reps during freshers week and see

Lmao......can't wait! I heard from a friend of my dad's recently that gym facilities were excellent

Its actually a pretty nice gym, managed to get in without a student card using the hang around outside until somebody else goes in then shout "hold the door!" technique. It's bigger than I expected too, which was my general opinion on the whole thing. Everybody had spent weeks going its tiny, don't be shocked. I was prepared for a Derek Zoolander "What is this? A uni for ants? How do you expect us to learn if we can't even fit inside the building?" moment. When I showed up I couldn't believe it had a gym and a pretty decent canteen, not to mention the huge new glass building thing opposite!

• Advertisement

That's great, I was starting to think the facilities sounded crap. Are you being paid off by admissions to make it sound good wrp?
    You said you had a friend in 2nd yr, do you know did they have to spend a lot on books etc?

gnu wrote:

7. What's with all the new rules in Mercer court? Why don't they just attach electronic collars to us? That way they can monitor every thing we do.

10. Merecer Cafe. You have got to be kidding me. I would love to meet the genius who decided that a room barely big enough to hold 15 people and 3 vending machines should be called a cafe. it is such a depressing room. If i ever think of commiting suicide, it'll be in that room. Maybe my blood will brighten up the place.

Dear God. If you pay E8,000 plus a year for acc in Mercer Court, you'd expect it to be less suicide-inducing.
    Speaking of which, where are you two living? I'm out in the National College of Ireland acc, bout 15 minutes walk away. Sadly no Luas, that would have been sweet since it stops bang outside...

I'm in Maynooth, 40 min train and 20 min walk away..yay

gnu wrote:
    That's great, I was starting to think the facilities sounded crap. Are you being paid off by admissions to make it sound good wrp?
    You said you had a friend in 2nd yr, do you know did they have to spend a lot on books etc?

No bribes! Although I like your angle...perhaps I should have a little chat with them... Didn't really ask her but I don't think so, I'll ring her tomorrow and find out. I do know that the whole nothing comes for free thing applies to the laptop, a couple of weeks after you get it you have to do a presentation on a drug in front of all the people you don't know yet! :o

wrp wrote:
    No bribes! Although I like your angle...perhaps I should have a little chat with them... Didn't really ask her but I don't think so, I'll ring her tomorrow and find out. I do know that the whole nothing comes for free thing applies to the laptop, a couple of weeks after you get it you have to do a presentation on a drug in front of all the people you don't know yet! :o

ah fcuk, no way can I do that, I'll die

I'm near Christchurch, very very handy ... I reckon I could make it in 8 mins at a push.

Yes, less suicide-inducing accom would be nice I think, I pity anyone forking out that much for it! The coffee place sounds brutal but at least you said the restaurant sounds ok.

Anyone else dying at thought of presentation?

gnu wrote:
    I'm near Christchurch, very very handy ... I reckon I could make it in 8 mins at a push.

Yes, less suicide-inducing accom would be nice I think, I pity anyone forking out that much for it! The coffee place sounds brutal but at least you said the restaurant sounds ok.

I think he might be talking about the coffee place in Mercer court, sadly 8000 a year does not buy you your own kitchen, you have to share with the ENTIRE student body living there. You do however get a little tea/coffee station to share with your whole floor. Wow.

For 8k it'd want to be amazing coffee.

And Angeldelight, what presentation????????? You're scaring me!

Anyone else dying at thought of presentation?

Not really, I've been slowly adjusting to it since last Christmas when she told me. Anyway, the trick to reading/presenting/etc in public is to unfocus your eyes. :eek: Honestly. If you can't see them, they ain't there.

• Advertisement

Lol I used to do debating but still, that's different!

What do we have to present, is it one big thing or is it small things regularly?

I don't like the whole public speaking thing but it's never as bad as I'm afraid it's going to be. I'll try your trick wrp, of course everyone'll think I'm stoned with my glazed unfocussed look but what the hell :)

gnu wrote:
    What do we have to present, is it one big thing or is it small things regularly?

I don't like the whole public speaking thing but it's never as bad as I'm afraid it's going to be. I'll try your trick wrp, of course everyone'll think I'm stoned with my glazed unfocussed look but what the hell :)

That's half the fun... all I know is first you get your laptop, then you get a list of drugs you can do a pres on, then you do the pres. Dunno how many times it happens, I think it's just the one to show you that laptops are for more than just downloading music and posting on msg boards....

wrp wrote:
    I think it's just the one to show you that laptops are for more than just downloading music and posting on msg boards....

Noooooo, say it ain't so. You mean we have to actually use them? I was just thinking it'd go nicely w the ipod I'm thinking of getting.

gnu wrote:
    Noooooo, say it ain't so. You mean we have to actually use them? I was just thinking it'd go nicely w the ipod I'm thinking of getting.

Snap! I was thinking the same thing. Does anybody know what type of iBook we get, cos if we have to pay the 450 IT fee every year then i want one worth more than 2000 so I can tell ppl it was "free".

I'm getting iPOD too, nice pink one lol. Don' really see y I'll need a lapotop, got a computer at home! Are they just gonna hand us a box wit a laptop in it on the 1st day lol cos I was thinking walking home with it wouldnt be safest thing ever

I was told a while back that they weren't certain that they'd stick w/ ibooks :( might end up w a bog standard laptop. I'd like a swanky one too, if I'm forking out the IT fee I want my money's worth :)
    Pink ipod sounds cute, not sure what I'm getting if any, just have to wait and see

Aww I really like the ibooks, they're so slim and light and stuff. neways night night im off

Don't really care what it is as long as it's free! Have only just checked to see have I got internet connection where I'm living, fortunatly I do, would have felt pretty damn stupid if I hadn't

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm off too, kindly keep me posted if you manage to get any info out of the tight-lipped admissions staff! over and out...

Advertisement