Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCSI.....Any1 going there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

Very necessary, though we'll have free access in college I spose. I'm off to bed,sleep tight folks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Wrote these down last night and can't find my back to whatever site it was but I found this out about Freshers Week:

4th October: Jazz Evening at Cafe en Seine 8.30pm-late FREE

5th October: Clubs & Societies registration 2-5pm
    Irish Stand-Up COmic 6-8pm 5 Euro
    Boat Race Inter-Year Competition The Swan 8-11pm
    After Party Major Tom's Down Under 11pm-Late

6th October: Sports Day Buses leave from college entrance at 12pm.
    no idea what this is lol

7th October: White Coats Ceremony 6.30-8pm Parents Invited
    Societies Movie (Intermission) 5pm
    Societies ceili 8pm-late (basketball court)

8th October: Ballad Session 7-10 pm. Says we shud def go to this.
    Freshers Ball DTWO 1030-late 5 euros

V annoying living in Maynooth, will have to miss lots of stuff :confused:
    Not sure how much of this is for med students only, possibly the "white coat ceremony" bit. sounds odd to me lol.

Ok just googled it. Apparently the college present us with our first white coat as a symbol of our good intentions in our field and to public and we take a pledge! Lol should be...interesting! May only be for med students tho

I can't wait, sounds really good. What are you guys going to go to? I'll prob got to as much as I can. BTW where did you find this stuff?
    I still haven't got anything in the post, they're really leaving it till the last minute!

I'll go to as much as I can, as long as I make friends and don't end up going all on my own! I'll def go to white coat thing, don't think thats an option. I'll have to get 12.30 nitelink home if i wanna get up next mornin at 6.30 so I won't be at nething v late :(

• Advertisement

Yeah, same here. I'm sure there'll be loads of ppl going, hope so anyway. The white coat thing sounds intriguing, it wouldn't shock me terribly if it turned out to be just for the medics tho lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 wrp

Ok just googled it. Apparently the college present us with our first white coat as a symbol of our good intentions in our field and to public and we take a pledge! Lol should be...interesting! May only be for med students tho

That sounds...touching. Prob head to everything bar the sports day, don't really want to be remembered as that girl who almost had heart failure during the egg and spoon race. Dunno bout the Friday night stuff either, will have to start making the long trek back down to Galway...anyway the word "Ball" puzzles me, what kind of evening are we being offered? A normal night out or will the drycleaners be overloaded with last years debs dresses...

I might go to the sports day as an enthusiastic supporter. should be funny lol. I'm not goin to the ball if its a proper ball! Couldnt go to my debs so dont have a dress!

I might go to the sports day as an enthusiastic supporter. should be funny lol. I'm not goin to the ball if its a proper ball! Couldnt go to my debs so dont have a dress!

Supporter thing sounds like a good idea! Googled Down Under, it looks like a good place. I have no idea of Dublin though so will prob be late for everything. I hate carrying a street map, it's like carrying a large sign saying Mug Me! Mug Me!

Lmao my granny keeps trying to foist this huge map on me. I'm just hoping to make friends with sum1 who knows way to everywhere! Don't think I'll be at down under that night or if I am not for v long. Damn hour-long bus journey!

• Advertisement

Ooh fantastic look what I found:

"When I was in premed in RCSI one of the banks, Bank of Ireland I think, came in on the registration day and were giving away free pay as you go phones with every new account opened. So you could just open an account with a couple of euro and never use the account again apart from withdrawing the money you put in to open it, but get a free phone with call credit already on it."

I think he was American and I don't know how long ago that was...sounds too good to be true!

Sounds good to me! I have dreadful habit of buying new phones every few months. This might help me hold off til christmas!

Also found a post that says rcsi change their exam dates with very short notice, so stock up on the coffee for those all-nighters! :eek:

Sports day should be a larf, esp with this amazing weather we're having lol
    I was wondering about the "Ball", sure we haven't even had our dance lessons yet! afaik, it's just a night out, no debs dress required. Don't think I can make the friday thing anyway tho :(
    And free phones, sounds too good to be true, i'm thinking of getting a new one but would rather buy an ipod so a freebee would be looooovely :)
    Pretty crap about the exam dates ... hope that's just for the doctors (like nearly everything else there, god I'm getting bitter before I even start lol)

did u hear bout the freshers ball from sumwhere else gnu? friday nite seems bit weird for freshers ball really, lotsa ppl will have to go back home for weekend!

No I hadn't heard about RCSI's ball but friends in other colleges had freshers' balls that were just nights out. A little bit dressy uppy but nothing major. Then again, rcsi might be that bit posher and full ball gown required lol
    I was wondering about it being on a friday, but I spose there are so many foreigners and they can't exactly go home for the w/e

Lol knowing surgeons it's v posh and "only for med students of course". Wel yeah but little mean on other Irish ppl!! Even if we don't pay as much money

Oh yeah, I knew they paid more than us, is it loads?
    Maybe they get set better exams than us, and get the executive version of lectures.

well I paid 1333.32, ur a grad aren't you? So I think you paid round 4000/5000? correct me if I'm wrong! and they pay aroundabout 14000/15000 if they're from outside the EU

Yeah, so I had to pay about 6400 including my "free" laptop fee lol
    Wow, I thought I had it bad, that's a looooad of money.

• Advertisement

yeah i know i think the "free laptop thing is funny". to be fair though it is cheaper than if we were to go and buy one ourselves and they do have really good facilities IT-wise. If us lowly pharmacy students are allowed near them! My parents paid for mine tho so i cant really complain

Ah I'm not complaining, I just find it funny. I can't wait to get my hands on it, I love playing with new "toys". And IT facilities were part of the reason I wanted to go to RCSI instead of Trinity, they sound cool.
    As for fees, I thought I was independent of my family when I graduated the first time but not anymore ... what would I do without them?!

it's quite amusing, my mum and dad didn't realise RCSI was more expensive than Trinity before I applied so now anytime I ask for anything they just sniff and say "well if you hadn't chosen surgeons..." Joke is wearing little thin now! Do either of you know if we have lectures the week of the 4th? I had presumed we had cause it seems to be v academic college but now what with buses taking us away at 12 and clubs reg at 2 on other days I'm not so sure!!

Aww, well remind them that all their dosh is getting you a free laptop lol!

I was wondering the same thing about the first week. I thought they'd give us timetables and get us straight to work! But it sounds more like we'll be eased into it gradually, hope so anyway. Maybe you know wrp?

BTW, did either of you hear anything from student services. Admissions told me I'd be sent something from them and with just over a week to go, I'm wondering ... I might just give them a call 2mo.

Yeah I know. It's very annoying isn't it. Was funny at the beginning.... at this stage it's jst irritatin me!! Just really annoys me that we're expected to turn up and find our own way around :confused: if you find out anything gnu, let us know!

I know, it's really annoying. The worst bit is I feel like I'm taking my life in my hands when I ring cos I've found them so unpleasant to deal with all along. Anyway, don't worry, I'll post if I manage to extract any info out of them lol!

I know!! At this stage I expect this huge red flashing light to come on every time I ring like "the trouble-maker" is on the phone again

It was so embarrassing, last time I rang they actually recognised my voice so I couldn't even be anonymous! How would you fancy running for class president or something and start a campaign to get (a) proper recognition for pharmacy students in the college (b) admissions to do their job (c) ... I'm sure I'll think of something! :D

BTW, passed by the college again today and the new bit actually looks finished more or less.

I'll gladly nominate you for the job :)

• Advertisement

No way! I'm much better at the behind the scenes stuff!

Advertisement