Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCSI.....Any1 going there?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 wrp

gnu wrote:
    Aww, well remind them that all their dosh is getting you a free laptop lol!

I was wondering the same thing about the first week. I thought they'd give us timetables and get us straight to work! But it sounds more like we'll be eased into it gradually, hope so anyway. Maybe you know wrp?

BTW, did either of you hear anything from student services. Admissions told me I'd be sent something from them and with just over a week to go, I'm wondering ... I might just give them a call 2mo.

Sorry, as much in the dark as you two! I thought we'd be straight into work as well, esp since we start later than most places. Can't get through to my friend either, as soon as I track her down I'll try and provide some answers!
    BTW, what kind of stuff are you expecting from student services? I'm starting to feel like I should be harrassing them as well, they're so laid back! I was on holiday when the letter about registration came so my dad had to send half it back. I went into them to to finish off the application, the girl at the desk didn't even stop putting on her makeup while I was there!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

Angel told me there was a handbook available so I rang admissions to request in and they mentioned that student services would be in contact soon with details of orientation etc - but I've heard nothing at all.

Did you get much info about registration? Mine's prob a bit different cos I got an offer as a graduate back in May, and all I got was an out of date Medicine handbook and a big legal contract to sign to say I'd be good for the next 4 yrs:)

gnu wrote:
    Angel told me there was a handbook available so I rang admissions to request in and they mentioned that student services would be in contact soon with details of orientation etc - but I've heard nothing at all.

Did you get much info about registration? Mine's prob a bit different cos I got an offer as a graduate back in May, and all I got was an out of date Medicine handbook and a big legal contract to sign to say I'd be good for the next 4 yrs:)

I didn't see much of it cos my dad sent it back before I got home, just the form thing with the photo etc etc, the out of date medicine handbook (cheers, v helpful :rolleyes: ) and a letter saying show up on the 4th oct. If there was a legal contract for me then I'm thinkin dad may have forged it! They sent nothing on orientation but all the details are under School of Med (surprise surprise...) I'm trying to find the link for you but I've just clicked on the website and something very very weird came up.. if you can understand who the hell they're talking to kindly fill me in!
    So you're a graduate? What did you do in your past life as a student?

wrp wrote:
    I didn't see much of it cos my dad sent it back before I got home, just the form thing with the photo etc etc, the out of date medicine handbook (cheers, v helpful :rolleyes: ) and a letter saying show up on the 4th oct. If there was a legal contract for me then I'm thinkin dad may have forged it! They sent nothing on orientation but all the details are under School of Med (surprise surprise...) I'm trying to find the link for you but I've just clicked on the website and something very very weird came up.. if you can understand who the hell they're talking to kindly fill me in!
    So you're a graduate? What did you do in your past life as a student?

Prob not that much difference in what they send out then, all pretty useless!
    I did find the orientation link but no thanks to the good folk at admissions, don't know what their prob is.

erm, what's happening w/ their website???? V strange! :rolleyes:

I did Classical Civ and Philosophy in Trinity. I really loved it but shock and surprise, it didn't lead me into anything interesting careerwise so here I am starting again! I did a 1 yr course in Med Lab Sci last year to test the water and found I still love science so actually I'm really looking forward to it.

Did you mention that you're from Galway? When are you making the big move?

gnu wrote:
    Prob not that much difference in what they send out then, all pretty useless!
    I did find the orientation link but no thanks to the good folk at admissions, don't know what their prob is.

erm, what's happening w/ their website???? V strange! :rolleyes:

I did Classical Civ and Philosophy in Trinity. I really loved it but shock and surprise, it didn't lead me into anything interesting careerwise so here I am starting again! I did a 1 yr course in Med Lab Sci last year to test the water and found I still love science so actually I'm really looking forward to it.

Did you mention that you're from Galway? When are you making the big move?

Cool, that sounds really interesting. I'd love to have done something like that but everyone going job security, job security! eventually got to me. Anyway my sis is a pharmacist and she seems really happy in her job, and I like chemistry so...

Yeah I'm from Galway, am gonna head up on sunday week (3rd). Really looking forward to it actually, particularly since nearly all my friends have gone to college last week and it is very, very quiet where I am now! Are you from Dublin?

• Advertisement

Wow, at least you're sensible enough to take advice! I was going to do science or pharmacy but my classics teacher talked me into doing class civ. My parents were a bit worried but let me make the choice myself, they must have been mad :) I've no regrets tho cos knowing me if I'd done pharmacy first I'd have done my 2nd degree in class civ!

Good luck w/ the move, I'm in Dublin city centre so at least I don't have that hassle. I think you said you were near the IFSC or that sort of area? it seems nice and won't take you long to walk in to college. If you want any info on where the nearest supermarket is (or anything else) give me a shout and I'll do my best to help, just PM me

Ok, tried going into that hosting365 link they've got and I think all it means is that they're updating the site. Either that or they noticed us b*tching and decided to revoke our pharmacy places and shut us out of the website. I'm hoping for solution no 1.

Yes! Wouldn't it just be fab if they were finally updating the pharmacy section that's a yr out of date? :)

gnu wrote:
    Wow, at least you're sensible enough to take advice! I was going to do science or pharmacy but my classics teacher talked me into doing class civ. My parents were a bit worried but let me make the choice myself, they must have been mad :) I've no regrets tho cos knowing me if I'd done pharmacy first I'd have done my 2nd degree in class civ!

Good luck w/ the move, I'm in Dublin city centre so at least I don't have that hassle. I think you said you were near the IFSC or that sort of area? it seems nice and won't take you long to walk in to college. If you want any info on where the nearest supermarket is (or anything else) give me a shout and I'll do my best to help, just PM me

Brilliant thanks! There's a supermarket across the road but when I went in to suss it out it was full of v posh food and fine wines, which won't be extremely helpful when I've run out of milk. Seems like an ok area tho, are there any streets around there I should avoid? All the warnings in rsci about york st freaked me out a bit!

wrp wrote:
    Brilliant thanks! There's a supermarket across the road but when I went in to suss it out it was full of v posh food and fine wines, which won't be extremely helpful when I've run out of milk. Seems like an ok area tho, are there any streets around there I should avoid? All the warnings in rsci about york st freaked me out a bit!

Mmm, posh food and wine ... that'll do nicely for the gourmet nights lol!
    I tend to stick w/ tesco and dunnes, no posh nosh for me :(

I don't think there's anywhere you need to avoid but I'll ask around. I'm always careful on the quays after dark but your bit seems nice and I'd say it's quite busy. I'd avoid any short cuts down dark lanes and that sort of thing. Amien St near the train station is meant to be bad I doubt you'd need to go there after dark.

What were the warnings about york st? As far as I can see it's totally fine. I think there used to be a Salvation Army hostel there ages ago, maybe that's it. there are some flats nearby that might be dodgy but you'd have no need to go near them. I've lived in the city centre for a few yrs and so far, so good. That said, esp when you're female it's better to keep your wits about you.

I'm off to my leaba now, I'll post 2mo if I find out any info.

• Advertisement

gnu wrote:
    Mmm, posh food and wine ... that'll do nicely for the gourmet nights lol!
    I tend to stick w/ tesco and dunnes, no posh nosh for me :(

I don't think there's anywhere you need to avoid but I'll ask around. I'm always careful on the quays after dark but your bit seems nice and I'd say it's quite busy. I'd avoid any short cuts down dark lanes and that sort of thing. Amien St near the train station is meant to be bad I doubt you'd need to go there after dark.

What were the warnings about york st? As far as I can see it's totally fine. I think there used to be a Salvation Army hostel there ages ago, maybe that's it. there are some flats nearby that might be dodgy but you'd have no need to go near them. I've lived in the city centre for a few yrs and so far, so good. That said, esp when you're female it's better to keep your wits about you.

I'm off to my leaba now, I'll post 2mo if I find out any info.

There were posters on every notice board I looked at saying don't walk down york st, and if you're going to, hold on to your handbag as tightly as possible and don't talk on your phone. Doesn't really matter to me cos I'm living in the opposite direction anyway.
    Good luck with admissions 2moro!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

yay I actually got info from them. My mind is slightly at rest. Except we have to be in at 9 on the 4th not 10 :( was hoping I could ease myself gently into getting up at 6.30, damn! the letter recommends we look at their website for info, so maybe they are updating it?? *crosses her fingers* I presume you both got stuff today too?

Got a letter from rcsi this morning with details of orientation etc, not much different to what was on the website. It does tell us about our lovely shiny new iBooks though.... ;)

Hehe yup. Does tell us to be in at 9 though, I was planning on arriving at 9.58 or something so I wouldn't have to stand around on my own!

yay I actually got info from them. My mind is slightly at rest. Except we have to be in at 9 on the 4th not 10 :( was hoping I could ease myself gently into getting up at 6.30, damn! the letter recommends we look at their website for info, so maybe they are updating it?? *crosses her fingers* I presume you both got stuff today too?

Ouch...6:30? You're a trooper!
    Went on the website and it's slightly less terrifying than last night but still not really working so I reckon its being updated.
    Are you going to the reception thing? I dunno if it's kind of for parents or not, my dad isn't going to come up for it so is there any point me going on my own?

I'm hoping 1st year pharmacy students never have 9 am starts lol. Well my parents wanna go so I guess I'll have to! It's for students as well tho as far as I know. Anyways it'd save me going home and coming in again for the Jazz Evening! Are you going to that? They better have nice bouncers or I'm not gonna get in :rolleyes:

Yeah def it sounds good...I'm sure they'll let you in if you say you're from rcsi, I think bouncers tend to turn a bit of a blind eye during freshers weeks.
    I remember my friend saying last year that pharmacy did start early (sorry!) but also finishes really early so you can go home and sleep in the afternoon. Apparantly Trinity pharmacy students do 9 30 to 6 almost every day and don't need half the stuff they do, but they lump all the "science" students together for general lectures, so you wind up learning part of the physio course that has nothing to do with you.

Yep I'm looking forward to it :) I'll just bring bribe money lol. Hmmm oh well! Yeah thats one of many reasons I didn't pick trinity. They have to do maths as a full subject and other stuff they don't need, course is long enough without all that!!

Yep I'm looking forward to it :) I'll just bring bribe money lol. Hmmm oh well! Yeah thats one of many reasons I didn't pick trinity. They have to do maths as a full subject and other stuff they don't need, course is long enough without all that!!

Amen to that! Must head to work now, talk to ya later...

Yay! Didn't bother ring up as the stuff finally came! Poor you Angel, 6:30am, that's just not fun. Bummer about the 9am start but I'm lovin the sound of the ibook.

I reckon you should go to the reception thingy wrp, it's for us as well as the parents, lets get our money's worth.:) Call me cynical but I think it's probably a ruse to get the parents to open their chequebooks to the development kitty, my old school was always having parents receptions for that sort of thing lol. I reckon I'll go and head straight on to a bit of jazz, it's an rcsi thing so I doubt there'd be hassle w/ bouncers. Anyway Angel, by the sounds of the "hotornot" thread you've got going I reckon you could charm them into letting you in :D

• Advertisement

I know, 6.30 sucks. More cause means I have to go home early the night before than anything else!! Are you two going to "RCSI A History"? Lol gnu you should have kept reading, one of them said I looked like I was 15! :eek:

Yeah, I was thinking I'll go to everything, I'd be just hanging around waiting for the jazz to start otherwise. I rang up to RSVP and they said that lots of ppl come on their own, so hopefully I won't be the only one. :rolleyes:

Yeah that's why I was thinking of going, otherwise I'll just be standing around on my own. You'll get chatting to ppl though, more so than I will if my parents are there so it's not a bad thing :)

Hope you're right!
    I just checked the website - it's back up, but shock and horror, the pharmacy section hasn't been updated lol.

gnu wrote:
    Yeah, I was thinking I'll go to everything, I'd be just hanging around waiting for the jazz to start otherwise. I rang up to RSVP and they said that lots of ppl come on their own, so hopefully I won't be the only one. :rolleyes:

I'll be on my lonesome too, so you can play with me!
    Don't think I'll make it to the rcsi a history thing, prob head home to grab a shower and some food before heading back out to the jazz. Where is cafe en seine? I've managed to find a nice small little street map that will fit into my handbag, as opposed to the three foot long fold-out map that I had before!

Defo, we can suss out the talent and see who seems to have the richest Daddy so we can target them later lol!

Cafe on Seine is on Dawson St, it's parallel to Grafton St, just the next street along and it's near the Stephen's Green end on the right hand side if you're facing Stephen's Green. Sounds like you're going home to dolly yourself up for any potential rich husbands and/or cute Australians :) Damn, wish I thought of that!

gnu wrote:
    Defo, we can suss out the talent and see who seems to have the richest Daddy so we can target them later lol!

Cafe on Seine is on Dawson St, it's parallel to Grafton St, just the next street along and it's near the Stephen's Green end on the right hand side if you're facing Stephen's Green. Sounds like you're going home to dolly yourself up for any potential rich husbands and/or cute Australians :) Damn, wish I thought of that!

Dolly myself up? Nah...any rich aussies can love me in my unprocessed state! It's a pretty long day though so I might just go home for a while, to be honest I don't really care about the history of rcsi, it's hard enough getting info out of them about the present! I'll see, if people are just going to hang around for a while and get to know each other I'll obviously stick around too. Btw, thanks for the directions!

wrp wrote:
    Dolly myself up? Nah...any rich aussies can love me in my unprocessed state! It's a pretty long day though so I might just go home for a while, to be honest I don't really care about the history of rcsi, it's hard enough getting info out of them about the present! I'll see, if people are just going to hang around for a while and get to know each other I'll obviously stick around too. Btw, thanks for the directions!

Hehe, yeah me too. I live near enough that I could go home to recharge my batteries but I'm goin to play it by ear. Plus, like you say, it's been so hard to glean any info from the college that I don't want to miss a thing. There might be hstoric reasons that admissions won't tell us anything lol

I just found another thing on the net ( a newsletter that RCSI send to their alumni) that says they got so much more money thatn they thought they would that the new school of pharmacy will be ready for 1st years in 2004 instead of in 2005! We'll have brilliant equipment and labs and everything :) I was thinking, it'll be good cos 2nd, 3rd and 4th years won't know their way round that building either so we won't look quite as conspicuous. On the downside, we've nobody to ask directions from!

• Advertisement
Advertisement