Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Breeze home only available in Bray

• 15-09-2004 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Jumped on this this morning. Called in, got offered Breeze Home and accepted, I'll post back when it actually arrives.

The Breeze home product is now only offered in Bray apparantly, their website is being updated to reflect this too. 35 yo's a month and as I've no phone line at home, I've no line rental. I'll just use Skype to make landlines calls if needed.

512KB up and down, unlimted download capacity, contention of 20:1. So, is this a good deal or what?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

hshortt wrote:
    512KB up and down, unlimted download capacity, contention of 20:1. So, is this a good deal or what?
    If it's using "licensed spectrum" it could be, but if it's using the 2.4GHz spectrum, then you may encounter variable amounts of interference that will seriously impact your broadband experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ordered breeze 1mb lite off them a week ago getting an installation date on friday.

where in bray you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Specified that I wanted 5.8Ghz equipment due to existing 2.4Ghz appliances causing interference, hope that get's me what I want.

I'm just off the Vevay road around Tesco's there, what about you?

As I don't have phone line at all, I'm going to use Skype, have you tried it and if so have you used any normal phones with it.

I'm checking out the various adapters that will enable you to connect any type of normal phone to the pc for making and receiving VOIP Calls or Calls to Landlines/mobiles.

Cheers

just down by pres college.

when i rang them the first time, they said to me that you cannot be on the 5.8ghz gear on the 512/512 product only on the 1024/1024, but i'd say if you haggled with the installer he'd give you the 5.8ghz.

i can't wait to get it installed :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Lol I doubht it:)

They don't bring an endless supply of radios onsite with themand the set up is different on Ibb's side

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I have the 1024/1024 5.8Ghz in Bray, works like a charm.

I haven't used Skype with IBB but I have used it on other connections. It's certainly not like a circuit switched phone. If you hit latency, which you will, the sound will just pause until the "line" catches up. It's very confusing for the person at the other end. Right now I get pings in the region of 125ms to skype.com which is probably ok-ish. I've also thought of getting rid of my phone line, but not until there are VoIP numbers. I would probably like to use an Irish VoIP provider as well to keep the latency down and get better local call rates.

And... 3.5Ghz is not available in Bray. I got the impression from the installer that 3.5Ghz is presently only used by Ripwave, and they're testing it for fixed wireless. But I could be wrong.

blaster99 where abouts in bray are you (i promise not to stalk you) just wanna know how far you're away from the windgates tower.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I use skype with both iolbb and Ibb and have rarely had a problem,
    Unless myself or someone else on the network is using amazing bandwidth

I'm about 1km from Windgates, along the Southern Cross. The 5.8GHz VL service is apparently good for 10km's so you have nothing to worry about so long as you can see the tall mast up there.

• Advertisement

Well I'll be happy to get it once I do, how long were you waiting for your installation Blaster?

I called again yesterday to make sure that they had me on their system and they do, which is great. I hope it won't take weeks and weeks but who knows.

On another note about Skype. I've found some pretty cool connectors that are available from mentions in the forums, essentially an in-line connector for your standard Irish home phone which connects it to a USB port. Meaning, that if someone calls you on skype you could have a wireless home phone in the kitchen ring, you can use the same phone handset to call Skype users or any landline / mobile phone in the world. I think it's impressive! The site for the gizmo is http://www.phoneconnector.com/phoneconnector2/index.htm there's a couple of other sites and different type of Gizmo's mentioned too. Such as http://www.skype.net.cn

I'm looking forward to testing it out, slightly worried about latency!! Even my wife won't use unless I get a handset so the above gizmo will at least get her started!

Cheers guys

It took about two weeks. They called me 2-3 days before the installation to confirm the date/time.

The gizmo looks good but sounds a bit pricey.

I've heard of Irish VoIP providers but I haven't been able to Google my way to one that does a simple retail service like Skype. Anyone know of one?

That's cool, I had been thinking it would take about 6 weeks, but hoping about 2-3 max!

That phone connector is about 50 bucks, which is fine by me. I've been reading about various different ones in the Skype forums. Check the hardware section. Tested Skype today pc-pc and it was great clear and precise, and I was only on a crappie oul laptop. I also made 2 pc-mobile calls after paying in 11.50 including vat. I found the calls reasonable, I had no problems hearing people, just they commented that I sounded like I was behind a wall, but then the mic on the laptop is not great anyway. So I expect it will get better!

As for inbound, landline / mobile to pc. The forums are discussing Skype-in at the moment, so be sure to keep an eye on that development in the absence of any Irish voip providers.

Cheers

Advertisement