Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Javascript window question

Options
  • 15-09-2004 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭

hey guys,

got a question regarding usin the javascript 'close' function ni a webpage.

Basically, a webpage loads, and makes a call to a function that opens a new window, specific size, no menus, etc. Just a window.

But then I need to close the originating webpage, so I'm using the self.close() function. But it keeps popping up a message box looking for a "yes" or "no" answer. Does anyone know how I can make the original page close in the background without any further user intervention required?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Thats the second time I've been asked that question today. I don't know how.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What kind of Yes or No box? I've seen browsers enforce "This window is trying to close itself. Do wish to allow it?" before, and I've seen other browsers just allow windows to close themselves with no problems....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

seamus wrote:
    What kind of Yes or No box? I've seen browsers enforce "This window is trying to close itself. Do wish to allow it?" before, and I've seen other browsers just allow windows to close themselves with no problems....

T'is using IE (not my choice, but not my decision in this case either), and it gets some sort of "Do you wish to close this window: Y/N" type message. Can't recall the exact one I was shown, but that's the jist of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

AFAIK you can't get around it.... it's a security measure

Advertisement