Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Adapter for old PC.

• 15-09-2004 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭

Question. Im looking to connect an old gateway computer that is used as storage and internet access to a new PC via two wireless adapters and share files and net. The old PC is running Win98 first edition has USB1 and old stansard PCI slots.

I bought two SMC PCI adapters and the old PC didnt recognize the hardware. The spec said Win98SE and PCI version 2.2 or something. Anyway is there any wireless adapters out there people have TRIED and got working with older PCs? Will a USB adapter with Win98SE and USB2 specs work on my old PC? I dont want to have to return any more hardware.

Where do you think the problem is? Not having Win98 second edition? Old PCI slot version? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Stick a normal network card in the PC and hook it up to this:

http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/product.asp?pr=WGA11B&pm=2834

Either that or upgrade your OS...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

If i bought that for the old PC could i use a new 802.11g card with in in the new PC? Are those channels settings compatble with standard cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Dotsie~tmp wrote:
    I bought two SMC PCI adapters and the old PC didnt recognize the hardware. The spec said Win98SE and PCI version 2.2 or something. Anyway is there any wireless adapters out there people have TRIED and got working with older PCs? Will a USB adapter with Win98SE and USB2 specs work on my old PC? I dont want to have to return any more hardware.

Where do you think the problem is? Not having Win98 second edition? Old PCI slot version? Thanks for any help.

I have used a Netgear USB wireless connector on an old P II laptop without problems. I can't remember if it was 98SE or plain 98. It's in the wardrobe somewhere, I can dig it out if you really want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Dotsie~tmp wrote:
    If i bought that for the old PC could i use a new 802.11g card with in in the new PC? Are those channels settings compatble with standard cards.

That one in the link I posted is 802.11b - it's compatible with 802.11g, but the only problem is that all the rest of your 802.11g stuff will only run at 802.11b speeds (which kind of defeats the purpose of having the faster gear). If your access point and other cards are 802.11g, have a look at these faster ethernet bridges:

http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/products.asp?pm=2832

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

In the place I work in we sell a lot of SMC wireless gear, very few probs, but what you are saying is correct you do need at least Win98Se

So I go what chipzilla is saying thrown a normal nic and stick on a AP in bridge mode, and off ya go, its something we have done with almost 100% success
    -Toppy-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Thx for the help all. I think ill go with the nic, ap and wireless nic in new pc option.

Advertisement