Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring back the polls!

Options
  • 15-09-2004 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭

Hello. I just want to say that I feel very disappointed that polls are currently disabled on boards. I understand that some people might be annoyed and feel there was too many before. But would a solution not be to ration them ie only a 1 or 2 allowed per week, with a user being randomly selected to have polling-rights for that week? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Hello. I just want to say that I feel very disappointed that polls are currently disabled on boards. I understand that some people might be annoyed and feel there was too many before. But would a solution not be to ration them ie only a 1 or 2 allowed per week, with a user being randomly selected to have polling-rights for that week? :confused:

And what if the designated user doesn't use their polling rights that week? What would we do? Dear God think of the children...

Big NO from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

And what if the designated user doesn't use their polling rights that week? What would we do? Dear God think of the children...

Big NO from me.

Then it should be passed on to another random person until someone accepts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Then it should be passed on to another random person until someone accepts.

So you'll end up posting two polls every week then?

Bigger NO than the last time...in fact

NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

I was definitely not the only one putting up polls.

Anyway, all the other forums I've visited have them. As long as there isn't a flood of them I don't see the harm in them. A bit of democracy doesn't do anyone any harm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

A bit of democracy doesn't do anyone any harm
    Boards is a democracy???? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

MadsL wrote:
    Boards is a democracy???? :eek:
    Indeed. There is no democracy. Boards.ie is a property, a service, and a private one at that. Its not public, the people behind it can do as they please. Besides, democracy implies that some action will be taken after the decision; all the polls seemed to be able to get people to do was fight. Polls are a matter of opinion.

Anyhow, not only was the posts feature being frivioulsy flaunted by certain users, certain users could have done well to have avoided using polls, as their posted "options" were often far less than broad enough to cover the topic to which they had been attached, and some polls had crossed the line of sanity by a distance great enough to render it on the horizon...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

No to polls. Waste of time for everyone concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You should go to the forums forum and ask for a polls forum. They would probably make you moderator too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

No, because polls normally detract from debates; significantly polls detract from points made from all sides of any argument. The questions and answers can be, and usually are, one-sided.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Heres a short answer especially for you arcadegame as you were one of the biggest abusers of Polls on this forum and the originator of numerous complaints to the mods because of this. Polls are not coming back for the foreseeable future. The only people that can over rule this is the admins. You are most welcome to waste space posting to the feedback forum about this but if I see one more post here about it I will be very unhappy!!

Thread Closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement