Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holland out of French clash!

• 15-09-2004 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Keane-Kav partnership against France would be my first choice even with everyone fit so I'm not disappointed.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/worldcup2006/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=13577
    Republic of Ireland midfielder Matt Holland has been ruled out of next month’s World Cup qualifier against France in Paris due to the ankle injury that has disrupted the Charlton skipper’s season so far.

Holland has been out of action since being stretchered off in the Addicks’ opening Premiership match against Bolton Wanderers at the Reebok that the home side won 4-0.

The former Ipswich midfielder missed Ireland’s opening two World Cup qualifiers against Cyprus and Switzerland earlier this month with Graham Kavanagh and Kevin Kilbane deputising for the experienced campaigner.

Charlton’s medical staff have pencilled in their Premiership clash with Newcastle United on October 17th as a possible comeback date for the 29-year-old.

Irish manager Brian Kerr will be disappointed to have his full squad available for the clash with the French, who have started their campaign poorly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

damn !! Thats a set back. I would go for Kavanagh too. I hope there arent to many more injuries.
    Irish manager Brian Kerr will be disappointed to have his full squad available for the clash with the French, who have started their campaign poorly.

Us or them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Matt Holland is crap so that's no loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Matt Holland is crap so that's no loss.
    Exactly. I didn't want to use this word but I'm delighted. :D

When was his last good game for Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Holland's last good game was the Cameroon game in the World Cup in 2002.

Wouldnt wish injury on any sportsman (well maybe just Earl the Pearl Strickland) but I wont miss Mattie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Not much of a loss.....when is Steven Reid due back from injury? prob wont be before France game but the sooner the better! with him playing along side Keane/Healy(when he returns) the midfield will be sorted....with Kananagh on bench dont think even Holland wud get into squad! maybe taking Kilbanes spot but cant see that happen with the form Kilbane is in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Not much of a loss in my opinion although hes not as bad as some perceive. I think Kav is a more than adequate replacement and much better for comedy lip reading value.

Regarding Steven Reid, I dont think he will ever play regularly for Ireland again. I think the midfield of the future will be Andy Reid, Miller, Healy, Duff with Keane and Elliot up front. I just dont rate Steven Reid at all apart from one good surge down the wing against the Cameroon hes done very little to inspire my confidence in his football ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

Draupnir wrote:
    Regarding Steven Reid, I dont think he will ever play regularly for Ireland again. I think the midfield of the future will be Andy Reid, Miller, Healy, Duff with Keane and Elliot up front.

The way Finnan is playing at the moment for Liverpool he has got to be considered for right mid for Ireland!

How about this team?

Given
    Carr--O'Brien--Cunningham----O'Shea
    Finnan--Reid/Kavanagh--Keane--Duff
    Morrison---Keane

Subs: Miller, Harte, Kenny, Connolly, Kilbane, Breen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I like the look of that, Id really like to see Stephen Elliot called up though, 3 goals already for Sunderland in the league this season. Must warrant a place in the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Given
    Carr--O'Brien--Cunningham----O'Shea
    Finnan--Reid/Kavanagh--Keane--Duff
    Morrison---Keane

Subs: Miller, Harte, Kenny, Eliott, Kilbane, Dunne

Would leave out Connolly! hasnt scored yet this season and call up Eliott who will get a good run now in team with Kyle is out till Jan.....will bring him on leaps and bounds.....also I think that Dunne deserves a call up.,....has been the best player for Man City the last 6-9months and has never let Ireland down......Breen has had his day! apart from that seems ok!

Healy will be fully fit by the end of the month and hopes to be back playing then! glad to see him return! good midfield who will improve with playing alongside Keane!

I like the look of that, Id really like to see Stephen Elliot called up though, 3 goals already for Sunderland in the league this season. Must warrant a place in the squad.

If Elliot is getting regular first team football and is scoring goals I would give him the nod over Clinton who doesnt look like he is getting first team football

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

If Elliot is getting regular first team football and is scoring goals I would give him the nod over Clinton who doesnt look like he is getting first team football

How can you give the nod to an untested striker at this level against a player who has probably the best workrate in the team at present and has scored 2 in 2 games in qualifying so far?

Playing in the premiership or any other league does not equate to international football. Holland himself is a solid player at club level, always has been. He has rarely managed to step up to that level at international level.

The midfield is the biggest worry for my as it kinda dictates how we play. Duff MUST stay on the left wing. The question is whether or not we play a solid remaining 3 midfielders or look to Reid for creative influence.

IMHO Reid didn't have a bad game againts the Swiss, but rather the midfield set up and the way the players around him played didn't give him enough of the ball and they didn't give him the space or movement infront of him that he needed when he did get it. He made 3-4 exquisite passes that were either wasted by Robbie Keane or that glorious ball that was wrongly deemed offside.

Personally I'd go with a Kavanagh/Keane centre and allow Reid on the right.
    If this doesn't work out in the first 30 minutes a swap for kilbane will give the midfield a more solid look, but means we are soley reliant on Kavanaghs passing and Duff excursions for our attacking.

Dunno about that. As an aside, what's the story this hotly tipped McGeady youngster who plays for Celtic and who has declared for Ireland? I haven't seem him play for Celtic yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Ardent wrote:
    Dunno about that. As an aside, what's the story this hotly tipped McGeady youngster who plays for Celtic and who has declared for Ireland? I haven't seem him play for Celtic yet?
    He plays for Ireland U-21s for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Please don't think i'm mad for going through all this trouble to get the truth about Holland's performances but there were too many people on another forum saying Holland is one of our most consistent players and is definitely a loss:
    http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=162630&postcount=16

Given
    Carr--O'Brien--Cunningham--Finnan
    Reid---Kavanagh---Keane---Duff
    Morrison---Keane

What is the point on taking one of the U21's best players out of their team to put him on the bench? I want to U-21's qualifying so unless Elliott is going to be playing I wouldn't take him out. Also, Kerr will never give a player his debut in a competitive match.

king hell eirebhoy! That's that then. Holland is no loss. :D

thats pretty damning of Holland and brings it all back. Maybe kavanagh would be a better option.

regarding Clinton, I think he works very hard and those 2 goals he got were well deserved. The only thing is whether he is getting first team football. It doesnt matter how good you are, it is a prerequisite for playing. I would rather have Elliot in the squad than someone like Connolly.

As for Reid. Is he really up to the task on the right ? I dont think he is at the moment. Although there looks like there is lots of potential there

Advertisement