Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this true?

Options
  • 15-09-2004 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

My friend told me that if you get your toung pierced that (a) it doesn't hurt, and (b) that it messes up your teeth.
    I'll be gettin my toung pierced next year and i wanna know if these are true.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Answer on a) depends on pain tolerance, but mine didn't hurt and many people I've talked to said it didn't bother them either. the next day on some people can be a bit awqard eating but you can just eat at the side of your mouth
    Answer on b) true again, it kind of makes them weaker in some way over time,, but you can get bars with plastic balls so the steel doesn't go against your teeth, but maybe someone else could word this better..
    I also read in another thread you're 14.. you most likely will have a problem getting your tounge pierced..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Sasper

Hiya the questions in the title, Happy?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I rememebr seeing a sing in metalmorpheous that to get your tounge you have to be 18, or 17 with a parent(just pull someone off the street)
    but if you look a really younge 14, they won't pierce you because tis a body piercing and not like getting your ears/nose pierced with a gun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

As far as I know the problem is that the ball erodes the enamel on your teeth. Same with lip piercings I think (unfortunately enough).

Since this is a "is this true?" thread, I've heard some stories which I'm believing to be urban myths about tongue piercing. - Is it true if they pierce it wrong "it'll die and you'll have a new tongue growing ontop of the old one"? 'Cause this just sounds stupid to me. :rolleyes:

About the age thing - a friend of mine who's 14 got her tongue pierced, don't know where though but I'm pretty certain she didn't have any parental permission.

Probably got it done down some back alleyway/by one of her friends though.. and I mean, do you really want to trust a place which will allow people underage to get pierced? If they're not gonna abide by one law...

that, "new toung" thing sounds wrong. But hillarious, sorry, im able to get my belly button pierced, and thats part of my body, how do they piece you toung?
    Also, my friend is like the biggest waffler, she said that if you get the top of your ear pierce that it is like one of the sorest places, Thats a load of ****, rite?
    And i heard that gettin your eyebrow pierced is one of the most dangerious places to get done cause if they mess it up they could hit amain blood vestle and you could die.
    and i look 15 i could pass for 16 to 17 if i tried though.

• Advertisement

I think the pain thing really varies from person to person. I can't comment on it because I only have the bog standard ear lobe piercings, but from what people say it seems to vary.

I also heard one that "if you get the cartlidge pierced with a gun it could shatter and you'd lose the top of your ear"...

I didn't think there were any main blood vessels in the face, but... *shrugs*
    I think anywhere pierced wrongly can be dangerous anyway, so it really depends on who's piercing you.

When i got the top of my ear done I actualy thought it was very sore years back, it just wouldn't settle down, but its grand now.. 10 years on

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Aye my tongue piercing is one of my favourite piercings,
    painwise its ok,but since the line down the middle of your tongue is just dead skin,holding two giant muscles on either side of your tongue together the pain factor isnt that much,theres a small sheet of muscle on the top and bottom of your tongue and the only pain you'll feel is the needle going throught them two.
    your tongue swells up for a few hours and all you can eat is soup and mashy potatoes for a few days afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The top of the ear, the helix, is actually quite painful. Nothing I wouldn't do again (Have to, considering they got infected and I took them out) but still quite painful. They have a greater tendency to get infected though than other piercings and caring for them is as bitch. They seem to hit off everything possible.

I can imagine hair brushing would be rather traumatic with one of those. Erk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Quite, especially since I had long hair at the time. And moshing was a bad idea as well. One of the balls got ripped out of my BCR.

How pleasant.
    </sarcasm>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

As far as I know the problem is that the ball erodes the enamel on your teeth. Same with lip piercings i think

Ya that's true- a friend of mine had to take out hers because it had worn away at the gum, and if she kept it in there would be a possibility of her bottom front teeth falling out! Nasty!

Such a shame, because they're such nice piercings. =/
    Are there not any types, like plastic balls or whatever that don't erode?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

I also heard one that "if you get the cartlidge pierced with a gun it could shatter and you'd lose the top of your ear"...

nah thats "ear collapsing" happens very rarely with bad infections ( correct me if im wrong/

and yes the top of hear ( helix ) hurts, because the majority of the ears nerves are locared there. i got there and my conche pierced in a scaffold and the helix was worse. but thats just me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Probably got it done down some back alleyway/by one of her friends though.. and I mean, do you really want to trust a place which will allow people underage to get pierced? If they're not gonna abide by one law...

There are actually no laws in Ireland on piercing/tattoing afair(did a project on the legality of body modification over the summer) apart from the standard health and safety regulations that apply to most workplaces. The Department of Health and Children were meant to bring in regulations in 2001...nothing happened. Basically, piercers are at their own discretion about the age they pierce people, although one will notice that most of them operate on a '16 with parent, 18 without' basis, and some won't perform stapling or pocketing until the customer is 21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Are there not any types, like plastic balls or whatever that don't erode?

To be honest mate I don't really know, sorry! Tho I'd say it'd make little or no difference, or even make it worse- plastic might rub off the gum more!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Sasper wrote:
    Also, my friend is like the biggest waffler, she said that if you get the top of your ear pierce that it is like one of the sorest places, Thats a load of ****, rite?.

Aload of bulls!te is it? You told me it was one of the sorest places and you didn't say it was bullsh!te then.....
    Sasper wrote:
    and i look 15 i could pass for 16 to 17 if i tried though.

No you couldn't. Don't delude yourself. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭toxic_angel

To be honest mate I don't really know, sorry! Tho I'd say it'd make little or no difference, or even make it worse- plastic might rub off the gum more!

u can get plastic.... or even better is enamel balls... dentists recommend enamel ones ask ur piercist if they dont have them they can order them....

enamel i find more fun they lighter and most of them are naturally uv sensitive so they glow in nightclubs

enjoy it
    play safe
    play sanitary

yo gummybearz, my friend from irish college said that to me so i repeated it to you. And don't be a spa, and if ya don't believe me ask fahy

• Advertisement

W/e I didn't mean to sound harsh, *big hug* Am I still comin wit ya to get your belly done?. Is it true that if your really skinny you cant get your belly done? If so, why?

...because there won't be any skin to pierce, it'll be just done? :rolleyes:

Well theres always gonna be SOME skin to pierce, anyway, If you're skinny its less painful cos theres less skin to go through.

If you're skinny, you'll also have less blood and less iron and white blood cells, which would mean longer healing periods

Skinnier people don't necessarily have less blood, they just have less Fat to send blood to. There is a difference

Then why cna't people under 9 stone donate blood? :)
    because if they did they'd be weaker cause they generally have less blood...

Under 9 stone? Yes, I am so guilt free now. I can laugh in the face of those ads.. then get looks.

Yeah but your 14 arent you? So you shouldn't be giving blood anyway

Well your 'supposed' to be 16+ for a body piercing in which case you're gonna be a fairly adult weight which is over 9 stone.

Yes, (15 in 9 days though, yay) but I still felt guilty. Now I have a medical reason too.

Is the problem with the weight the healing? Or just the lack of skin to pierce in the case of bellypiercings? 'Cause... my friend who got her tongue pierced isn't over 9 stone, and another friend of mine who DEFINITELY isn't over 9 stone got her nose pierced...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

Well it all depends on where you get it done. Some places in Dublin allow people under 16 to get it done, basically just to get some business. My friend got here belly done when she was 13 in town somewhere, what a joke. But yeah!!!

Advertisement