Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Astra 2 kompass bearing

• 15-09-2004 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Does some one have the compass bearing for Astra 2? I need the bearing shown on a compass and not one of these idiotic east of south, which the magazines give. Who ever came up with this strange idea anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Scania wrote:
    Does some one have the compass bearing for Astra 2? I need the bearing shown on a compass and not one of these idiotic east of south, which the magazines give. Who ever came up with this strange idea anyway?

Well since south is 180 degrees its easy to work out, theres nothing idiotic about the idea as it allows you to work out a bearing from anywhere on the planet. A compass bearing for someone in Dublin will not be exactly the same as someone in Galway for example.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Scania

I am looking for the compass bearing for Dublin/Wicklow.
    As I don't have any up to date map giving me the difference between magnetic north and true north, I thought maybe someone might have the compass bearing, which gives the value in relation to magnetic north.
    I have looked on internet to see, if it appeared on a website, but no luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

There's not much point making a huge effort trying to figure out differences between magnetic and true south, because you'll never align the dish exactly using compass bearings alone. In any case, the dish itself will throw off the compass if you're close to it.

FWIW a compass bearing of 150 (or 30E of S) will get you in the right ball park. Or where the sun is between 11.30 and 12 noon.

So did you work out why your pictures were in black and white?

I agree wholheartedly, dont get hung up on compass position, its only a rough guide, the sun really is the best indicator of direction.

Tony

Zaphod wrote:
    There's not much point making a huge effort trying to figure out differences between magnetic and true south, because you'll never align the dish exactly using compass bearings alone. In any case, the dish itself will throw off the compass if you're close to it.

FWIW a compass bearing of 150 (or 30E of S) will get you in the right ball park. Or where the sun is between 11.30 and 12 noon.

So did you work out why your pictures were in black and white?

I found out that the reason I only got black and white was that the scart cable had to be in 2nd scart connection on the TV. I now get good quality colour reception on both Astra 1 and Hotbird (depending on which I turn the dish to).

By the way should the dish tilt be the same for Astra 2 as Astra 1?

I am busy moving the dish around the garden to see where I can find a gap in the neighbours leylandia and beach-trees, which stand uphill from me.

• Advertisement

No, you'll need to decrease the elevation by 4 degrees relative to Astra19E.

After moving the dish around twelve different places in the garden I finally found the gap between the trees. I now have a reception of around 80% both quality and strengh and a very good quality picture.

One final question: my neighbour wonders if he can take a split from my satelitte cable?

Not unless he buys you a dual output LNB.

Absolutely not as this would be a breach of electrical safety regulations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Tony wrote:
    Absolutely not as this would be a breach of electrical safety regulations
    Thats interesting. Never thought that such a thing would come into play. So how much lecky runs through to the lnb and would such a scenario leave your house insurance invalid?

• Advertisement

Eurorunner wrote:
    Thats interesting. Never thought that such a thing would come into play. So how much lecky runs through to the lnb and would such a scenario leave your house insurance invalid?

Only 18v runs through but I think the main concern is earth isolation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Could be yer house insurance does not allow you to run wires into another house in case there is a fire and the blame game starts. One wonders how Cable TV companies get away with it :D

Back to the original question.

The compass bearing , tilt of the dish and twist from vertical of the LNB can be checked with this really useful program from Sweden called SMWLink 3

http://www.smw.se/

Advertisement