Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU Gym & sports facilities?

Options
  • 15-09-2004 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any experience of using the DCU gym? What do you think of it in general?

And what's the craic with booking a basketball court for some casual basketball practice (nothing serious)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I think I used the gym twice :rolleyes: It's a hell of a lot cheaper than joining an external gym and it has pretty good facilities, Bikes, step machines, rowers, all the usuall weight training equipment and those rolling frames for situps.
    Also you can pay €5 and get a training programme done for yourself.

You can book courts for whatever sport you're doing, but you most likely won't get an evening time as that's a proprietry time for clubs. Can't remember what it costs though. I don't think it would be more than €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ulto

Can students use the gym for free or do they have to pay a fee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

ulto wrote:
    Can students use the gym for free or do they have to pay a fee?

Its about 2 euro to use the gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

L5 wrote:
    Its about 2 euro to use the gym
    Its €1.50 with a student card. The busyest times are early in the week.
    What do you think of it in general?
    Quite good. definately value for money
    And what's the craic with booking a basketball court for some casual basketball practice (nothing serious)?
    Its around €16 per hour before 5pm, a few € more after

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ulto

Any ideas how much the new pool will be?

Cant wait to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Will they be doing swimming lessons? Is it fully built yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

OFDM wrote:
    Will they be doing swimming lessons? Is it fully built yet?

its fully built and finished since months ago. Apparantly it wont be open for a few months because they havent arranged the prices for students yet. They want to charge students a fortune to use it, but the SU are in talks with them or something. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

The situation as I know it is that they want to bring all campus sports facilities under one management. That means pool complex, sports complex and saint claires. Until they find someone to fill the position of overall manager they won't be opening the pool complex.
    It's expected to be open by the second semester.
    And I believe they want to charge the clubs to use it aswell which will be a huge expense for them. They most likely won't get far with that idea. It fell through when they tried to bring it in for the sports halls aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭theprofessor

it think the pricing in the gym is nuts! I know DCU has mortgages out on ever new building around but they are definitely NOT cheaper than external gyms.

I was in total fitness last year; it cost €366 for the year and no entrance fee. Their facilities are far far better than DCU. When I was there, I went 5 days a week. and if anyone has noted, the prices in DCU are increasing/have increased to €2 before 18:00 and €2.50 after 18:00. So that would be €520 per year if you went before 6 and €650 per year if you want after 18:00. (Obviously at 5 days a week). That is a hell of a lot of money for what is at the moment, quite a poor gym.

does anyone know if there will be new gym facilities in the swimming pool complex?

Advertisement