Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man UTD Vs Lyon (inc. scores)

• 15-09-2004 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

2-0 down and it doesnt look pretty. Man utd are all over the place, giving away possession and no evidence of hard work by any of the players. I think its time for Fergie to call it a day unless they manage to qualify past this group stages.

Howard is CRAP and should have sorted out the wall properly and caught that ball.

Roy keane isnt doing any of his shouting routine, maybe thats the problem

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

a lot better from utd. good goal by van nistleroy and Ronaldo did well to keep going for it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Roy keane isnt doing any of his shouting routine, maybe thats the problem
    Is it a problem because Johnny Giles and Eamonn Dunphy says so?

2-1 now.. United slightly better in the second half..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

How Lyon aren't ahead I don't know. Two gilt-edged chances gone to waste in the last couple of minutes.

ManYoo were absolute MUCK in the first half, a total shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

How Lyon aren't ahead I don't know. Two gilt-edged chances gone to waste in the last couple of minutes.

ManYoo were absolute MUCK in the first half, a total shambles.

True I can only hope Rio will solve our defensive problems when he returns If not we're doomed. Howard getting criticsm again but he made some good saves tonight too and that defence could make any keeper look bad. Just look at the space Junhino had for that last kick of the game.
    A Lucky Point for us .

BTW Paul Scholes is a great back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Terrible performance, we got out of jail there. Every set piece we looked like conceding a goal. On the plus, thats the best I've seen O'Shea play in a United shirt in a while. Also I really like the look of Heinze, hes really impressed me in his 2 matches so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

2-2, cant actually say I think Man Utd deserved the draw, lyon had 2 chances in the second half (1 the player ended up in the net instead of the ball, the 2nd hit the post). It could have easily been 4-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Howard was dreadful for the first goal, that's two mistakes in two games I am surprised there are not more calling for his head. Still a draw away from home is a good result and nice for Van Nistelrooy to get back on the scoresheet, hopefully he is all scored out for the Monday night game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

talla wrote:
    =Also I really like the look of Heinze, hes really impressed me in his 2 matches so far.

Agree with that its early days yet but has impressed me to date too.
    When Utd get the first choice defenders back and with Rooney to come into the team I think if they weather the storm until then they could do well in the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

talla wrote:
    On the plus, thats the best I've seen O'Shea play in a United shirt in a while.
    O'Shea is a much better right back than left back (as he's naturally right footed) but Neville has cemented his name for that position over the years. No one has held onto the left back spot at United in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Howard made some great saves (as did scholes :p ) but was at fault for the first goal. I still say keep playing him for now.

Great to see van the man back and getting on the scoresheet twice. He went off and the commentators said he'd signalled to come off. Hope its nothing serious.

Man u deserved to loose and still managed the draw which is the only encouragement i can get from the game. Anyone see how disappointed and tired Ferguson looked at the post match interview. Im starting to get a bit worried now tbh. The fast flowiung football has gone except for sparks. Ronaldo is really getting better tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Ferguson looked depressed and dejected after the match. In many years of watching united I've never seen him like that. It was as if I was listening to a different person.

VanNistelrooy got two despite looking far below his best (to be expected after the injury).
    Heinze looked impressive again and was an example to the team in terms of making an effort.
    Ronaldo looked good going forward but he should have been given a deck chair to sit in when they lost the ball. All that pace and he won't chase back after losing the ball.
    Djemba-Djemba was lazy and lacked concentration.
    As for Howard and Sylvestre, the less said the better.

Centre backs aside, of the entire team only Heinze, Scholes and Keane really made any effort to get back in defensive situations. I know this sounds strange and slightly melodramatic but I had a mental image of last years Leeds about 15 places up the table when I watched the match.

United will walk through thr group even if they play like this regularly. The real problem I see is that after five Premiership games they're nine behind Arsenal and seven behind Chelsea and they go to Liverpool on Monday, who while still lacking cohesion as a Team, have far more grit and determination. You can't lose that many points to teams with Arsenal or Chelsea's class this early in the season.

The big difference I see between United now and two years ago is that back then when United lost/drew a game it was normally because of two things:

- The defence was porous (as it often was).
    - The play broke down in the final third.

Now you can see flashes of quality when they have the ball but ulitmately everything is falling apart in the middle of the pitch. You don't lose that midfield quality because you sell one good but over-rated right foot with advertising vechicle attached.

In the oft quoted words: "Something smells rotten in the state of ...".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

In years to come we will all be saying "we seen the great Ronaldo playing" that lad is getting better and better every time i see him. Although not complete the guy has everything a perfect winger needs ,pace skill ability ghost 2 to 3 players at a time. And his 1st time crossing is improving. needs to work on kicking the ball harder but jebus when he gets going he certainly put the willies up defenders.

Utd were poor i putting 20 on them today to win it outright. Cant see them paying much poorer than that and getting somfin from the game.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

I was hopind that Fergie would play Smith instead of Scholes and pull scholes back into the centre mid posi. Would make the team a lot more offensive and a bi more dodgy at the back, granted, but the way the defence is leaking goals the extra firepower is needed.

Theres gonna be a lot of pressure on Rio. Ive been a fan of Silvestre for a while now but my enthusiasm is waning. Hes making mistakes. Brown has been playing quite well and hope that once we have Rio back (and even older neville) that our def will tighten up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We were as lucky as sh*te. Waaaay to much dead wood there tbh.
    Giggs is really running out of chances are is Djemb and O'Shea
    Silvestre will play better with Rio beside him
    Definately Heinze is a good defender from what I have seen of him so far, gets stuck in.
    RVN and Ronnie were by a mile the best players.
    Scholes is not impressing me at the minute but he did save 2 goal bound efforts.
    Rio and Rooney can only but improve the team, still think we are missing creativity in midfield

Advertisement