Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband penetration rates - percentages?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

We are assuming here that only people who live inside towns with populations greater than 1500 are even eligible to receive ADSL. We all know of eircom's ridiculous distance limits (which is AFAIK the sole reason stopping me receiving ADSL) but I would imagine that some houses pretty close to towns could receive DSL. In that case, the amount of households/population who can avail of DSL would be closer to IMO 70% or more. In my case I'm connected to the Drogheda exchange but am 3.75 miles from it.

Could anyone provide us with the figure for the exact distance limit eircom uses and if they have any plans to increase this in the future? I shouldn't be hopeful of this though.

Btw I asked a certain Thomas Ryan of eircom if they had any plans to increase the distance limit and he replied that he could not answer the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Could anyone provide us with the figure for the exact distance limit eircom uses and if they have any plans to increase this in the future? I shouldn't be hopeful of this though.

even eircom cannot provide a distance limit for their lines.
    The standard says 4.5 kms for ADSL.
    BTs implementation of ADSL2 stretches over 6km, sometimes up to
    10km. In fact BT DO NOT have any limits as such for 512k ADSL.

The reason eircom use pathetic distance limits, they often quote 2.5kms,
    is the woeful state of the copper in the ground. So they use these fictional
    limits to hide a multitude of reasons/excuses for not supplying DSL.

Advertisement