Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your First Piercing

Options
  • 16-09-2004 1:34am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Ok,im just after noticing that a lot of young people read this thread and theres a few pointers for first piercings that i know a lot of people already know but there was a time when we didnt know
    • Piercing Parlour :
      Make sure the piercing shop you are going into is clean ,nothing worse than a dirty shop.If in doubt,get out.A few clean shops would be Snakebite and Celestial Ring if you need to know.
    • Piercing Equipment :
      GUNS ARE A NO-NO ,people using guns dont know what they are doing and a gun can do more damage than good.Make sure your piercer is using clean needles.If at all possible make sure you see him/her remove it from the sterilisation wrapper beforehand just so you know that it is actually a clean needle.
    • Piercing by friends/yourself :
      I know piercings are a bit on the dear side and getting your mothers sweing needle,placing a lighter to it and shoving it through you body sounds a whole lot cheaper than paying some guy to do it for you but seriously,it is not a good idea.You dont know what you are doin,what veins you are going through and most of all lighting a needle with a lighter is not piercing clean,I know a few of us have done it ourselves here but it is seriously not suggested.

Will update when i can think of more

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

GaRtH_V wrote:
    GUNS ARE A NO-NO ,unless your getting ears done

I personally wouldnt recommend a gun even for ears.The damage that a gun can do to flesh/cartilage is unbelievable and cause terrible healing problems.

But keep adding to this and Ill sticky it.
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Use antibac soap on it every day afterwards, so it doesn't bcome infected.

The pain only lasts a few seconds, waiting for it is the worst part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

there used to be a great one called Dettox which I found really good and used to shower with whenever my first piercing infected but I cant find it anymore, it is made by Dettol and used to be in Tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Treat it as a healing wound and don't just walk out of the parlour thinking it's all over. There's going to be aftercare. You won't be able to do anything like moshing or anything until it's properly healed. Learned that the hard way myself.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Most proper piercing shops will provided you with an aftercare sheet to show you how to clean your piercings. Best way to clean a new piercing,i find,is to jump in the shower twice a day and clean the area with an antibac soap(you can get these from your piercer).
    The one thing you have to watch out for is infection ,this can cause a lot of problems for your piercing.Infection happens if the piercer is using dirty needles/jewellery or you just havent taken care of it enough so it got dirty itself.
    Oh,just as a side note :
    • Migration :
      Not every part of your body can accept metal stuck through it so migration can occur,this is where the body starts to reject the piercing and you can end up with a nasty scar in place of a piercing.Most common rejections happen in the eyebrow area.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

• Infection :
      If you've had a piercing for a while and it still hurts,with green puss and whatnot coming out of it,chances are its still infected.When you get an infection,DO NOT TAKE OUT THE JEWELLERY,unless your piercer says to,ive been told this can make the infection worse,personally ive never had an infection as i clean all my piercings religiously when i get them.
      Go straight to your piercer and get it checked he/she will tell you what to do next
    • Cleaning :
      Upon getting a new piercing you should be given an aftercare sheet with detials on how to clean your piercing,I find that the best thing to do is get the ear cleaner from claires accessories(its nice and cheap,instead of forking out a few more quid for the same stuff in your local piercing shop) and clean the area around the piercing when you wake up and before you go to sleep for 2 weeks after you get it done and then once a day after till its all healed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

Guns*shudder*.I got my ear (rim) done with a gun , big mistake.
    It was still unhealed after about 11 months so i took it out and there is a pretty big and dark scar there(for the size of the piercing).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Guy ya plank ya! Would you not think about the fact that it's a gun for about three seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

"Migration :
    Not every part of your body can accept metal stuck through it so migration can occur,this is where the body starts to reject the piercing and you can end up with a nasty scar in place of a piercing.Most common rejections happen in the eyebrow area."

Migration is where the piercing moves to a position it's happier with though it's not neccesarily better.

Rejection of the piercing is when it grows out of the body.

Any surface piercing is likely to reject especially if it's in an area that gets a lot of tugging or bumps eg. trousers catching on a navel piercing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

try an keep your body heathly before you get pierced and during the healing. I've always found that they heal alot faster when i'm in tip top condition

(same with tattoo's)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭eoin_f

Piercing Equipment :
    GUNS ARE A NO-NO ,people using guns dont know what they are doing

too bloody true
    from personal experience, had first piercing with a gun and was my navel on lower half, bad idea, took so long to heal and infected so many times. too young to know enough about it, learned my lesson though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Aw. :(

I thought this thread was going to be stories about our first piercings!

And I had my blood and gore story all lined up! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I won't complain if you post your blood and gore story.
    That might make an interesting thread, except that a lot of people's first piercing might have been the aul ear piercing when they were like.. 3, so it wouldn't make for an interesting read.

Perhaps a "Piercing Experiences" thread or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭mfitz

My frist piercing was last year it was a nape the piercer asked if i wanted a high or low one i said high and the bitch did it on my back :| lol Two days later it ripped out in my sleep *ouch* it was the piercers first surface piercing lol

If you're careless enough to get a piercing infected. (I have a really nice nipple piercing that was infected for about 11 months.) I would heartily recommend a bread poultice. Wash your piercing with warm salty water (saline solution) the get a slice of white bread, and slam it on the piercing for about 5-10 minutes. I think its the yeast or something, but it sucks all the gicky stuff out. Wash it down with some anti-bac (Radox make a reall nice one) and, voila, you'll be healed!!

(Don't make toast with the bread though afterward :eek: , that would be disturbing...) :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

best way to poultice is if you soak the bread in hot water wait for it to cool to body temp at place it on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

guns
    i got my nose done with a gun. and lotsa cartilege. don't.

Advertisement