Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some help please!

Options
  • 16-09-2004 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I am having serious issues with Direct X. The dianostic tool crashes my pc, I can move the mouse then the pc just freezes. Anything which needs DirectX to run and make my graphics card work either blue screens me or freezes. I have Direct X 8 or 8.1 which came with XP Pro, my graphics card is a Siluro FX5200 made by ABIT, Athlon XP 2800+, 2.09 GHZ and 512 MB of RAM. I'm going through all Windows updates as I have just formatted and reinstalled XP Pro, I've updated everything with Windows update including service pack 2.BCCode : 100000ea BCP1 : 822002D8 BCP2 : 8213A678 BCP3 : F896DCB4
    BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1
    C:\DOCUME~1\Dave\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7183.dir00\Mini091604-01.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\Dave\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7183.dir00\sysdata.xml

If any other info is needed then please ask.
    If anybody can help, please do!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

update your direct x,
    i think its at 9.1 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 billdemott

I have Direct x 9.0 c and I still have the same problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Just a thought is the 5200 direct x 9 compatible?...or was that the MX's which where only direct X 8 compatible?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭MazdaMan

Have you updated the Graphics drivers from www.nvidia.com also check to make sure the card is seated correctly in the AGP slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Yeah - MazdaMan is correct - your first port of call should be to get new drivers....

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if it's compatible with DirectX 9 or not. My brother fitted the card for me and I trust he done correctly. I'll get the new drivers and see if that makes a difference. I noticed that if I disable the display drivers and run the Direct X dia tool that it's fine because it doesn't run anything in 3D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

ok firstly this card is directx 9x compatible, its a good card secondly even if it was not fully compatible, it would not cause the windows to crash in this way.

drivers are important, however it is also unlikely that even using the XP default nvidia drivers it would cause a crash like this. I doubt that upgrading the drivers will fix this, but you should do this anyway.

Now some questions, when did this problem start, did it start when you upgraded your card?, did you make any changes, did it ever work ok?

Does it only crash when you use dxdiag?

is this card overclocked?, is your cpu over clocked?, what power supply do you have?

the XP drivers made it crash or froze it, this problem started not long after I upgraded my main board and processer, no other changes were made. It crashes with the Dxdia and anything else that uses Direct3D like Dirext X, the card and cpu are not overclocked. Power supply is 480W GOLDEN SILENT

make my graphics card work either blue screens me or freezes
    This is a classic driver issue (more than likely - there is always a chance it could be something else!)

These drivers run in Kernal mode, thus have complete access to your system and can cause a hang or a BSOD as you describe if they're reference or beta drivers (non-WHQL signed).

If you go to Start->Run->EventVwr and look for the BSOD event in there.

It will tell you the code that it crashed with so we can determine what may caused the crash.

Stupid question but exactly where is the BSOD info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Did you reinstall windows when you put the new motherboard. If you didn't this often leads to problems like this.

More often than not it won't even boot after a mobo change if the Disk controllers are different between mobos.

If it gets this far, I think it's safe to assume that it's booting OK!

I did reinstall windows.

Advertisement