Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best war film?

• 31-03-1999 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

i have to say Apocalypse Now still reigns on top in this genre, although i haven't seen Kubricks's "Paths to Glory". Opinions...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Hamburger Hill.
    one of the best vietnam films ever made.

oh yeah on a less serious note...
    Hot Shots 1 and Deux smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Naw Naw Naw

The best War Film (if there is such a thing) in my opinion has to be.

Cross of Iron

"Steiner......."

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Saving Private Ryan. (most recent)

The Great Escape. smile.gif (whistling the theme tune).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

Full metal jacket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭DeViant

I'd have to agree, Apocolypse Now
    FREAKY!!

Close second , Platoon
    Remember last year Channel 4 did that Name season??
    I wish some1 would do another,Great Family Viewing
    smile.gif
    De\/iant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

soz smile.gif i love the old WWII ones, A bridge too far is one i always end up watching no matter what time/other plans i had when i see its on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

I loved The Thin Red Line, even though it did crap and no one seemed to like it.

It just kinda happens in front of you and you just sit there taking it all in...

then its over and I relised half the cinema had walked out!!!!

Idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

eeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggg!!!! indecision....

OK.

(In your best Dave Fanning Smug-git voice)

At number

3. Where Eagles Dare, good film especially the bluff scene

2. Full metal jacket, classic (we were talking about this last night in the pub - and last week) the end scene with the Mickey Mouse song is brilliant

1. Apocalypse Now. Cannot, Will not be beaten. The best ever. Sometimes a bit 'dead' but the story and acting is almost perfect. I love trying to spot the adlibbed bits.. (Dennis Hopper's Life speech is amazing. Wish I could sprout such artistic effluence when I'm off my gourd...)

smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Hmm.... different films for different reasons.

Saving Private Ryan has the single best battle scene of any film, ever.

Full Metal Jacket is the best mind-fuuck war film, with a really nice line in looking into people's heads.

Apocalypse Now _rules_ for impact and dramatic speeches.

For camerawork and sheer visual impact, The Thin Red Line makes for wonderful eye-candy. And it's a good movie, too.

And if you want simple all-out action, oldies like The Guns of Navarone and Where Eagles Dare are excellent.

It all depends on what you want from a war movie, I guess...

Mata ne!
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Brit

'Best War Film' ?? Now there's irony if ever I heard it. However, I have to agree that some of the films in this genre are sheer exhiliration - perfectly capturing the atmosphere.

Saving Private Ryan ***
    Thin Red Line **
    Full Metal Jacket ***
    Hamburger Hill ***
    Bridge over the river Kwai ***
    Platoon **
    Apocalypse Now ***
    Guns of Navarone *

Oh and all the Dirty Dozen films wink.gif

--Brit--

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Only Gandy said it but Cross of Iron, the Sam Peckinpah film was a work of Genius. Of course Apoc is up there. I have to say watching Apoc in the Adelphi years ago on 35mm in Dolby was the best Cinema experience I've ever had bar The greatest film ever made that is - A New Hope smile.gif

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DancesWithChimps

Best war Film:
    Platoon.
    Also the last time anybody could take Charlie Sheen seriously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Cross Of Iron is classic. That ****ing big tank crashing through the wall scared me ****less. And the vicious trench fighting is done perfectly. Peckinpah rox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

kelly's Heroes
    The Great Escape
    Apocalypse Now
    Das Boot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

yeah, Das Boot was fu(king class, forgot about it.

Das Boot is an example of the germans not being able to come to terms with their nazi past. UBoat crews were notoriously loyal nazis and volunteers. The crew in das boot except for one token nazi are all nice blokes. Bull****. Nice scenes tho.

emmm, Zulu! "Stop chucking those bloody spears!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Sorry, but from my reading, Das Boot is pretty damned close in its characters.

Remember that only a very small number of Germans were Nazis. And most of the Nazis probably had enough clout to keep them off underwater coffins like the U-Boats.

The Germans have always been very open and apologetic about WW2 anyway. The Japanese are another matter... A lot of them still feel wronged by the events of the war. In a way, they're right - they had two major cities nuked by the USA, "just to see if it works", and to frighten the USSR, something which caused more suffering than anything the Jap army ever did. We only ever see it from the PoV of the USA - we've all seen "Bridge on the River Kwai" and so on, but how many of us have seen "Rail of the Star" or "Grave of the Fireflies"?

Mata ne!
    Rob

No no shinji. Uboat crews were young fanatical volunteers not conscripts.

Gallipoli is a good one aint it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ChRoMe99

Not all the u boat crews were fanatical nazi's. In fact if anyone rembers watching it on tv last time it was shown (x-mas time i think not sure of channel) When introducing the film they refered to the country as nazi infested germany. A term i think sums it up

ChRoMe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

The top 3 Vietnam war films r easy:

Apocolypse Now
    Platoon
    Full Metal Jacket

But the top three WWII films wah, there's so many, but these are the best that i can think of at the moment:

Where Eagles Dare
    A Bridge Too Far
    Paton's Lust for Glory

I have'nt got Das Boot listed cos it's been at least 10 years since I've seen it, and can't remember any of it. Gotta buy it sometime smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dupre

Its too hard to choose a best one.
    Here would be my nominations though:

Apocalypse Now - definitely the best scene from ANY film ever, in my book. Ride of the Valkyries with choppers. Unbeatable. End bit is pretty cool as well.

Platoon
    Full Metal Jacket
    The Longest Day
    Cross of Iron
    A Bridge Too Far
    Saving Private Ryan

I think Hamburger Hill rates slightly behind these, although it is a very good flic (I always remember that bit when Washington (that his name?) is pictured after falling into a VC / NVA spike trap).

[This message has been edited by Dupre (edited 20-04-99).]

Oh yeah a Bridge too Far, great sickie Film.

Gandalf wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Radovar

My favourite, Full Metal Jacket. But I'm surprised at the absence of Kubrick's WW1 MASTERpiece, Paths of Glory. Probably second.

Apocalypse Now is incredible, but it somehow gets worse for me with each watch. Maybe I should stop. Then again, if I saw the Ride of the Valkyries in the Sinny I think I'd be converted.

Vietnam Flicks :

1. Full Metal Jacket
    2. Platoon
    3. Apocaylpse Now

I haven't actually seen that many WW2's. So SPR and TTRL would probably be my tops. Oh, and Slaughterhouse Five when I film it smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Well yea I agree with a lot of your opinions and the films mentioned above are all classics in their own right, but I cant believe that no one mentioned the Deer Hunter, the one with robert de niro and christopher walker. Yea I know the first hour or so of it is pretty lame, but **** me, the scene where they're captured in some back *****vietnam make shift camp and they have to play russian roulette. Come on, you have to say thats one seriously powerful scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dupre

Yeah - The Dear Hunter is an epic alright. Not the type of film you could watch more than twice or three times though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ride of the valkyire rad??????

thats a film?
    an i always thought it was the opening scene to act 3 in wagners 'rung das neablung' (sp?).
    of course, opera was never my forte. damn fine tune though, wouldnt watch the whole thing thou. its about 20 hours long smile.gif

i only saw dupre say it, but longest day.
    brilliant. saving private ryn for the first 20 minutes. man, i thought i was going to sick up. boat opens up and the first 10 rows of men get cut in 2 by a german gatling gun. yuck. platoon. just bloody excellent. but for just sheer entertainment and fun you cant beat the old black and white british 'good ol blighty' films. sit back on a sunday afternoon and relax. they all rock. theyre not intellectual, nor are they brilliant scripts, nor marvalous eye-candy, nor anything alse bar fun. they are so much more entertaining thou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Radovar

I just meant the bit the Ride of The Valkyries bit in Apocalypse Now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 filmlaw74

I need to go watch a few more war films to make a proper decision on this but so far my favourite war film would have to be Platoon.
    Saving Private Ryan also deserves mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Von wrote:
    Das Boot is an example of the germans not being able to come to terms with their nazi past. UBoat crews were notoriously loyal nazis and volunteers. The crew in das boot except for one token nazi are all nice blokes. Bull****. Nice scenes tho.

emmm, Zulu! "Stop chucking those bloody spears!"

That's just plain bull.
    If you'd read anything about the Battle of the Atlantic you'd know that most of the crews were just kids.
    In the early days before the war, many did volunteer for u-boat service because it was new, interesting, different but mostly because it was the best place to get your own command early.

Sure, many of them were commited Nazi's but they were undermined so much by higher powers that they began to resent them.
    But all were "notoriously loyal nazis".....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Tigerland is pretty impressive

Glory is class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Jeez you guys have opened my eyes a bit, war movies are my favourite genre but youve mentioned quite a few i havent seen.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/war

Paths of Glory is one i must check out.

As for my favourite id stick with Full Metal jacket but the reason for that is the training part of the film, the rest was mostly OK.

One ill add to the mix is The Pianist, maybe not the same kind of war film as Platoon but its portrayal of warsaw during the Nazi invasion and execution of the Jewish section was very powerful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Jesus! Talk about dragging up old threads!

Still, good thread reguardless.
    Not a film, but Band Of Brothers is quite amazing.

Cross Of Iron, Das Boot, Stalingrad, Grave Of The Fireflies and it's not the best, but Enemy At The Gates, all good films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Like karl-hungus says this one was done to death not so long ago. But again.

The last emperor, platoon, Cross of Iron, merry Christmas Mr Laurence, Das Boot, full metal Jacket, Bullet in the head and last but not least The Deer Hunter.
    I thought enemy at the gates was a really really terrible film, Im not sure what to make of the thin red line, I need to watch it again. I Thought Hamburger Hill was poor also. And Apocalypse now was good but whay overrated.
    Havnt seen Grave Of The Fireflies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

Victory!

definitely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Band of brothers, Platoon, Saving private Ryan......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Holy timewarp Batman! This must be some sort of record - 13-05-1999!

Anyways as its back...A few good ones none are the best as it just depends...

Von Ryans Express, The Hill, Cross Of Iron, The Great Escape, The Big Red One, Tora Tora Tora for the spectacular "real-life" special effects. Anything with a bridge!

Mike.

nadir wrote:
    I thought enemy at the gates was a really really terrible film.

I prefered it over Saving Private Ryan at any rate. Admittedly, there's something naff about the film what with the titanic-esque love triangle of the film's leads, but the tension of the sniper scenes I thought couldn't be matched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I wasn't around when this thread was born, glad its resurfaced...

My faves include Cross Of Iron, A Bridge Too Far, 633 Squadron (if only for the music), Apocalypse Now, The Thin Red Line, Patton and Full Metal Jacket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Thin Red Line - am not into War movies per say but this is one of my favorite movies. Also - Ice Cold in Alex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

I prefered it over Saving Private Ryan at any rate. Admittedly, there's something naff about the film what with the titanic-esque love triangle of the film's leads, but the tension of the sniper scenes I thought couldn't be matched.

ill give you the sniper scenes ok, but I felt alot of the acting was poor, not Ed Harris obviously, but some of the others. Especially given the setting, they could have surely come up with something better.

nadir wrote:
    ill give you the sniper scenes ok, but I felt alot of the acting was poor, not Ed Harris obviously, but some of the others. Especially given the setting, they could have surely come up with something better.

Yeah, Jude Law isn't exactly the most versatile actor in the world. Not to mention Bob Hoskins. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Paths to Glory was the best war movie I've seen the past year or so.

Anyone seen All Quiet on the Western Front? It's one that I want to check out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Apocalypse Now is #1 for me
    Black Hawk Down is also excellent, as is Saving Private Ryan.

I'm not sure if it counts as a movie, it's a series but still... band of brothers. very cool..

Hadn't seen Paths of Glory when I replied to this thread back in 1999 :eek: It would now top the list with Cross of Iron and Catch 22 a close 2nd and 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Platoon has to be the best followed by
    Full metal jacket followed by
    saving private ryan.

dunno how anyone can rate apocalypse now as good... got that dvd.. watched it in disbelief and was depressed after losing so many hours out of my life. and in fairness there isnt much war in it now is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Dr, Strangelove
    Gettysburg
    Apoc Now
    Patton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Full Metal Jacket has to be for that drill Segant and that gunner in the Helicopter,Outstanding "Get some,get some...."

Only thing that comes close is Platoon or Band of Brothers(doesnt count right Series not a Movie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hyperali

i was really glad to see someone mention the deer hunter what a ****ing fantastic and gripping movie. jesus the russian roulette scenes are just so intense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

My vote's gotta go for Full Metal Jacket.

• Advertisement
Advertisement