Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics in Music

• 16-09-2004 7:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

personally, if an artist makes a statement, any statement, political or otherwise, in a song, then i think its perfectly acceptable and they are expressing their freedom of speech. however, i dont like it when the use their celebrity status as a platform to make those kind of statements outside of song - like at awards shows or something. its like an abuse of power.
    lately tho - theres this one song all over mtv and radio that i'm really diggin - Wake Up Everybody from Babyface and Russell Simmons. theres TONS of artist singing on it. but the cool thing is that the song isnt about supporting some particular candidate - its about making people care about politics and telling people that if you're not happy with the way things are now, you gotta actually DO something about it and make that change happen. and voting is probably the easiest way to actually affect our world. have you guys heard Wake Up Everybody yet? its been playing here at my internship at umvd a lot lately. whats your opinion on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I think it's about time. The message rap has been putting out for the last 10 years is that you should aspire to bling cultre, you should be tastelessly materialistic and offensively and agressively macho, that these are ideals to aspire to, that this is how you judge your peers. It's a disgusting way of life. I admire what Babyface and Russel Simmons are trying to do, but, realistically, shouldn't this have happened when 50,000 black voters were disenfranchised in Florida four years ago? Shouldn't the rap community then have risen as one and encouraged people to take a stand back then, when it mattered, before so much harm had been done? Instead they chose to promote (and make more money from) the hollow values of bling and having giant refridgerators in their 'crib'.

Too little too late IMO, unfortunately.

As for artists only expressing themselves in song, and not at award shows and the like? If an artist truly believes in something, they should raise their voice at every opportunity. Too many artists are happy with their bling and fleet of Lexus' and don't give a **** about what's going on outside their own bubble. If you are genuine and you believe in something, then you won't confine trying to alert people to three minutes in a recording studio. You'll do whatever it takes to get your message across, through whatever medium. For example, Michael Moore's oscar acceptance speech. That he was boo'd and his time on stage cut short is nothing short of a disgrace. You americans make such a song and dance about your hallowed constitution and your freedom of speech, but when someone raises their voice in defiance of the norm, they are castigated. They are shunned. Their careers get stopped. Thier books and cd's still get burned, remember the Dixie Chicks? That's what the Nazi's did too, you know. Burn the books, kill the message, silence the messenger. For shame. America really needs to Wake Up, I'm not sure if this song is going to do it though.

If you belive in the message this song is saying, they you should do whatever you can to make sure it gets heard. Play a part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

yes what usa did to the Dixie Chicks? does closely parrallel Nazi germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

A friend of mine (who lives in US but is moving to Norway asap) said the following:
    "Bush and Cheney should realise that Orwell's 1984 is a warning not a how to guide."

I agree totally with Doc J here, rap music to me was black punk. People like NWA and Public Enemy should be the rule not the exception. As regards the black voters in Florida, it took a white guy from the other end of the country to stick up for them, I'm sure there are some famous rappers from Florida, let alone the rest of America, that should have shown some fraternal support and objection.

And if you believe strongly in something, shout it from the rooftops. Granted you'll probably get a Dixie Chick type response but if enough people show their dissent then there'll be a lot more hope.

Yeah, I mean, if you look at what rap has turned into, it's just another bloated, fat piglet suckling on the corporate teat. There's no danger, there's no-one fighting for anything other than their own selfish interest. Things were oh so different not too long ago. Rap was a revolution, now it's part of the status quo. Modern rap is as corporate as a big mac meal with fries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Perhaps more corporate!

No, no, as corporate.

I couldn't name one rap artist who I'd consider political, all the current ones I'm familiar with conform with your "bloated, fat piglet suckling on the corporate teat" remark (very poetic ;)). The only person I'd consider in some way revolutionary would be Tricky but he's not exactly rap (or overtly political a lot of the time).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

its all great and fine when an artist using music to express their views and opinions. thats what music is for -to express urself. however, i have a problem with celebrities in general using their popularity to talk about politics. of course they can and should have an opinion, but they must see how powerful their opinion is (unfortunatly) on some people -for they are not experts in the field, their talent is music/ acting/ modeling etc. but b/c they are famous, some kids may take what they say as fact and base their own ideas on celebrities. so, yea. idk, think it can be a bit dangerous. but then again -they have this power and perhaps they feel they must use it, b/c they obviously feel that they are right, for it is their opinion -but it is just their opinion.

mmmhmm

Your government is made up from individuals from many walks of life, including several cronies from the Texas oil industry. How are their opinions more valid than a rapper or some other artists whose opinions are formed by hard times and experience? If your government is to truly reflect the interests of the people, then how can it know what the interests of the people are unless they represent all the people, from every profession, race and background. Generally, if you're poor and black, you don't have much of a say in the States (a huge generalisation, I know, but not totally inaccurate) .When someone feels an injustice is being done, or something is being done against the interests of the general populus, then they should speak their mind regardless of their profession, should they not? Being silent is as bad as being part of the injustice. For an example I'd point out Chris Martin from Coldplay who has raised the profile of the 'Make Trade Fair' organisation immeasurably, far greater exposure than a noble organisation like that could ever hope to achieve if they had to but advertising time on TV or radio. Don't you think that's a good thing? Don't you think someone should've stood up for the disenfranchised voters of Florida who was from Florida itself?

Wasn't Ronald Reagan an actor at some point? Same goes for Arnie and Clint. I'd like to see Chuck D or Mike Muir get into politics, they things they say are just as valid as anything I've heard from a 'real' politician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

There's a lot more political rap out there, Dead Prez and some of Mr.Lif's stuff spring to mind.
    They just don't get the same kind of air play people with huge corporate labels like 50 and co do. I mean, 50 has the huge power of Aftermath behind him for one thing and he has his clothing labels to push his records onto MTV and radio stations.

If Public Enemy came out now, you wouldn't hear about them.
    All the expendable income kids are looking for these days is "bling-bling" rap, and that's where the moneys made, it's got simple beats and lyrics that don't make you think.
    Stuff like Public Enemy did make you think, and not only that but you needed to listen to it to cop what they were saying and they weren't exactly saying stuff that would make the big music labels public relations department happy.
    That's what made them special imho, and what makes people like 50, Chingy and Jah crap.
    Public Enemy makes you think, 50 makes you nod your head.

I haven't heard that song, I'll make sure to check it out though.

<If your government is to truly reflect the interests of the people, then how can it know what the interests of the people are unless they represent all the people, from every profession, race and background.>

of course, but people should inform themselves, thats all im trying to say.

it would be wonderful if celebrities brought people's attention to issues that are harming the world: bono saving africa from aids, dmb rebuilding forests and saving the environment, chris martin is another fine example, this is all wonderful -so whats my problem? just that some people are stupid, and don't go out and look up facts for themselves. "oh this famous person says it so it must be cool" so then u have more people representing that famous person's opinion.

so whats the difference between someone on a political stage vs. a musical stage? id say that the political person has to sell themselves, they have to prove what they are saying is better for the community (plus to be successful id imagine ud have to be a bit smart in all the history and the laws. or maybe im just going by my uncle whose a delegate, but he knows all these quotes and laws and lots of little details that id be happy to guess many celebs or the public don't pay mind to)
    and on the other hand, a celebrity can say whatever they want and people will eat it up.

so should celebrities have to suffer and keep their mouths shut b/c of silly people? idk, -doesn't seem fair, so thats why they voice their opinions anyway, eventhough it has a much heavier influence than urs or mine on people.

blah blah blah...

You can't shelter people from stupid opinions, just as you shouldn't shelter them from the truth. People have to be given the freedom to make up their own mind. Isn't that the concept behind a free society? If people are stupid enough to believe everything they hear, well that's just the way it goes, perhaps if they had been educated to think, rather than to remember useless dates in books, things might be different. You don't like it? Move to China or North Korea (or dare I say it, the USA in a few years) where independant thought is not encouraged.

The intelligent shouldn't be brought down to the level of the ignorant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

The message rap has been putting out for the last 10 years is that you should aspire to bling cultre
    That's total bull$hit. The whole bling thing has only really been pervasive in mainstream corporate rap music in the last 5 years. Real hip-hop culture is not what you see on MTV. Real hip-hop culture is an underground movement that is going strong with b-boys, graffiti writers, DJs and (real) emcees and is all about skill and ideology, not f ucking money. 50 cent (et al) are as far from the true hip-hop spirit as is humanly possible. Some suits decided a while back that certain aspects of what they saw as an 80s fad could be manipulated to appeal to white dissenfranchised youth. They raped the f ucking culture, abused the term 'hip-hop' (which they're now changing to 'urban') and have destroyed any chance of this culture being understood and taken seriously by mainstream society. But true hip-hop is still going stronger than ever, you just don't know about it...

Btw, listen to Sabac's new album for an actual political message...

Klimseven wrote:
    you just don't know about it...

It would appear I'm not in the minority. Every form of music has it's own, more credible side, it's own underground which "keeps it real". That's not really the point here though. As far as the people who are hearing the bling propaganda are concerned, that is rap, and they would not be aware of any underground rap movement. You must first be a celebrity to expolit your celebrity status.

interesting Doc. J, thanks for making me think bout this one, ya know, havn't put much thought into the subject, ive just been passively annoyed -eh, still don't care what they have to say, they're only people. i think its just the idea that they are only people with such great influence that scares me -guess i should just trust humanity an ounce (or mL =P) more and believe that they'll think for themselves.

just one thing. about there being a lack of freedom of speech in the usa. aye, calm down. people voice their opinions loud and clear -bush is an idiot, and kerry is a flip-flopper. plus, there's only a 'vote for change' tour going on, my favorite band -the dave matthews band- is playing. using them as an example, this band is really into politics and whats going on, posting letters to the fans and such. dave only said that his main focus now is to get bush out of office by doing whatever it takes. risky? apparently not -they are still just as successful as always. and yes, perhaps they have lured some people to become interested and active in their government.

so yea, looking at it like this i can say, "well its great if they have an opinion and share it and things happen."

thats how i'll look at it. its happier. i like to be happy.

have a nice day now. ~beth

Good luck to DMB and any artist who isn't afraid to speak their mind. Let us hope their words get eveyone thinking. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

It would appear I'm not in the minority.
    well, obviously, that's why mainstream is called mainstream. But people believeing it's true hip-hop doesn't make it so. And you missed my point, hip-hop is not just a 'form of music', it's a culture, with four elements: Grafitti, Djing, emceeing and b-boying (or 'break-dancing' as the mainstream knows it). It's a counter cultural movement, something so much bigger than chart songs. Bleh, whatever, I'm bored trying...

You're entirely right, but that's still nothing to do with what I said. My point was that, to the masses, the message from rap has been the glorification of bling culture. That is what has been portrayed through the media, and the expoitation of media exposure for personal idealist expression is what the thread is about, is it not? There is more to rap than bling, for sure, like I said, every movement has it's underground and it's harder core. But that harder core is not in the limelight, is not exposed to the public in the same way the bling thing is, and it is the bling thing I am referring to because that is what is pumped through the media.

As I said, you have to be a celebrity to exploit your celebrity status. When the opportunity was there, those who were in the public eye didn't speak out. That is what I said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Doctor J wrote:
    I think it's about time. The message rap has been putting out for the last 10 years is that you should aspire to bling cultre, you should be tastelessly materialistic and offensively and agressively macho, that these are ideals to aspire to, that this is how you judge your peers. It's a disgusting way of life. I admire what Babyface and Russel Simmons are trying to do, but, realistically, shouldn't this have happened when 50,000 black voters were disenfranchised in Florida four years ago? Shouldn't the rap community then have risen as one and encouraged people to take a stand back then, when it mattered, before so much harm had been done? Instead they chose to promote (and make more money from) the hollow values of bling and having giant refridgerators in their 'crib'.

Too little too late IMO, unfortunately.

As for artists only expressing themselves in song, and not at award shows and the like? If an artist truly believes in something, they should raise their voice at every opportunity. Too many artists are happy with their bling and fleet of Lexus' and don't give a **** about what's going on outside their own bubble. If you are genuine and you believe in something, then you won't confine trying to alert people to three minutes in a recording studio. You'll do whatever it takes to get your message across, through whatever medium. For example, Michael Moore's oscar acceptance speech. That he was boo'd and his time on stage cut short is nothing short of a disgrace. You americans make such a song and dance about your hallowed constitution and your freedom of speech, but when someone raises their voice in defiance of the norm, they are castigated. They are shunned. Their careers get stopped. Thier books and cd's still get burned, remember the Dixie Chicks? That's what the Nazi's did too, you know. Burn the books, kill the message, silence the messenger. For shame. America really needs to Wake Up, I'm not sure if this song is going to do it though.

If you belive in the message this song is saying, they you should do whatever you can to make sure it gets heard. Play a part.

that is total bs.

Rappers like Nas, RAKIM, Tribe Called Quest, Jurassic 5 and **** loads of others have been making politically influenced music for well over 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Too bad they get precious little radio and MTV play.
    All we see is 50Cent, Jay-Z, Nelly et al. To people with no interest in Hip-Hop this is what they take it as, bling culture.
    As long as MTV and it's crappy ilk are prepared to show this muck record labels are more than happy to churn out these artists. It's all about the money for them.
    In essence they just whore the Hip-Hop culture.
    MTV2 is the only music channel that shows real Hip-Hop as we see it, but the show is on at a 1am slot mid-week.

The blame does not lie with Hip-Hop, it lies with greedy record labels and MTV, BET etc. Numerous artists have been listed in this thread that have political messages in their songs, the problem is these songs get no air-time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Read Doctor J's last post, what's he's saying (I think) is that mainstream Hip Hop doesn't do enough in reaching out too kids/adults about politics. He's right too.
    Considering most of those rappers claim to come from ghettos where there lives are filled with drive bys, selling crack and worse, you would think they'd be speaking out againest things like that. I can't imagine why someone coming from that kind of background would glorify it, and even worse make it appealing to the masses.

I don't think he's complaining about the more underground Hip Hop but the mainstream stuff, and I can imagine most people here will agree with him about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I know.
    But my point is it's MTV and record labels that ultimatley decide what the mainstream is.
    It's not as if J5, Dead Prez et al dont make videos.
    As far as I'm concerned the likes of 50 Cent and co. are no different to Britney Spears. Pop fluff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement