Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scumbag paralyses child, wants €99 compo back

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭cilamc

Just took a few steps to the Brass Eye side of the force...

Brass Eye did this topic quite well (much better than the disappointing "Special"...

TED MAUL: Face it, if you don't get a job, (your son) is stuffed!

MAN: Well, I'm looking for a job.

TED MAUL: But you need to look hard!

MAN: But, I am looking hard...

TED MAUL: Yeah but really hard!

MAN: I am, I...

TED MAUL: Couldn't you just go round somebody's house and clean up?

MAN: What - clean somebody's house?

TED MAUL: Yeah, and ask for money!

MAN: (thinks for moment, baffled at argument) Well, I suppose...I could but I mean...it'd be a bit demeanin'...

TED MAUL: (interrupting) Good! Well do that then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Hard to argue with Ted Maul. Ooh, I think it's time to break out The Day Today... This is our War keeps coming true though, so I think I'll skip that one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Nail 'em up I say, nail some sense into 'em!!!!

...wonderful race the Romans, wonderful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Has this story been covered in the UK media yet. I wonder would he qualify for chav of the month at chavscum.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Hard to argue with Ted Maul. Ooh, I think it's time to break out The Day Today... This is our War keeps coming true though, so I think I'll skip that one...
    OT

when you break out The Day Today, make sure to find that easter egg on DVD1 with peter o hanrahanrahan in new york...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Tis a funny old rock and roll world. Mother dragged me out of the bed this morning screaming that my oul fella had just rang and had just been attacked/attempted robbery in the family newsagent this morning. The 2 of us hopped into the car seconds after I had my trousers on!. Got down to the shop with the contents of the counter all over the floor, the counter moved about 2 foot out of position and the poor uol lad covered in cuts and bruises. He had fought off the scumbag......oh I mean poor victim of deprivation who fled the scene empty handed and without his weapon of choice, his wheel brace.

Now thankfully my dad is a 'young/fit' 57 so physically the incident hasn't done him too much harm and I imagine mentally this incident will be like water off a ducks back. We were both able to laugh after the 'attempted' robbery at gunpoint a few years ago, so imagine this incident isn't going to affect him to any great degree. Dad managed to keep hold of the weapon/gun in that robbery too...hehe. Our new job...disarming the local crininal fraternity!! :D:D

Damn I wish I had have been on duty with him this morning. The Guards have been great but tbh whats the point. I would have preferred to have been there and just got a few digs in at the time and let that be the justice, because tbh if they even catch this scumbag, the trial and the subsequent equital or imposition of the probation act will be an almighty waste of everyones time.

Scum(victim) of the earth!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

*yawns* So tired of hearing the "poor unfortunate social reject who has no choice but to retaliate against the system that made him the way he is" argument. It simply isn't supported by the MOST basic statistic of all (that everyone seems to LOVE to ignore) : THe majority (lets say for the sake of argument 90-95%) of people who are disadvantged/poverty stricken/abused as children/abused by the state/church/peers etc etc are GOOD people who do NO harm to anyone.

My god.. the amount of people I know that are from "Scumbag" areas, or who have grown up in a house of physical and mental abuse, and have turned out into DECENT hard working people who would hurt no-one. Now you're saying that this asshole who crippled a SEVEN year old boy should just be "excused" of responsibility in some way because he had a hard time???? You have got to be kidding me!!!..
    Here's a thought.. his life will have been NOWHERE as hard as the life of this poor boy. He made the choice to drive that car, he HAS to be held responsible for his actions in the severest manner possible. Not because he deserves it, not because it will make the rest of us feel better, not because it will teach him a lesson... but because it will PREVENT him from EVER doing it again!.. There is no guarantee whatsoever that social and psychological help will correct such abhorrent behaviour. But it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if this guy is no longer on the planet, he can no longer hurt innocent people. Victims (and potential victims) must have absolute priority in the case of the legally sane who CHOOSE to commit crimes.. and make no mistake, this guy MADE THAT CHOICE!

*yawns* So tired of hearing the "poor unfortunate social reject who has no choice but to retaliate against the system that made him the way he is" argument. It simply isn't supported by the MOST basic statistic of all (that everyone seems to LOVE to ignore) : THe majority (lets say for the sake of argument 90-95%) of people who are disadvantged/poverty stricken/abused as children/abused by the state/church/peers etc etc are GOOD people who do NO harm to anyone.

(Spitting out tea...) Eh? And where does this "statistic" come from then? Would be interesting to know which body carries out surveys to tell us which people are "good" and "do NO harm to anybody". I you must use statistics to prove a point, at least come up with one which actually carrries some weight! 87.4% of statistics are made up on the spot, you know!
    My god.. the amount of people I know that are from "Scumbag" areas, or who have grown up in a house of physical and mental abuse, and have turned out into DECENT hard working people who would hurt no-one. Now you're saying that this asshole who crippled a SEVEN year old boy should just be "excused" of responsibility in some way because he had a hard time???? You have got to be kidding me!!!..
    Here's a thought.. his life will have been NOWHERE as hard as the life of this poor boy. He made the choice to drive that car, he HAS to be held responsible for his actions in the severest manner possible. Not because he deserves it, not because it will make the rest of us feel better, not because it will teach him a lesson... but because it will PREVENT him from EVER doing it again!.. There is no guarantee whatsoever that social and psychological help will correct such abhorrent behaviour. But it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if this guy is no longer on the planet, he can no longer hurt innocent people. Victims (and potential victims) must have absolute priority in the case of the legally sane who CHOOSE to commit crimes.. and make no mistake, this guy MADE THAT CHOICE!

It is irrelevant that many people who live in deprived areas do not turn to "anti-social" behaviour, the point is that MORE PEOPLE IN DEPRIVED AREAS TURN TO CRIME THAN PEOPLE IN WELL OFF AREAS DO. I don't see how this is disputable or difficult to understand. It's a facet of capitalist culture that there are people who possess things (e.g. me this computer, Calibos' dad with his shop) and we happen to have had the right upbringing to afford us these priveliges. The reason my parents' treated me the way they did (and yours and everyone's for that matter) is dictated by their surrounding environment.

Wow.. I'm staggered that you would assume to know what happened to me or my parents considering the offence you took to that statistic.. my bad.. that was the wrong word to use. How about "anectdotal evidence".... which is about the same term I'd use to describe the assumption you seem to be pushing, ie that environment carries more weight than genes... Basic premise in modern psychology as we speak is that science cannot "prove" the degree to which society/environment influences the development of a human being any more than it can "prove" the genetic influence.

As it happens, you are WAY off with your last statment as regards my family. Dad was poverty stricken, in a violent home, one of the "I had no shoes to go wear when I sold sticks for firewood" brigade (lol.. it may sound so stereotypical, but it's absolute fact, of that I can assure you). And yet here he is, a loving devoted father and husband who manages to run one of the most successful small companies in the country... funny how there's always an exception to prove the rule...
    The reason my parents' treated me the way they did (and yours and everyone's for that matter) is dictated by their surrounding environment.

Thats my favourite bit right there I think... and you have the nerve to question my little "statistic". What an wonderful sweeping statement of absolutely no value.. as I said that is HOTLY debated by todays leading pyschiatrists, psychologists and scientists... that you purport to have solved that problem in your own home is a fantasy at best.

Look, I didn't want to start a fight with you in particular, and my words have probably been stronger than they might normally have been, but the point is.. don't make sweeping statements when they can't be backed up with fact, which you so kindly pointed out to me, and I had no choice but to take back my comment about the statistic. Environmental influence on development is still in its theory stages... don't assume that this guys irresponsibility stems from any particular social problem he may have had. At the end of the day, he made a choice, he should have to live with the consequences.. however harsh they may (should?) be...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

This is how I'd like to meet him

319692_crosshairs.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Problem is he'll be free to go do this ****e again, I'm fed up with bloody bleeding hearts trying to pin the evil actions of people on there parents or upbringing or anything else. Every human being is responsible for his or her actions and should be held accountable for those actions.

The fact that he actulay hit someone else points to the failings of the system as a whole

Bring back hard labour and long prison terms, no more squeling about prisoner rights, they don't give a damn about the rights of people they offened against so why should anyone give a ****e about theirs?

And the evidence for behaviour being linked to genes is where, Doper Then U?

You don't seem to have much connaissance of psychology by the way if you think that the idea of learned beahaviuor is in its early stages or esoteric in anyway. It is the very foundation of psychoanalysis.

The point about your parents/background, to make my point as clear as possible is NOT that they didn't turn to anti-social behaviuor, they did well in avoiding so (it might be argued, but even that is contestable) - the point is that if someone is brought up in an environmenmt (and "environment" is not limited to the home) they learn certain behavioural patterns which are cultural. However horrid crimes against property appear the fact is that they do happen in impoverished areas and the result of this is that such acts are "normalised". I would be astonished to find that my cousin in Foxrock was a habitual glue-sniffing, car thieving, handbag snatching petty criminal. It would be less surprising if i heard of someone from Ballymun being the same - right?

Now if you are agreed that crime rates are higher in certain (always impoverished) areas, where does that leave your absurd genetic debate? If you really think people are genetically inclined towards crime, I simply suggest you read more rather than adopting the handy "it's certainly nothing to do with me" approach you've adopted up to this point!

By the way, I wouldn't say that your dad "running one of the most successful small businesses in the country" was something to be that smug about! Some people think that what would alleviate suffering in the third world is allowing these countries a leg up and an even stake in the free market. That idea is nonsense, capitalism is inherently about getting one over on ones competitor, and the same can be applied to the working and middle classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

We need another vietnam to thin out your ranks a little, hippy.

Deadwing wrote:
    We need another vietnam to thin out your ranks a little, hippy.

I await with interest your next post which, no doubt you will be sending in from Iraq! Yes there's nothing like a pointless war to sort out the men from the boys.

At least "Doper Than U" and myself have got into some kind of debate.

"Hippy", tsk. Unless you're taking the mick in which case you are a "card".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

cilamc wrote:
    And the evidence for behaviour being linked to genes is I would be astonished to find that my cousin in Foxrock was a habitual glue-sniffing, car thieving, handbag snatching petty criminal. It would be less surprising if i heard of someone from Ballymun being the same - right?

Your cousin in Foxrock is far more likely to indugle in white collar crime where it is possible to get away with far far more than anyone in Ballymun is likely get away with!

The difference is someone from Ballymun shoplifts in Penneys and they get caught and marched out in full public view for maybe a tenner - that doesnt happen to white collar crimnals for a zillion!

• Advertisement

Yes you're right and people who commit "white collar crime" are not considered "scumbags", funny that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

cilamc wrote:
    Yes you're right and people who commit "white collar crime" are not considered "scumbags", funny that.
    Well I think that's chiefly because white collar crime is more difficult for people to feel personally threatened by... so somebody swindled some giant faceless corporate entity out of X amount of money... it doesn't really hit home like an incident Mr. Average Joe could just as easily fall victim to (eg. stabbings/joy riders).

With such seemingly random and senseless acts of violence, and injury through recklessness, I think there's a feeling that; any one of us could be next and the question is - why should more innocent people get hurt or die because the justice system churning out people who offend and re-offend.
    I feel that most people here who want blood-justice are just sick and tired of seeing the same mistakes being replayed over and over again.

It's frustrating to watch a violent criminal walking away with a slap on the wrist after his 50'th conviction... if the first conviction didn't set him straight, why bother with the 49th or 50th?
    Although morally I don't agree with the death penalty, one thing I will say for it is that even if it doesn't deter would-be violent criminals, at the very least they can't re-offend... which logically would be a more effective method of prevention than is currently in place.
    Is living in fear of random violence/death/destruction the price we pay for an "enlightened" society?
    I don't know...
    But hey, if you have all the answers, why not send them on a postcard to the minister of justice... your talents are clearly wasted on a mere internet bulletin board.

As for the standard of debate here... this is the "After Hours" forum, which is a bit more relaxed and "tabloid" than the other boards, so things usually get bandied about in a lighthearted way.
    Besides, nit-picking over minor-to-the-point-of-irrelevance points makes for some rather boring discussion aswell, so I'll leave you to it.

Ok... first of all, I didn't once say that genetics might have a larger role to play in development than environment, what I did say was that it's impossible to determine how much environment has influenced a person, and how much genetics have. To simply assume that capitalism and all it's inherent evils are the root cause of such behaviour is a naive point of view at best. As for my parents business... it is true, I hate the nature of capitalism and it's intrinsic greediness.. but I am immensly proud of all that they have achieved. They have done so in the most honest manner (as it should be), which is more than I can say for many businesses in the same sphere.

As for the psychology, I actually have quite a good understanding of it's roots and principles. Psychoanalysis is still a forum full of debate, where what is accepted wisdom changes often... it is not fair to say that this is a complete science in any way.. there are so many questions unanswered, and so many theories put forth, that a common standpoint for "nature vs nurture" is still light years from being established. It simply isn't possible to say why people act the way they do... pinning these kind of actions on society's deficiencies is not a wholly convincing argument. It can't explain why most people within an socially impoverished setting do not commit crimes, and only some do.

Furthermore, if I was arguing that genes had a greater influence on a persons actions, I would surely be saying "They simply can't help it, it's not their fault, they are made that way".. thus making moot my entire argument that "the responsibility for the crime rests with the perpetrator alone". You will never find me saying that genes are the main influence... I would not be so arrogant to assert that either genes or environment have a "greater" influence... I cannot back it up with any Psychological (or otherwise) study... the simple answer is, we don't yet know why one person from the same social, and indeed familial, background can end up a decent person, and another a violent criminal.

Finally, crimes are commited with the same vehemence and regularity in many cultures and political regimes.. these kind of evils do not exist within Capitalism alone. It is folly to assume capitalism is the root of ALL that is hideous and loathsome...

Oh.. just saw the post about nit-picking and this not being the forum for it.. sorry about that.. I got carried away.... :confused::o

I swear this will be my last post on this topic as it is a little bit futlie.
    SantaHoe wrote:
    Although morally I don't agree with the death penalty, one thing I will say for it is that even if it doesn't deter would-be violent criminals, at the very least they can't re-offend... which logically would be a more effective method of prevention than is currently in place.
    Quite.

SantaHoe wrote:
    Is living in fear of random violence/death/destruction the price we pay for an "enlightened" society?
    Quite the opposite.
    SantaHoe wrote:
    I don't know...
    But hey, if you have all the answers, why not send them on a postcard to the minister of justice... your talents are clearly wasted on a mere internet bulletin board.
    I don't see how petulant comments like that are of any use in an intelligent debate, but then...
    SantaHoe wrote:
    As for the standard of debate here... this is the "After Hours" forum, which is a bit more relaxed and "tabloid" than the other boards, so things usually get bandied about in a lighthearted way.
    Besides, nit-picking over minor-to-the-point-of-irrelevance points makes for some rather boring discussion aswell, so I'll leave you to it.
    And I'll leave you to your "light-hearted" , "relaxed" and "tabloid" thread on the joys of "kicking the ****" out of "the scumbags" and such like - my exception to which is evidently "boring".

EDIT: EXCEPT to say that after hitting submit I saw your last post Doper Than U and I actually agree with most of it. Better not pick up on the one or two areas in which we still differ, because of the supposed tedium factor - jeesh! :rolleyes:

Still, at least we've kinda turned this around into a discussion on the underlying problems which lead to us living in a society where teenage criminals flaunt the law, eh? Better than "woarr yeah let's kill all of them that'd learn 'em - not painfully, like - I'm moral you know!"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

oh those damn brainwashed by rap and gangs teenagers!

almost 90% of teenagers are scumbags! and the worst scosiety(sp?)

cilamc wrote:
    Quite.
    Fascinating.
    cilamc wrote:
    Quite the opposite.
    Right, thanks for setting me straight on that... you've completely swayed me with that stunning point.
    cilamc wrote:
    I don't see how petulant comments like that are of any use in an intelligent debate, but then...
    Sorry, I must have missed the precedent in this thread for intellegent discussion... I thought we were having an hilarious pseudo-intellectual flame war just for the laugh.
    cilamc wrote:
    And I'll leave you to your "light-hearted" , "relaxed" and "tabloid" thread on the joys of "kicking the ****" out of "the scumbags" and such like - my exception to which is evidently "boring".
    Well thanks for stopping by and sharing your toughts.

EDIT: EXCEPT to say that after hitting submit I saw your last post Doper Than U and I actually agree with most of it. Better not pick up on the one or two areas in which we still differ,

Hey,.. we can't agree on everything ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

cilamc wrote:
    Still, at least we've kinda turned this around into a discussion on the underlying problems which lead to us living in a society where teenage criminals flaunt the law, eh? Better than "woarr yeah let's kill all of them that'd learn 'em - not painfully, like - I'm moral you know!"...
    Quite. Don't stop posting - I've been catching up on the thread and, while I disagree with you on a gut level I know, on an intellectual level, you've perfectly valid points. There's been some good threads on this area on the Humanities board in the past.

Now someone I was close to grew up in a "scumbag" area. He didn't do well there, getting victimized a lot in a way that probably wouldn't have happened in different areas. The "scumbags" who did this were generally in the 12-16 age group. Although I want to physically injure the bastards for how they hurt him, you're quite right to ask why there is so much more of this agressive anti-social behavior in this area. Now I certainly don't think this excuses the crime - and the original guy who injured the kid deserve serious punishment - but, as a long term goal, you need to look at preventitive measures rather than punitive ones all the damned time.

So why are certain groups more likely to commit these acts, do you think cilamc? In the case of "scumbags" there's a certain hormonal element working as they're generally teenagers trying to fit in. Do they try and copy their peers? What causes them to commit the acts? Is it because there's "nothing to do"? I could say read a book, or watch tv, but if that's going to alienate you from those around you...

On the other hand, how come most people from these areas turn out fine? What do you think is the trigger that pushes some over the edge into this destructive behavior? Given most are fine it can't be entirely social/cultural can it? Do we accept a genetic argument? Or do we have come back to the notion of personal responsility? Or is it a mixture. What do you think can be done to address the cause given that it's very hard to point out, that you can't point to one item and say that's it?

Okay I've been tempted back. So I lied! :confused:

Excellent post Ixoy, lots of pertinent questions posed I think. Firstly, think about the use of the word "scumbag" bouncing around in this thread and indeed throughout Dublin/Ireand. Doesn't that strike people as a problem. Hatred is embedded even in the very language we use. Imagine, for a moment if someone in your own family, say a younger brother was picked up for having stolen a purse or whatever. Would we be as inclined to think of our family as "scum"? Ok one might attempt to put the family memeber right by referring to him as "scum" in a rhetorical way, but REALLY thinking of our own kind as...scum? It's a horrible horrible word and before it is attached to humans it is worth looking at why people behave as they do first. "He committed the crime, because he is a scumbag" is not really a strong argument now, is it?

Yes, I think to an extent these teenagers in poor areas behave this way because there is "nothing to do". This is a point of contention to some, but it is a complicated cultural issue. It is not to suggest that if you give these kids books, cinemas and so on that that alleviates the problem. Some things, culturally are beyond the reach of such people. You could give a teenager hanging about outside a shopping centre in Finglas or somewhere a copy of say "Dubliners" by James Joyce (or any book) and say "here is something really great and life enhancing" and the youth might understandably look at you with contempt. The sad state is that things like literature, and debate are still considered the domain of the middle-classes or the intelligensia. You just have to re-read Santa Hoe's objections to my previous post to find such thinking even here ferchrissakes. "Pseudo-intellectual".

Some people, naturally, react AGAINST their environment, going out of their way to do the opposite of what they are brought up with. This doesn't mean they aren't influenced by their environment of course. Someone who refuses to engage in anti-social behaviour in one of these poor areas is as indebted to their cultural surroundings as those who take to the syringe so to speak. What makes some people react against and others to go with I would put down to the intelligence/family background/relationships of the individual in question.

There are indeed wealthy people such as the notorious "drug-bosses" who make a very nice living thank-you-very-much by going down the criminal path early on. It simply is an easier option than to risk being labelled "a poof" or whatever by ones peers because one chooses to read or paint or some other activity. And I understand that, and the way to change this is by looking at the penal system and to stop building terrible accomodations for people to live in. Did you ever see the Ballymun flats? Is it any wonder they sapped any sense of spirit out of the community? The houses they've put in there now are too little too late, perhaps, but it's a start.

It may take centuries to turn around the sub-culture which dictates that one's goal in life should be to accumulate wealth by whatever means necessary to escape the dump you were brought up in. I think the answers lie in education, proper spending on development programmes in such areas and NOT the delight taken in the press at spouting venom at teenage offenders. What an absolute waste and misplacement of energy. If people are angry about these things they should write letters to TDs, kick up a fuss in their community and encourage people to change how they look and think about the kids in our society who are labelled "scum" from the moment they're born.

The vast vast majority of posts on this board were just depressing me to read so I decided to combat some things and open it up. And without wanting to pick any kind of a fight, SantaHoe if you had read any of my previous posts (which it is clear you didn't) you would have understood my points. YES "capital punishment" will prevent the convict repeat offending. (I really thought you were taking the mick by posting that...) NO an enlightened society would not be in fear of "random death", but again I find your question makes no sense.

If I could get my hand on the scumag bastard who did that to the puppy, I'd rip his face off the front of his head roll it up in a little ball tie it with string and use it as a stress reliever by stomping up and down on it repeatedly. He wouldn't do that again!

Umm.. Cilamc I just saw that post in the "puppy used as football" thread... I fail to see how on the same forum, you can object to the punishment of the guy who paralysed a 7 year old boy... and yet respond in that way to boys who tortured that poor puppy...

You have alot to say it seems, and I did enjoy our debate, however I cannot help but feel this is, at best, a little hypocritical...

Umm.. Cilamc I just saw that post in the "puppy used as football" thread... I fail to see how on the same forum, you can object to the punishment of the guy who paralysed a 7 year old boy... and yet respond in that way to boys who tortured that poor puppy...

You have alot to say it seems, and I did enjoy our debate, however I cannot help but feel this is, at best, a little hypocritical...

Haha, calm down Doper Than U - it is sarcasm. I should have put a different smiley in... ,-P

Lol.. fair enough.. I must have missed the sarcasm, 'cause it sounded like a perfectly reasonable punishment to me! :p;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

cilamc wrote:
    Firstly, think about the use of the word "scumbag" bouncing around in this thread and indeed throughout Dublin/Ireand. Doesn't that strike people as a problem. Hatred is embedded even in the very language we use
    That's valid. We all make judgments, and have our concepts of what a scumbag is and, indeed, looks like. We place a label on them but that label says that, essentially, we look a them and see something less than dirt. Scum suggests they're just a completely negative influence on society and have nothing ever worth giving back. Sure you could try and say that they can react against this image we foist on them but there's also an elemnt that we often do a judge-and-jury act just by looking at their clothes and address.
    The sad state is that things like literature, and debate are still considered the domain of the middle-classes or the intelligensia
    Ok, I think I'll agree though isn't there a chance that this could be a condescending attitude? To say that 'debate' is not part of their general thought process could be seen as saying that they lack the ability to question? This is sort of at the heart of the argument though isn't it? To what level are they taught to react or question what they have? To what degree does your society and background dictate the manner in which you'll question what you're doing and how it affects others?

One school of thought, the sometimes too liberal, might say that they're not given much of a sense of having a decent future, a chance of life. There's little room for self improvement, and not many ways to achieve it, so there's no reason to actually try. So if we give them a sense of self worth, or aspirable goals, show them something different, etc. then there's possibilites iin their lives and something to work towards. I assume the basic contention is that if you've little sense of worth about yourself, it can be hard to have a sense of worth of other people - even if you're hurting them.

The second school of thought though is the one we find here, which I partially ascribe too. I'll acknowledge the sense of self worth being something that needs to be worked too, but does that solely excuse not having a basic sense of ethics, of what's right and wrong? At its most basic and fundamental level, it's almost Biblical in its simplicity - "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." So treat people like you would like to be treated. So I don't hurt people, injure them, because I wouldn't like it done to me or those around me. Is it wrong for us to think they should think like this too? Can we really say that you can ignore this simple precept if you meet certain criteria?

ixoy wrote:
    Ok, I think I'll agree though isn't there a chance that this could be a condescending attitude? To say that 'debate' is not part of their general thought process could be seen as saying that they lack the ability to question? This is sort of at the heart of the argument though isn't it? To what level are they taught to react or question what they have? To what degree does your society and background dictate the manner in which you'll question what you're doing and how it affects others?
    I agree entirely, you've probably elucidated the point I was trying to make better than I ever could have done! It is hard to not sound condesending given that I am a person writing on an internet message board about swathes of people I don't personally know. I would tend to suspect that the kind of people we are talking about don't have a highly developed "critical faculty", (I know I am sounding pretentious here...!) Although some might say that their attacks on members of society are an act of criticism in themselves. (Maybe a bit airy-fairy sounding but there is something to it, I think). Anyway this is why I think education is necessary, or essential. Even there I have my doubts - does education merely involve the imposition of the ruling classes codes on the subservient class? Well, it's another long discussion that I suppose.
    Ixoy wrote:
    One school of thought, the sometimes too liberal, might say that they're not given much of a sense of having a decent future, a chance of life. There's little room for self improvement, and not many ways to achieve it, so there's no reason to actually try. So if we give them a sense of self worth, or aspirable goals, show them something different, etc. then there's possibilites iin their lives and something to work towards. I assume the basic contention is that if you've little sense of worth about yourself, it can be hard to have a sense of worth of other people - even if you're hurting them.
    I agree with this, that at least is a fairer, less harsh, view of things. I utterly have faith in people's basic common humanity. I don't think anyone is born as a destructive animal.
    Ixoy wrote:
    The second school of thought though is the one we find here, which I partially ascribe too. I'll acknowledge the sense of self worth being something that needs to be worked too, but does that solely excuse not having a basic sense of ethics, of what's right and wrong? At its most basic and fundamental level, it's almost Biblical in its simplicity - "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." So treat people like you would like to be treated. So I don't hurt people, injure them, because I wouldn't like it done to me or those around me. Is it wrong for us to think they should think like this too? Can we really say that you can ignore this simple precept if you meet certain criteria?
    I think the question of ethics is a tricky one. The harshest thing I can find to say about the "criminals"* in question is that their ethical codes are different to mine. Again, parents, schools should play a role here. This highlights exactly why the tabloidy (and of course it by no means begins and ends with the tabloids) approach is so counter-productive. Well I mean it's obvious that this supposed rage is only there to sell papers and create hysteria. Now, I got annoyed when I came onto this board and saw that everybody up to my first post concurred with this way of looking at things! The individuals' basis for ethics is the nub and that is something which has been a driving force between most modern philosophy since - certainly - Kant. If I were living in Ballymun I wonder if my position would be so different.

I have been tough on other posters on this thread of course, just products of modern culture like us all I suppose. But interrogation is important, and I think this type of criticism is best directed towards those who actually control these things, who have power - governments, the police... And everybody shares in this responsibility.

I never suggest for a moment that if someone is from a certain area they can be excused any kind of behaviour, I merely started out (and hereby finish off) by saying that we should strive for a fair legal system, and to be tolerant, considerate people in respect of tragic cases such as the death of the child which triggered off this debate. "I wanna smash the guy's face in", in my opinion belongs with the Gary Bushells, the Kilroy-Silks and the callers to the Adrian Kennedy phone shows of this world. (Now I am being a snob! Ha ha.

*[They're only criminals as the law dictates so, criminality is about the control of a society and not as many commonly believe about ethics!

• Advertisement

cilamc wrote:
    "He committed the crime, because he is a scumbag" is not really a strong argument now, is it?
    I think it's more a case of - He committed a violent crime, therefore he is a scumbag... I'm not sure where this confusion is coming from but I can't say this is the first time I've come across it.
    I see the point you're trying to make, but I think our slang dictionaries differ.
    cilamc wrote:
    NO an enlightened society would not be in fear of "random death", but again I find your question makes no sense.
    Well that was in reference to your opening statement of:
    "You're advocates of a just and tolerant society, are you?"
    You imply that shooting this person for his crimes would be unjust and intolerant.
    I put it to you that - this notion of "a just and tolerant society" may be costing us the freedom to walk the streets at night by letting people who aren't in the slightest bit rehabilitated back onto the streets to commit more acts of violence on people who just want to live their lives in peace.
    And this isn't limited to the death-penalty either... how about a life sentence actually meaning life?
    How about an end to suspended sentences, if only to keep one more repeat-offender off the streets for 6 months?
    cilamc wrote:
    It may take centuries to turn around the sub-culture[..]
    I'd agree with that, but I think most people would rather see swift action taken against violent crime within their lifetime than the more time-intensive grassroots methods which may, as you say, take one or more lifetimes.
    The brutal and honest truth for many people is - "I don't care what wonderful reforms will happen fifty years after I'm dead... I just want this crap to stop now, while it effects me"... selfish? maybe, but isn't everything... shortsighted? probably... but it's natural and it's how people feel.

The only thing I genuinly disagree with you on is your attitude towards people here that are just being honest with how they feel about this situation...
    cilamc wrote:
    Are you bloody idiots or what?
    No.
    They're human beings who're píssed off seeing offenders being brought into court on their 30'th joyriding conviction and walking out the door being able to freely flip-off the media.

By all means, bring on the social reform and literacy campains, change ideas, change attitudes... it's definitly something I think needs to be done, but something has to be done to protect people living in the here and now.

To be honest cilamc, I think your ideas are right and will make the difference in the long run... in fact I agree with a lot of typically left-wing thinking in terms of social reform, but this seems to be the focus a little bit too much as far as I can see.
    I think people see these lenient sentences, like joyriders who could easily have killed someone, getting out of court on a suspended sentence as an ineffective leftwing love-the-criminal-back-to-reform policy... they see it not working; as the same person will be out joyriding again that very night... so they take the exact opposite stance.
    Quite understandable.

Would you agree that it's too late to reform some people?
    That some people are too far gone to ever be decent upstanding members of society?
    What can be done about them?
    Our revolving door, slap-on-the-wrist, get-out-of-jail-free-card system doesn't seem to be working does it?

As I see it, people want the arrest of a criminal to mean something, for the criminal to be held accountable regardless of wheather or not he later re-integrates into society.
    Take this example - some random person breaks a pint-glass in your sisters face, scarring her for life then rapes her down an alley way, at the trial you learn that he's been jailed for something similar before... do you really care if he eventually finds himself leading a happy life in suburbia?
    I for one would gladly see him rott in prison or floating face-down in the Liffey, does that make me an idiot?

Unfortunate upbringing or not, people that are an obvious danger to other people need to be taken off the streets one way or the other.
    What kind of hellish upbringing/environment can leave a grown adult with absolutely no self-control and no sense of right and wrong?
    Sure, tackling social problems will help, but it can never be used as an excuse for doing things they know is wrong.

SantaHoe wrote:
    You imply that shooting this person for his crimes would be unjust and intolerant.
    Yes, I think that is Capital Punishment is unjust and intolerant, and I think I may be fairly unshakable on that one - we may just have to differ on that one.
    SantaHoe wrote:
    I put it to you that - this notion of "a just and tolerant society" may be costing us the freedom to walk the streets at night by letting people who aren't in the slightest bit rehabilitated back onto the streets to commit more acts of violence on people who just want to live their lives in peace.
    I don't think we live in a just and tolerant society, unfortunately. I'd like to see a just and tolerant society but I feel the way towards that is a balanced approach - not capital punishment or a blanket system whereby all cases are treated equally.
    SantaHoe wrote:
    The only thing I genuinely disagree with you on is your attitude towards people here that are just being honest with how they feel about this situation...
    That's fair comment, but I don't find a reasoned argument tends to wash well with people who say things like "I think he should be nailed to a piece of wood at the side of the road". I'd argue that that's a little more than someone being honest about how they feel, I'd argue there is a bit of imagination put into a statement like that. I also think that what we saw in early posts on the thread were a bunch of posters who were at pains to point out how repulsed they were by the "scumbag". It was a bit like Indignation Top Trumps as these type of "discussions" so often become! Anyway, I stand by my opinion that such reactionary posts betray a lack of thought and as such, are idiotic.

SantaHoe wrote:
    typically left-wing thinking in terms of social reform... ineffective leftwing love-the-criminal-back-to-reform policy...
    Grr. Now, I'm happy enough to be called a socialist, but it does annoy me when people discuss left-wing politics as "wishy washy lefty-liberal nonsense", I just think it's one of these clichés, a misrepresentation of socialist ideas which is easy to combat. I am trying to maintain a discussion which avoids extremes of left and right.
    SantaHoe wrote:
    ... so they take the exact opposite stance.
    Quite understandable.
    It may be understandable, but again it's a reactionary position, if people took more time to think about these things they might be able to tackle the flaws in our penal system effectively. I absolutely agree that it is in a terrible state!
    SantaHoe wrote:
    Would you agree that it's too late to reform some people?
    That some people are too far gone to ever be decent upstanding members of society?
    What can be done about them?
    Our revolving door, slap-on-the-wrist, get-out-of-jail-free-card system doesn't seem to be working does it?
    No I don't agree that it's too late to reform some people. Rather I would argue that the ways we go about "reforming" people are flawed. No attempt at real reform has ever been made anyway. I don't know of anyone who would be happy to live beside an ex-criminal who had gone straight. THAT would be reform!
    SantaHoe wrote:
    Take this example - some random person breaks a pint-glass in your sisters face, scarring her for life then rapes her down an alley way, at the trial you learn that he's been jailed for something similar before... do you really care if he eventually finds himself leading a happy life in suburbia?
    I for one would gladly see him rott in prison or floating face-down in the Liffey, does that make me an idiot?
    You see there's a problem right there in the example. If something like that happened to MY SISTER I would react in a completely different way. I would probably come out with all sorts of imaginative ways of killing her attacker, but it would still be a WRONG reaction in terms of justice! It is for this reason that I would (quite rightly) not allowed to be a member of the jury at the guy's trial. And it's not a question of him "living happily in suburbia" but - as we have been talking about along - reform.

SantaHoe wrote:
    Sure, tackling social problems will help, but it can never be used as an excuse for doing things they know is wrong.
    But no-one is suggesting otherwise. And their crimes must never be used as an excuse for other people to let out all of their pent up aggression either. The point is, if you're so annoyed at the guy (Hussein?)'s flaunting of the law - do sopmething productive about it. Torturing/killing the guy would make one just as bad. And where where all of the details of the case for us to read about anyway. The idea that people think they are experts on a legal case which has nothing to do with them in the first place, just because they read something in The Sun (which is NO place to look to for an ethical code if you ask me!), is a bit annoying!

(Edited for spelling, as usual!)

No I don't agree that it's too late to reform some people. Rather I would argue that the ways we go about "reforming" people are flawed. No attempt at real reform has ever been made anyway. I don't know of anyone who would be happy to live to an ex-criminal who had gone straight. THAT would be reform!
    Indeed, but I think you're sort of stepping over the point I'm getting at... you're not a politician are you? :P
    Out of interest what would you consider to be "real reform"?
    Anyway, I stand by my opinion that such reactionary posts betray a lack of thought and as such, are idiotic.
    A lack of thought maybe, but definitly emotion... we can't all view these things with such objectivity, and frankly I think it'd be a cold and horrible world if we didn't feel anger for other peoples injustices.
    I think "idiots" was a bit harsh considering the nature of this forum, I'd say if this thread was started on "Humanities" - the very same people who called for blood would support their viewpoints a bit more to your liking, with logic and reason included.
    My take on this board is that it's pretty much chatting-in-the-pub (hence "After Hours"?) conversation rather than up-on-the-podium-with-a-microphone style debate.
    The idea that people think they are experts on a legal case which has nothing to do with them in the first place, just because they read something in The Sun (which is NO place to look to for an ethical code if you ask me!), is a bit annoying!
    I don't find it annoying because I see it from the viewpoint that; isn't it nice that people have such empathy for the victims that they feel emotional enough to vent about it... the cup being half-full maybe :p
    Or maybe they couldn't give a shíte about the victims and hate the violent criminal element with a passion and want them removed from society immediatly, which from my view is still a half-full cup.
    I think a far worse response to this thread would be something along the lines of "so what?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Firstly Id like to voice my outrage at the audacity of the baxtard in question and secondly my opinion on the serious question of the legal system and rehabilitation.

Personally I dont believe in the justification of an absolute ie I can never agree with the taking of a life. It eliminates the possibility of change, reform and some possible good in the future.

I do however acknowledge the severe and abundant flaws in our Justice system. Not everbody can be rehabilitated. This man has shown no remorse for his crime, no pity or human empathy. He has even reoffended. I believe that the origional judgement was too lenient and even at that not enforced sufficently.
    If I had some power to change our system I'd probably reccomend a system along these lines.

*The perpatrator should be educated in the loss and suffering of his victum. This may or may not involve meeting his victum if it is believed this meeting would exacerbate the victum/family's suffering.

*Financial compensation be paid to the victum. Not because this would negate the suffering but because it would put a tangible loss on the crime for those inhuman apathetic createns like the man in this case. Also it would give the victum the feeling that the system is aware that they are the victum and is treating them as such.

*Community service. Be it cleaning, manual labour or blood giving. Give something back to society. I disagree with society paying entirly for someones incarcaration. Also being cooped up for years with miscreants does nothing to improve someone.

*Education. This is the one everyone always labels me a hippy for. If someone is rehabilitated the only way to keep them on the straight and narrow is if they can find rewarding employment when they leave prison.

Many ppl here have advocated beatings, humiliation and even death. Some would say it more appropriate. This person cant be transformed. I agree there, he probably cant if he shows no regret and has reoffended. Like I said at the start I believe he got off light. Thats why I believe he reoffended. But how do you administrate a quantified beating? Its impossible and having such a system enshrined in our law would be an impossible alternative which couldnt be controlled and open to all types of abuse.

What I would like to see is a code of law more loosly defined. Ppl know what is wrong or ethical but if it isnt clearly stated as being illegal (or they believe they can get away with it) then they'll do it.
    How would we do away with abuse of the system. As Sheakspear said "Shot all the lawers"? That didnt work in communist countries, representation is vital to protect the rights of the innocents.

Again if I had any say....
    Something along the line of Live by the spirit of the law not the letter. Let the judge ensure the accused gets his rights after all the Juge's job is to make sure that the prosecution and defence comply with regulations and standards. Why must the defendant get a seccond person to do this job? The defence points out the flaws in the prosecutions arguement, surly the truth does that?
    Why is a solicitor needed for an insurance or personal injury claim; a doctors bill, phychiatrists evaluation and a calculation of lost earnings (if any) should be enough to evaluate your loss?

I don't think prisons really "reform" people anyway, young offenders just pick up more criminal behaviour and when they're released they're unemployable. "Real" reform in my opinion would depend upon everybody changing the way they look at these things, people who get worked up about "scumbags" thinking about factors like domestic abuse, drug abuse, bullying, alcoholism and so on...would be a start.

I can't understand your point about how people who on this forum bay for blood would post more balanced responses somewhere like "humanities". Why the need for this differentiation? I think intelligent (or at least considered) discussion absolutely belong in the pub and indeed everywhere. I don't see the point in changing a stance to suit a place. I don't really believe people deliberately make an effort to sound thick because it's conducive to the atmos of a pub! The trade union movement, local government and the Spanish civil war all have their roots in pub conversation.

I can't understand your point about how people who on this forum bay for blood would post more balanced responses somewhere like "humanities".
    It seems a bit odd alright and I can see how it wouldn't make sense to someone who's just joined the boards, but it's just a personal observation from seeing threads like this over the years.
    I'm not saying it's ideal, I'm just telling it how it is.
    People here tend to let their guard down and post from the heart, it's not a debate board as such, which is why I think it's a low-blow to declare people idiots for posting an emotional response.
    Surely you can distinguish between an emotional response and a well thought out, constructive solution to crime prevention?
    Why do you assume that the two are mutually exclusive and that someone posting an emotional response is incapable of reasoning and logic and hence an "idiot"?
    Maybe this topic is a bit too heavy for snap judgements and emotional responses and I can see how it'd get on your nerves, maybe I'm just used to it and can read some things here with a pinch of salt.
    I'm not flaming you or starting a daft argument, I'm just fleshing out the reason why I was a bit annoyed with your first post on this thread.
    As one of the other posters said, it sounded a bit condecending... maybe if you didn't go around branding people idiots, they'd be more open to your ideas and would still be posting here... which, in a way, is a shining example of what you were protesting about in your inital posts.

Well the story is being followed by local UK media but is being pretty much ignored by the national media. Personally I would hope that this individuals family and friends would want nothing to do with him

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/search/results.html?keywords=Sajid+Hussain&collection=mol&maxrows=10&startrow=1&summary=no&orderby=score&searchmode=exact

I suppose an area I have been foolish in is to invest so much in a bloomin' discussion board on a website. I understand SantaHoe's irritation at my original post, which was intended to be provocative - and it has resulted in a discussion at least, eh?

I do not accept that there is justification for the kind of comments posted on the first 2 pages or so in this thread, much less that - in being "emotional" - they are astute, humane observations! As I stated in my original post, such comments are utterly a part of the culture which causes people to be the victims of assault on the streets.

My emotional response - honestly - is that council estates are horrible, horrible places, no-one should have to live there and that YES the criminal is, as such "a victim" of society's failings, as is the poor child who ended up paralysed because of one foolish person's actions. I think it's much easier and more comforting to boast of one's own hatred for the perpetrators of such crimes than it is to actually make a difference.

Also I think the first few posters' silence may be more a reflection of their lack of interest in actually engaging with the argument, preferring to clamour over who "hates" the criminal the most, and is therefore (by some twisted logic) the most ethical. I am irritated by this because increasingly it is this approach to ethics and politics which is adopted by the media as a whole. There is no debate, just hyperbole which people inevitably swallow up.

Does that make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭[Preacher]

Our courts entertain this ****e, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

• Advertisement

Makes sense to me.
    Although I think you have the unfortunate position of holding ideals that are for many people the apotheosis of the leftie revolving-door system where the criminal recieves more sympathy than the victim.
    Before you take offense to this, I'm just saying that ideas like grassroots social reform are bundled into a category alongside lenient sentences and an overall soft stance on crime, which I think people are sick to death of.
    council estates are horrible, horrible places, no-one should have to live there and that YES the criminal is, as such "a victim" of society's failings
    Yes there are some absolutely soul-destroying places to be brought up and yes in a way they are the victims of societys failings.
    But this still isn't a reason to let (for example) a joyrider walk away with a pat on the head and a "aah sure he won't do it a 20th time, I've got a feeling about this!".
    If I understand your posts correctly, then I know this isn't what you're supporting, but for a lot of people, once they hear things like your quote above, they think immediatly of an ineffective justice system.
    Which as I say, is an unfortunate position to be arguing from due to these assumptions.

Actually upon writing this, I can definitly see why you have such a dislike for tabloid-style discussion that compounds such clichés and why it's important for people to explore things in greater detail.

Although I maintain that an emotional response doesn't make somebody an idiot, especially when the post that started this thread was practically an invitation to vent (read the first line of the first post!).
    Then are later bullied out of the conversation by someone calling them an idiot for sharing their point of view, no matter how illogical it may have been.
    I think maybe a bit more tolerance of other peoples oppinions would have encouraged them to engage.
    I found your first post on this thread to be a little hostile, granted it was intended to grab peoples attention, but in doing so, I think it alienated them and made you appear to be some leftie thug... that was certainly my initial impression, but then I'm an idiot ;)

"Some leftie thug" - haha, without wanting to get into a discussion about political allegiances, I think that is a contradiction in terms as "the left" (i.e. socialism) is all about working to the good of everyone in society without lumping people into handy subgroups.

I realise some people think that grass-roots social reform goes hand in hand with less sensible policies concerning policing and so on. But that's their problem for not actually listening to the arguments in the first place, isn't it? So I don't think it's excusable to say "Well, he thinks A so therefore he MUST think (unrelated) F, K, X, Y and Z too..."

I think accountability rests on of both the side of the individual who commits crime (ethically) and on society/the government who create the conditions for crime in the first place.

I'm all for people getting angry, but for God's sake direct it at the right things! You are absolutely right, my first post was hostile - and emotional - but I think I've at least tried to go on to back it up with argument.

cilamc wrote:
    "Some leftie thug" - haha, without wanting to get into a discussion about political allegiances, I think that is a contradiction in terms as "the left" (i.e. socialism) is all about working to the good of everyone in society without lumping people into handy subgroups.
    Well I mean 'thug' in the sense of a bible-basher or man-hating feminist... naturally occuring clichés, that, like it or not, people have.
    cilamc wrote:
    I realise some people think that grass-roots social reform goes hand in hand with less sensible policies concerning policing and so on. But that's their problem for not actually listening to the arguments in the first place, isn't it?
    Doesn't that make it everyones problem?
    This is exactly the point I'm trying to make, coming across hostile will taint peoples views on otherwise reasonable points because your method itself was unreasonable.
    I think the way forward is to accept that people are going to make generalisations about who you are or where you stand, and approach from a middle-ground... avoiding having yourself labeled as a right/left extremist from the get-go.
    I think the very people you're trying to reach would be repulsed by your first post and thus find it hard to relate to the rest of your posts.
    cilamc wrote:
    I think accountability rests on of both the side of the individual who commits crime (ethically) and on society/the government who create the conditions for crime in the first place.
    Yep, I've gathered that from your posts so far... I don't disagree, I'm just chewing the fat.
    I'm all for people getting angry, but for God's sake direct it at the right things!
    Well I think feeling one way or the other about it is at least a good start.
    It's difficult to know where to direct your anger about things, especially when the news brings us constant reports of crooked politicians, broken election promises and government mis-management of public funds, you lose faith in the system.
    You are absolutely right, my first post was hostile - and emotional - but I think I've at least tried to go on to back it up with argument.
    Yeah it's been an interesting one... I don't think many people are still reading this though.
    Definitly check out the Politics and Humanities boards though, I find that's where most of the serious and well thought out debate happens.

Loads of really good points there, SantaHoe - you see the "news" is the problem as they don't just report fact, they have their own spin on things and it is invariably sensationalist.

You're right in the second paragraph, I think it is everyone's problem/responsability. This is why it is so distressing to see the national media spew out the gubbins they do.

And I wonder how many people are still reading this, I think we've brought up some interesting points between us...

This thread seems to have gone off in some sort of humanities tangient. If i am not mistaken, the thread was about how this scumball firstly paralized this child from the waist down whilst in a car with no tax and insurance. and then had the neck to put in a bid to get the miserable few coppers he had paid to his victim back!

This is not about whether or not daddy or mammy took his teddy bear away when he was in nappies, this is about whether or not he should be allowed to get the €90 back from his victim. Personally I think he should be refused this and should be forced to pay the legal costs of the victim's parents at least.

What I would love to know is how in gods name is €3000 going to make this childs life any better. You wouldn't even get a downstairs toilet installed for that miserable sum.

I bet the car he was driving was worth more than three grand.

The original crime he committed might is some twisted way be associated by do-gooders in society to his parents who were incapable of raising him as a child. But why on gods green earth is he fighting the compensation claim. he has only paid 10 english pounds since september 2003 ffs He spent more than 3 grand on his solicitor i bet

What no one has mentioned is that this guy is apparently a bogus asylum seeker. He's in Britain because, compared to whatever middle-east hellhole he came from, Britain is paradise.
    My emotional response - honestly - is that council estates are horrible, horrible places, no-one should have to live there and that YES the criminal is, as such "a victim" of society's failings, as is the poor child who ended up paralysed because of one foolish person's actions.

1) Even the worst council estate in Western Europe is a place of palatial luxury compared to whatever third world slum this vermin crawled out of.

2) Look at him giving the finger to the camera - no remorse - he's not foolish he's a little sh|t. Some people are simply born bad. Psychopaths have different brains from normal people, nothing to do with environment. Scientific fact.

(and before anyone starts I'm not anti-immigrant - immigration is economicaly necessary and potentialy culturaly beneficial - the problem is letting the "good" ones in while keeping the "bad" ones, like this guy, out.)

• Advertisement

pork99 wrote:
    Psychopaths have different brains from normal people, nothing to do with environment. Scientific fact.

Heh heh, yeah!

"So - paedophiles = crabs. Simple. Now hold that thought." - Neil Fox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

interesting debate ,
    going back to an earlier point made i would say that whether a person turns out to be a violent criminal would rest in "nature/nurture" (genetic makeup or environment brought up in) only in as much as these factors would provide the impetus to comit a given crime , the actual decision to commit that crime still always rests with the prospective offender.
    this is to say that someone from a troubled background would more often find themselves in a situation where commiting a crime is a more attractive prospect. i wonder how many of the more affluent members of society, lawyers and businessmenn and the like might resort to mugging if their standard of living reduced sufficiently and their future looked bleak.

that said if you choose to do things you know are wrong often enough it becomes your natural state , these wrong choices are easy enough to make for a person from a tough background and this should be taken into account in the reform or punish debate but in the case of the man that ran over that child i dont think its a case of wrong choices being made due to a bad background anymore , it might have been once but at this stage he is simply a bad person. that is not to say absolutley beyond reform , but certainly with no place in society in his current state. so i think he should be locked up for at least ten years as punishment and then be kept in prison untill he can prove to a panel of pschycologists that he is genuinely reformed.

anyhow thats what i think , and its only my personal opinion based on what i have read on this thread and a read of the newspaper story over some blokes shoulder on the dart ,

stagolee wrote:
    interesting debate ,

this is to say that someone from a troubled background would more often find themselves in a situation where commiting a crime is a more attractive prospect. i wonder how many of the more affluent members of society, lawyers and businessmenn and the like might resort to mugging if their standard of living reduced sufficiently and their future looked bleak.

Having left school and been a teenager/young adult in this country in the 1980s I can remember things being bleak here. There were NO jobs, any jobs there were were rubbish, if MacDonalds advertised vacancies there would be a queue forming, no exageration.

I can remember having NO money and NO chance of getting a job (and I'm certainly not rich now). It never once crossed my mind to rob or burgle anyone. I think it comes down to self-respect - if you have that you will have sufficient respect for others not to steal from them.

cilamc wrote:
    Heh heh, yeah!

"So - paedophiles = crabs. Simple. Now hold that thought." - Neil Fox
    Among all those researchers, those examining brain activity have tended to find abnormal activity in the amygdala, a part of the brain seen as the seat of basic emotions like fear, and the orbito-frontal cortex, which is involved in helping people adjust their behavior in response to reward or punishment.

Some studies also indicate problems in the connection between the deep, emotional brain and the thinking part of the brain.

Inside the psychopath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

true enough pork99 most people wont turn to crime even when things get really crap but most people in disadvantaged environments today dont either , id say the crime figures probably went up in the 80's as the employment went down though, im a lucky sod there you see i got out of school well into the 90's ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement