Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hughes Blackburn boss

• 16-09-2004 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/3655384.stm

Blackburn Rovers have named former player Mark Hughes as their new boss.

Hughes, 40, was given permission by the Football Association of Wales to talk to Rovers and will be officially unveiled on Thursday at 1130 BST.

A statement said: "Blackburn announce that Mark Hughes has been appointed manager with immediate effect."

Wales boss Hughes will stay in charge of the national side for their World Cup qualifiers against England and Poland on 9 and 13 October.

Hughes' agent Dennis Roach told BBC Five Live that it was a difficult choice for his client to make, and that he was glad to be able to stay on for two matches with Wales.

"Everybody knows how much Mark loved the job but it's been four of five years now," said Roach.

MARK HUGHES PROFILE
    Born: 01/11/1963, Wrexham
    Playing career: Man Utd (1980-86), Barcelona (1986-88), Bayern Munich (loan, 1987-88), Man Utd (1988-95), Chelsea (1995-98), Southampton (1998-2000), Everton (2000), Blackburn (2000-2002). Wales (72 caps, 16 goals)
    Management career: Wales (1999-2005)
    "The nice thing is that he'll be covering the next two matches. That was important for him to go out in the right way.

"He feels that he's brought Wales on a long way and that it's now time for someone new to come in with a fresh face."

FAW general secretary David Collins had earlier said once Blackburn made the approach they had to let Hughes speak with them.

"There was an agreement that should a Premiership club make a request that we would consider it," said Collins.

Wales take on England in a World Cup qualifier at Old Trafford on 9 October and the Welsh FA is keen for Hughes to remain in charge for that game.

"At the moment, what we've agreed with Blackburn is that if they appoint him as their manager Mark would manage the Wales senior side against England and Poland on 9 and 13 October."

How can managing a second-rate premiership side compare with being manager of your national side
    From dd
    Have your say on 606

Hughes spent two years at Ewood Park under Graeme Souness, who left the club last week to join Newcastle.

Hughes would be expected to take coach Mark Bowen with him to Ewood Park.

The former Norwich and West Ham defender has only recently left Birmingham where he was Steve Bruce's first-team coach.

/ Hope he does well there.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Best time for Hughes to move was now I think. While everybody still rates him so highly. If Wales continue in their current form his stock could fall quite rapidly. He should do well I think. Another of the great United team take charge at a Premier League club. Makes for some interesting clashes.

Personally, I dont think he should stay on for the qualifiers next month. It should really be a clean break. With a new manager, players tend to put in a bit extra and this could be an advantage for Wales against England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Well, as a rovers fan I was obviously shocked at the flash departure of Souey though many of the supporters are glad to see the back of him, I, as a playing footballer, liked him and his determenation. That said he obviously was rubbing players and staff up the wrong way, Cole, Yorke, Dunne etc so the change will be welcomed by some of the less straight laced at the club!

I like Hughes' attitude and manner. His man managment I would say is top class and I'm happy to see him come in. After all we could have easily got someone totally crap in like Mike Newell!!!! (get that hair-cut sorted!!)

Just givin u guys a supporters pov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hmmm

It wil be interesting to see how he gets on.

I am a rovers fan too, and tbh, i would have preferred seeing someone with more top flight experience like George Graham get the job.

Still, he has done well with wales, so letshope he can turn things around. I wonder if he wuill be given any moey to spend in the transfer window!

X

Advertisement