Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV or ESAT for broadband ?

• 16-09-2004 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hope someone can provide me with a bit of guidance. I'm about to sign up for one of the free broadband trials, but I'm not sure whether to go for UTV or ESAT.

On the one hand UTV is only e30 a month, but they are going to charge me e99 at the end of the three months and give me a USB modem (I really want one with an ethernet port)

On the other hand, Esat is e40 a month, no installation charge (AFAIK - is this right?) and give you a modem with an ethernet port.

Whats the general consensus - UTV or ESAT ?

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

stiofanD wrote:
    Hope someone can provide me with a bit of guidance. I'm about to sign up for one of the free broadband trials, but I'm not sure whether to go for UTV or ESAT.

On the one hand UTV is only e30 a month, but they are going to charge me e99 at the end of the three months and give me a USB modem (I really want one with an ethernet port)

On the other hand, Esat is e40 a month, no installation charge (AFAIK - is this right?) and give you a modem with an ethernet port.

Whats the general consensus - UTV or ESAT ?

Cheers!

For obvious reasons I wont make a recommendation:) but I will point out that it is possible to get an Ethernet modem from UTV for an extra charge. Ripwave has commented on here that he thinks the modem that UTV supply is not satisfactory for security reasons anyways but apart from the comments you may read here in the thread look around the various other threads for comments on things like caps pings etc. Eventually a lot of people end up buying routers so dont let the modem be your sole criterion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I use Esat and find them great. I've had little or no technical problems at all. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

I've been on Esat (IOLBB Plus) for about 4 months now and find it great. The speeds are always fast (50Kb/s+) and I find the cap pleanty (16GB), I never downloaded more than 4GB in a month. The modem they gave me is gathering dust now cos I bought a wireless router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

esat will supply a usb/ethernet router for no additional charge

They do charge an installation fee of €90

they seem to be more secure and reliable in terms of connections and speeds...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ulto

Go for the free trial with esat first. Then see what you make of it. At lesat you will get free BB for 3 months ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Having only tried Eircom an ESATBt, my vote would go for the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Iago wrote:
    esat will supply a usb/ethernet router for no additional charge
    ESAT have only supplied dual ethernet/USB Zyxel Prestige 623-T1s since last November. There is no need to make any special request, it's the standard equipment supplied.

stiofanD wrote:
    On the one hand UTV is only e30 a month, but they are going to charge me e99 at the end of the three months and give me a USB modem (I really want one with an ethernet port).
    You have to sign your phone calls over to UTV to get the €30 service. If you sign your calls over to ESAT, you only have to pay €33.15 for IOL Broadband.
    http://www.iol.ie/bundles/bb_adv.htm (Minimum €15/month spend on phonecalls required).
    stiofanD wrote:
    As far as I know, IOL will also charge €90 "installation" after the 3 month free trial (which looks like it would actually be a disincentive for people to stay on, so it seems stupid to me). But the modem has bothe ethernet and USB ports, and, importantly, provide NAT so that your machine won't be vulnerable to any internet worms that break out.

I've been recommending IOL/ESAT based on the current offerings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Thanks for all the replys!

I think on balance going for Esat is best, so I applied today....unfortunately its a 21 day lead time before activation, so will have to endure 2kB/s downloads for a while longer :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I got my modem and was connected to UTV withinn a week, and when UTV talk when that is launched there could also be huge phone savings, as for speeds I've no problems and there technical department seem to be very efficient any time I had questions, plus its €120 euro's cheaper per year than esat.I'm only 2 months through my 3month free trial but if I decide to stay with UTV I'll get another month free.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭JP Mulvano

Wait hold on a minute €90 after the 3 month trial I got some blurb that says €50. When did anyone else sign up I just got the trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Go with Esat.

TIPPTOP wrote:
    plus its €120 euro's cheaper per year than esat.
    12 times €33.15 is only €37.80.

Don't shoot the messenger ;)

Only going on the info that Esat gives on its broadband page Here
    See nothing about €33

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

TIPPTOP wrote:

See nothing about €33

The €33 only applys if you take their homephone package aswell as the broadband. This is basically committing you to a minimum call bill of €15 per month (whether you make that many calls or not)

TIPPTOP wrote:

See nothing about €33
    IOL/ESAT has a range of bundles, depending on the users needs. If you take the Talk and Surf Bundle 3, then you only pay €33.15 for BB. You're committed to a minimum spend of €15 for phonecalls, but most users make enough calls to cover this. http://www.iol.ie/bundles/bb_adv.htm

gotcha!:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Esats performance is alot more reliable than utv with good download speeds and low pings, utv have highish pings and their past performance history leaves alot to be desired tho they seem to have settled down now, still tho go for esat - better pings, less disconnections and better modem.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Esat's account sides has always had a bad reputation and I had a small experience of this a long time ago - has this side of things improved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,237 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I got broadband a few weeks ago with Esat/BT. As with a friend of mine the waiting time for delivery of the modem etc was about 2 weeks even though they advised about it taking up to 21 working days.

Three things in favour of Esat/BT's as opposed to 1 on Eircom's side

1. I get a discount of about €6.00 per month as I have the phone service with them too.
    2. The technical support calls are low call rate as opposed to 33c per min. with Eircom.
    3. The download limit is twice that of Eircom.

In Eircom's favour was that they had no connection fee in their recent summer promotion as opposed to Esat/BT's €90

I think Eircom may now be charging a connection fee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement