Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Similarities

Options
  • 22-06-1999 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Isn't there some sort of similarity between The Matrix and A New Hope? Think about it.
    Morpheous=Ob1
    Neo= Luke Skywalker
    Trinity=Lea..
    etc.
    And the storyline a bit.....
    All the training and stuff

"Free your mind" = "Use the force"
    Well????????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

As someone once said - ther's only five original ideas in the world and they were all done years ago.

But The Matrix did it SO much better smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Think your talking about some Japanese/Chinese thing. I recall someone mentioning a legend that all stories stem from 5 (? or was it 12?) anyway who knows. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Or maybe the 12 plays by those three Greek guys. Euriptes, Eumenedes and another one. Seemingly , nearly every play written since is just a variant on the plots and sub-plots of these...

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Anyone ever see DarkCity ?
    Now matrix is a direct rip-off of that.

They aren't even remotely similar cheeky.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Graysonn

Apparently The Mummy is a direct rip of of Indiana Jones. I don't care. I'm still going to see it. And I'll probably love it.
    Originality isn't everything.

Gray(OH MY GOD! THERE'S A BLOODY GREAT BOULDER ROLLING TOWARDS ME)sonn

[This message has been edited by Graysonn (edited 23-06-99).]

amazing how prophetic you can be sometimes andy! tongue.gif

The Mummey is a rip off of the Black and white movie of the same name. Hence the horrible acting and lame plot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

o.k. then helv and rev hellfire did yee write this page - http://members.tripod.com/~SPBayha/film/matrixreview.htm cause it says what yee said in a review of the film
    what i want to know is was that yeer actual opinion or did you hear it somewhere

Please don't kill my character. Kill Jonny instead, he's too pretty to live.
    Wait what am I saying. I haven't rolled one yet.
    Screw you Lolth
    (Don't take that in a bad way I don't want to die later either)

• Advertisement

Anyway back to my original point.
    The basic plot line is taken from the black and white film of the same name. However in a traditional hollywood manner it's been rehyped etc.......
    The version is more like Indiana Jones than it's like the original.
    smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

Cheez, I actually came up with that sh`it myself. Didn't think that wny1 would really have thought the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

Just read that review, he is sorta right, but he thought that Blade was good. It was the biggst load of ****ing ****** ****-****e that I have ever seen in my life, well except for Johnny Mnemonic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

i didn't mean to offend if thats what I did i just thought it was weird 2 people have the same opinion - wait a second that can happen can't it! it happens all the frigging time,oh yea sry sunglasses.gif

Almost like two films having the same Plot?
    smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

actually, i think it was said that there are only 5 different themes that make up a story.
    cant remember them but i know love and envy were 2.
    was in the forward of some stephen king book. or maybe it was at the end. hmm, cant even remember which book now. i think it may have been the one of short stories where he gives a little write up at the end of the book describing where he got the ideas and stuff for each wee story in the book. think it may have ben skeleton crew. someone have an ol gander at that and tell me what the rest were.

its true, at the time i treid to come up with just one that didnt have one of those as the main themes in it and i couldnt think of any.

there ya go.
    what was the point of the argument again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Went to see The Mummy there this afternoon - it was a good laff. If ye just want the old matinee popcorn munching fun then go - highly enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you have too much time on your hands.
    and no friends as well smile.gif

you still comin out for drinkis tomorrow night?
    sinnots at 7?
    or i might be eating in waggamammas again at about 6ish if you fancy a bit of a nosh up smile.gif

wwman, those 5 themes were the plays of those Greek guys I mentioned earlier..

does anyone know of the third guy..

procrastones keeps popping into my head for some reason but that's not it... this is going to bug me!

J.

Andy, we've been telling you about your distinct lack of character for years now....

Are you refering to the three great tragedians: Euripides, Sophocles and Aeschylus.
    There the only ones I can think of at the moment.

And as for my lack of character
    Well ok. Point conceded

• Advertisement
Advertisement