Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance, whats the beef.

Options
  • 16-09-2004 11:35am

Ive been driving for four years now and luckily ive been in no accidents so far apart from a few minor shunt n' bumps (always the other guy). Yesterday somebody drove into the back of my car. It was nothing major (it has happen twice before). Just a bit of chipped paint so I let him away with it. But it got me thinking. What are you supposed to do in the case of an accident that requires insurance to cover it.

Ive been driving around for four years without a notion of what to do in the case of an accident. Any one got any pointers?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If someone is injured or if there is a dispute then contact the plod.
    Either way, you should in theory notify your insurance company just to have it on record. What happens if you don't and the other party claim for something? You want to ensure you are fully protected.

Alright. Dispute? as in who had right of way when the crash occured that sort of thing?

What details(numbers ect) would I have to get from the other driver assuming they were at fault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

If he runs into the back of you it's his fault no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

If it's more than a scratch and nobody admits to being at fault (which you should never really do) then I would call the cops to witness it.

Take down the insurance details from the car's insurance cert. Don't just take a piece of paper that the other driver gives you, get the details off the cert itself and get the other driver to do the same.
    Get the make, model and registration off the car.

I keep a disposable camera in the boot of the car cos it could come in handy if there is a dispute afterwards.

If it's a taxi driver, call the cops. No matter what.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

yeah, any kind of dispute over liability, etc.
    Details:- as much as you can but definitley their reg #, insurance company & policy # (from their disk), also try and get their licence # & the name and address on it.
    The more info you have the better. Also handy to have a camera in the car for this kind of thing!

• Advertisement

Sleipnir wrote:

Whys that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

If there is any kind of damage that will require money to change hands call the cops. I have been in an "incident" where the other person has admitted that it was their fault, I didn't call the cops and late they basically told me to p1ss off. There is no proof (unless you took photos) that it ever happened unless you call the cops.

And I agree - even if you dont heed what I just said, always call the cops if its a taxi driver

ronoc wrote:
    Whys that :eek:
    Cause they are more likely to screw you over in the case of an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

just a question regarding after an accident
    ive seen quite a few accidents outside my house ,busy enough junction
    but in almost all cases both carsremain in position, vlocking trafffic until the guards arrive
    this happens even for the most minor of bumps
    ive never seen anyone get out of there car and tell them to move them
    usually poeple get on the path and squeeze thru
    is this right or are they just being plonkers?

Thats right, you're not supposed to move your vehicle the cops arrive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

FX Meister wrote:
    Thats right, you're not supposed to move your vehicle the cops arrive
    I was told once that if you move your car you can be done for leaving the scene of the accident. (In case you are trying to hide the exact position of the car or obscure details from the gardai.) Not surprised if I'm wrong on this though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Sleipnir wrote:
    It's a sweeping generalisation but you can assume that they will try to wrangle out of any fault at all times. A friend was in a car that was broadsided by a seven seat taxi that ran through a stop sign at a blind crossroads. It's the kind of place you'd stop and lean forward day or night for safety's sake. The taxi driver still contested.
    Chalk wrote:
    just a question regarding after an accident
    ive seen quite a few accidents outside my house ,busy enough junction
    but in almost all cases both carsremain in position, vlocking trafffic until the guards arrive
    This is what you're supposed to do but it can be an incredible annoyance. Many of you will probably have seen the feature about traffic in Claregalway on the news last night. A few years ago got caught in a 40 minute tailback there at about 7pm. I couldn't understand why it was taking twice as long as usual until I reached the centre of Claregalway and saw that there had been a minor (very little noticable damage) accident and one driver had swerved over the traffic island. They were obviously unwilling to move their car so every car that came on either side had do stop, lock up onto the foot path, drive past, lock down off the foot path and continue. I got the distinct impression that the Garda who had just arrived at the scene was pointing out to the drivers what idiots they were for causing the drivers for causing the tailback.

Advertisement