Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB and Network Sharing.

• 16-09-2004 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Apology's if this question has been asked several times but, I've got an adsl modem, an Eircon BB dsl line, a multiport hub and a static IP Network. Is it as simple as hooking cat5 from the modem to the hub to share it out? Do they all need to be dynamic IP's? What are the issues and do I have the right equipment? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

pablo21 wrote:
    Apology's if this question has been asked several times but, I've got an adsl modem, an Eircon BB dsl line, a multiport hub and a static IP Network. Is it as simple as hooking cat5 from the modem to the hub to share it out?
    If the "modem" you received from eircom has both USB and ethernet ports (that's all they supplied for almost a year now), then all you have to do is plug the ethernet port from your modem into the Hub. In it's default configuration, the Netopia Cayman supplied by eircom will provide each PC with an IP address, and allow them to reach out onto the INternet.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Ripwave wrote:
    If the "modem" you received from eircom has both USB and ethernet ports (that's all they supplied for almost a year now), then all you have to do is plug the ethernet port from your modem into the Hub. In it's default configuration, the Netopia Cayman supplied by eircom will provide each PC with an IP address, and allow them to reach out onto the INternet.

Thx a mill ripwave, SO does that mean I should leave my network dynamic? i.e. no ip address's?

p.s: Can I access the caymans ip through my browser??? Is there an interface to adjust setup?

p.p.s Just a thought, Should the cable between the modem and the 4 port hub be a crossover if theres no uplink port?? (methinks this could be why it didnt work initially!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

pablo21 wrote:
    Thx a mill ripwave, SO does that mean I should leave my network dynamic? i.e. no ip address's?
    The Netopia will dynamically allocate an IP address to any device that asks for one.
    pablo21 wrote:
    p.s: Can I access the caymans ip through my browser??? Is there an interface to adjust setup?
    Yes, but make sure that you set up the netopia, and verify that it is working before you start messing around with switches and networking.
    pablo21 wrote:
    p.p.s Just a thought, Should the cable between the modem and the 4 port hub be a crossover if theres no uplink port?? (methinks this could be why it didnt work initially!)
    The Netopia has an "auto-sensing" port that does away with the need for a crossover cable (it will do the crossing over itself, if it is needed).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1894318#post1894318

Advertisement