Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Matrix - Review

Options
  • 10-06-1999 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Got preview tickets to "The Matrix" last night. Loved it.

Sound
    Cant say much about this, cos The preview was in UCI screen 4 in Tallaght. It suffered a little from this. The soundtrack is excellent

Effects
    The effects are amazing, from the CGI to the wire effects.
    The Kung-Fu sequences are very good, and not a stunt double to be seen. The scene from the Trailer where Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) runs up the wall while being shot at had me sitting on the edge of my seat

Sets
    ----
    Very well designed.This is the first 'dark' film I've seen that doesn't over use rain/night

Costume
    Amazing, Moss looks emmenantly rideable.The blonde is one to look out for.Reeves boots rock , and I Want Fisburns Coat.

Story
    Good, holds together. Its not totally "Leave your Brain at the door" although I must say, I did buy into the hype (Or lack thereof) and was already sold on the film before I saw it but the story was more than I thought it would be. The characters are good, little of them is revealed, you dont know where they came from, you only know them as they are now. Neo (Reeves) is the hapless hero who gets a mission, standard story. Morpehus (Fishburn) plays the enigmatic leader very well. Trinity (Moss) is a likeable character in more than one way ;P .

Dialog
    Not Brilliant, cheesy lines in cheesy places, but they are supposed to be cheesy.
    Favourite Lines
    "Dodge This!"
    "And thats why _EVERYTHING_ takes like chicken"

Overall
    Excellent, Loved it, Going to see it on tuesday if its in Savoy 1.
    Must see.
    Rating 7-8/10

Theres my 2 euros!

B.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

*gurgle* *splutter*

just back from seeing it in Savoy 1 - the mind boggles, my gast has been well and truly flabbered.

its amazing, incredible effects, kicking soundtrack, great kungfu (chopsocky to you Eamo smile.gif ) plus Larry Fishburn's coat is the coolest item of clothing ever seen. go see it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ahhh, and what chopsocky scenes they were!
    best bit was the wall running in the foyer of the building.
    cool or what?!

oh, and the fx werent bad for a comedy smile.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

First impresions WOW
    2nd 3rd and 4th Oh my god it was sooo cooool

Came out going "I wanna do that!" - something I haven't said after a film in a long long time. Everyone I went with loved every moment of it....

Draco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

Saw it in Savoy 1 last night, and it fooking rocks. The mutts nuts, the best film I've seen since Private Ryan.
    Just need to drop this in, but does anyone know an ftp server where i can get it?
    smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

the best part was after they had shot up the hallway doing that run up the wall thing. You just see a wide angle view of the foyer and several pieces of masonary fall off the wall as they go into the lift...that just had the audience in stiches for some reason.

"There is NO spoon" smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Radovar

Yeah, twas brill alright.

And I agree about the lovely noir feel to it... rainy old buildings. Like Blade Runner, but not done half as well.

So I think it was Blade Runner meets Twelve Monkeys, which I'm gonna rent now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

just saw it this weekend (yeh I know it's a bit late but some of us work you know tongue.gif)...

I have to say..

what a complete and utter load of ******** and complete ****e the ads before such an incredible work of science fiction were. The McDonalds on had the older peeps of the audience in stitches but the rest were crap!

The film didst rock severely. I must say (now, it could have been better - especially the ending -was that a superman ****-take?).. but overall it is one of the best sci-fi flicks around. I'm on a bit of a run.. Cube, Matrix, next Mummy followed by Episode one... what a line up!

anyone know where I can get morpheus' coat? How about Neo's when he got cool? Me wanna cool coooooaaaatttttttt....snot fair sad.gif

I'm off to see it again next week (wahooo!) and I'm definitely adding it to the vid collection...

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Interesting bit of info on Blues News there - apparently The Matrix will only be available to buy on DVD in the US when its released on October 5th.

It wont be available on VHS to allegedly stop kids from seeing people in long black trenchcoats mowing down many a bystander. Obviously they reckon DVD is still 'exclusive' and all.

Of course half the time people who go nuts and mow people down are tech freaks who have all the latest gadgets - so that seems a failry pointless exercise.

Second, you can buy a minigun like the one on the helicopter in the film, for around 20,000 dollars from US importers, with just a four week waiting time - why they dont they discourage sell-thru of miniguns instead? smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Castor Troy (edited 28-06-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

a minigun? like the one blaine had in predator? smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

Yes that would be right, where they ripped up all the jungle trying to kill the predator. One of the best parts of a film I've ever seen. They used live ammo, so I heard. Probably bullsh-it tho'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

JUst saw this film at long last and I have to say its the first movie where the film has lived up to the hype. Excellent entertainment.

Here Trinity, Come to Gandy........

Gandalf the horney sunglasses.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I'm amazed at the variety of people who like this movie... you'd think it was a young persons flick, but my dad (60 years old, I may add) went along to see it in the Savoy the other evening and thought it was excellent... smile.gif

Advertisement