Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Computer Science Degree

Options
  • 16-09-2004 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

I'm starting 1st year this year and I just wanted to get an opinion of the course from graduate's or students currently studying it. I mainly want to know what classes I can skip as its a lot more hours than I expected and I learn a lot better reading a book or notes at home (I took the last 4 months out of secondary school and studied at home) Also whats easy, hard, etc. I got the timetable on Tuesday and I have the following hours:

18 hours Labs :eek:
    6 hours lectures (2 Computer Tech, 2 Problem Solving & Algorithm design, 2 Programming)
    4 hours tutorials (2 Math's, 1 Modelling, 1 Programming)
    5 hours Other department (2 Communications, 3 Maths)

Total: 33 hours. :confused: No break on Thursday (9-5). :eek:

What does Labs and Tutorial's consist of? What is other department? What is Communications and Modelling? Are Labs important to attend? Etc, etc...

Any info would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Computer Science and Software Engineering here, i've only got 25hrs!!

In the introduction to the faculty of science the guy said they wouldn't be in for much more then 24hrs a week!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Hiya irish life
    Im going into 3rd year of FT228 and all Ill say is first year is dead easy! 2nd year is the real bitch. The maths and algorithms would probably be the hardest of them subjects but even still they arent too bad but I wouldnt advise skipping any of Maths/Algorithms/Programming/Modelling

Maths Modelling consists of 5 projects during the year - each worth 20% - and you work in groups of 6. Its not hard

Communications is really boring its just about different ways of communicating within a business (meetings, email, etc, zzzzzz)

You will do C in programming probably with Michael Collins - this would be your most important subject - attend all the labs

Computer tech is really easy and if you have ever used a computer before you could pass it without even attending. Its just basic stuff like what makes up a computer, different hardware, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

Cheers for that repli.

I was told on the tour of the college that Programming is the subject where there are most fails. I got the Programming book yesterday ("a guide to C programming" by Paul Kelly) and it doesn't seem that bad, so far. I was having a look at it last night and got through 28 pages (C Data types + Simple Arithmetic Operations and Expressions) and I didn't have any problems understanding it. The only thing though, I got a CD with it containing djgpp and I haven't a clue what to do. It contains a load of folders but no .exe file to load up if you know what I mean.

Do classes start on Monday at 9.00? For me Communications is at 9.00 on Monday.

BTW I was slated badly by White_Wash_Man for asking what the computer industry is expected to be like in 4 years. Michael Collins said it will most likely be booming and the newspaper reports are all wrong. Also, the head of Computing (I think) said the likes of Dell will be queuing up for graduates in 4 years time. :)

Also how many hours did you have last year and this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

irish life wrote:
    Michael Collins said it will most likely be booming and the newspaper reports are all wrong.

IT booming again is nonsense. Four years down the line, things will have improved but it's unlikely grads will be walking out into high-paying jobs like they used to.
    irish life wrote:
    Also, the head of Computing (I think) said the likes of Dell will be queuing up for graduates in 4 years time. :)

Yep, to assemble computers or if you're lucky, answer the telephones doing technical support for peanuts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Don't worry about the Thursday the time tables are all provisional ,also it against policy to have not have any breaks, you wil have at least one. As everyone else said 1st year is pretty easy, 2nd year is what you need to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

am I the only one who thought that "Guide to C Prog" was crap!??! I mean our C lecturer even said it was but it was a bit hush hush cos Paul K was one of our lecturers too. Usually in the labs you can do your work and leave so you'll have some free time there. Also first year is easy enough but don't get in the habit of skipping lectures cos it'll get harder in 2nd/3rd year.

Ahh Paul is a nice guy.. hes just a bit psychotic
    irish life - get this compiler Dev C++ its free and has a nice friendly interface :

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dev-cpp/devcpp4990setup.exe

Cant really remember what hours I had last year - quite a lot though
    Didnt get my timetable for 3rd year yet - but been told to go in at 9am monday uggh :(

also I wouldnt worry about the state of the industry - if you work hard and are good at what you do, then you will find work. A good idea is to do summer placements - DIT got me one doing programming in ESB International for the summer and they (ESB) told me I could come back in January for the 3rd year work placement if I want which is cool.

Best of luck anyway - probably see you round the snackery sometime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

My first day today. No lecturer turned up for my first 3 classes (Communications, Maths, Algorithm) so went home at 11.00. Waste of a morning. :confused:

irish life wrote:
    My first day today. No lecturer turned up for my first 3 classes (Communications, Maths, Algorithm) so went home at 11.00. Waste of a morning. :confused:

lol thats to be expected! I just got my timetable - played some pool in the snackery - got free goody bag and newspaper and went home! Im gonna show up for the first class 2moro at 10am but it more than likely wont be in - have to go in 2moro for id card collection anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

didnt think it was a good example to be settin us tho with the lecturers not showin up and all...complete waste of a day and nobody could tell us if we were in tomorrow or not..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

orla wrote:
    didnt think it was a good example to be settin us tho with the lecturers not showin up and all...complete waste of a day and nobody could tell us if we were in tomorrow or not..

Do what they say, not do what they do.

Seriously though, First year was nothing compared to second year. Second year was like a holiday compared to third year. And just forget about fourth year. Its a bitch. So, if you don't think you can make it in for your hours in first year because they are too much maybe you should have a rethink about doing the course. Its not going to get any easier.

And you're kidding yourself if you think you can get through the course by just reading notes and books. You'll miss out on little things like explanations and hints.

Although, that said, one of my mates graduated with a 1st, and he didn't turn up for any lectures before christmas in first year. Communications is sooo boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What Briano said!!!!- I didn't want to sound like I was preaching at ya(no offence Briano)...Anyhoos if stuff isn't working out for you - like a project - you could be at it for hours if you get stuck!! And you WILL miss out if you are just going by books!! If you are showing up to class all the time the lecutures will know you and will help you out more - well that was my experience anyways...

Advertisement