Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I the only one phobic about this....?

• 16-09-2004 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

I expect the answer to be yes - but looking for some reassurance anyway.

Got to go to the cinema on my own for the first time in forever last weekend - 2 small kids, DH works shift work blah, blah, blah.....

Any way sitting there all happy not having anyone whinging, puking or peeing at/on me and realised that I absolutley hate the thoughts of being in a fairly empty cinema and having someone sit directly behind me - totally irrantional fear of being stabbed in the back by some one (I know you could analyse the sh)t out of that eh!)
    so some muppet comes in - only about 20 people in the whole damn plance and where does he sit -right behind me - queue creepy feeling and I had to move and look like a total nutter.

please tell me I'm not alone :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

I find it annoying if a group of people sit behind me talking or whatever while im trying to watch the film. I wouldnt even think about them stabbing me. You certainly are a "total nutter".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Wth would someone stab you, an average joe(I'm guessing you're an average joe like most of us)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

This person jumped right into your 'comfort zone'. You wouldn't usually notice because there'd be more people around. The place was pretty empty, so your 'comfort zone' expanded a bit.. When this person sat in it, it freaked you out. I might be the same, though I'd probably be too shy to actually move.. fair play!

Kevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Well, I don't have a phobia about it but I would find it a bit odd. The unspoken rule is that you don't sit near someone you don't know in an empty or nearly empty cinema so I would be suspicious of anyone who did that. You shouldn't feel odd for moving, I would have given the person a glare as well to show them that it was because of them I was moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I wouldn't have stabbed you - just banged you on the head a few times so I could steal your lunch money

• Advertisement

It's more likely that the person would jerk off behind you. Stabbing is quite rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

The unspoken rule is that you don't sit near someone you don't know in an empty or nearly empty cinema

Simu has a good point here.

It is like if you are sitting on an empty bus and someone gets on and sits down next to you. An unspoken rule...you just do not do it cause it freaks people out and makes you look like a psycho stalker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

ArthurDent wrote:
    so some muppet comes in - only about 20 people in the whole damn plance and where does he sit -right behind me - queue creepy feeling and I had to move and look like a total nutter.

I was only trying to take your jacket, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'd share your stabbing worry...

but then I was stabbed last year while watching Magnolia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Sorta like when you go to take a piss and there are loads of free urinals, but someone uses the urinal right next to you.UGH why would they do such a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

eh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

sci0x wrote:
    I find it annoying if a group of people sit behind me talking or whatever while im trying to watch the film. ".

When this happens, I give them one warning after that I'm usually looking at a one way ticket out of the cinema when I empty a big drink over some ignorant langer who can't STFU & let ppl enjoy the movie they've paid to see..... I took someone's mobile off them once, hung up on their caller & turned off the phone & threw it back at them - the ppl around me actually clapped.... least it was far more interesting than the flippin movie...

::: ven0mous :::

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

uh howzabout this, Two 14 year old girls go to see a film and a weird old guy who smells funny sits beside them, keeps rubbing his leg up and down my leg when im wearing a friggin skirt. hands come nearer when i inch away so i say loudly "HEY AISLING IM GOING TO THE TOILET", aisling, looking panicked says "ME TOO". then the big ejit leaves her bag behind and has to run back and get it, we change seats, the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

ven0m wrote:
    When this happens, I give them one warning after that I'm usually looking at a one way ticket out of the cinema when I empty a big drink over some ignorant langer who can't STFU & let ppl enjoy the movie they've paid to see..... I took someone's mobile off them once, hung up on their caller & turned off the phone & threw it back at them - the ppl around me actually clapped.... least it was far more interesting than the flippin movie...

::: ven0mous :::

Dude, you are my new hero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i hate when people invade me personal space for no reason, like when your sitting on an empty bus and someone gets on and sits right near you. if i got on a bus and there was only one or a few people on it, i'd sit as far away as possible - not being rude, just giving everyone their personal space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I'm not really that worried bout it lol but my mum is! She won't let me go to the cinema on my own (even tho I'm 17) cause she's 100% convinced some strange guy wit his coat on his lap is going to sit beside me and hassle me :rolleyes:

I was on a train the other day and some guy spent the 4 hour journey walking up and down the carriages sitting next to any women that had free seats next to them for about 3 minutes and then getting up and going onto the next one. Very odd and annoying.

@Monkeyfudge, were you really stabbed in the cinema or do you just react really badly to Tom Cruise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

ArthurDent wrote:
    I expect the answer to be yes - but looking for some reassurance anyway.

Got to go to the cinema on my own for the first time in forever last weekend - 2 small kids, DH works shift work blah, blah, blah.....

Any way sitting there all happy not having anyone whinging, puking or peeing at/on me and realised that I absolutley hate the thoughts of being in a fairly empty cinema and having someone sit directly behind me - totally irrantional fear of being stabbed in the back by some one (I know you could analyse the sh)t out of that eh!)

please tell me I'm not alone :o

No you are not alone - I would be creeped out too if someone sat behind me in a fairly empty cinema. Never thought of the stabbing though - thanks for putting that idea in my head! You should've just gone to the loo and then sat in another seat.

I was getting the train to Dublin during the summer on my own and the carriage was empty - only me - weirdo gets on and sits in seat behind me. It was a two seater one so he's directly behind me and I can hear him breathing heavily and leering in at me so I moved into another carriage. Really felt like asking him does he have a problem but didn't want to take the chance in case he was a complete nutter which I think he was.

Anyway hope you enjoyed the movie kid-free ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Don't worry ArthurDent, that kinda thing freaks me out too, I hate having sdomeone directly behind me unless they're actually touching me, or unless it's a busy street/cinema/bus/whatever. I'd have moved too, that kind of thing is just unessessary. Mind you, I wouldn't have thought about stabbings. Until now anyway... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

Personally I'm a curtain tie man myself, ironically (or aptly i can never remember) but anyway, I saw it in a movie (can't remember which), guy goes into an almost empty cinema sits in the seat behind a old man and strangles him with a curtain tie, sits back and watches the movie. Only part of the movie I remember though.

• Advertisement

simu wrote:
    @Monkeyfudge, were you really stabbed in the cinema or do you just react really badly to Tom Cruise?

Alas, it was actually in the comfort of my own Home Theatre System. I think it happened around the scene were it looks like Julianne Moore is about to kill herself. Although it's all a bit blury, plot lines tend to get lost when you are suddenly trust into a life and death struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Personally I'm a curtain tie man myself, ironically (or aptly i can never remember) but anyway, I saw it in a movie (can't remember which), guy goes into an almost empty cinema sits in the seat behind a old man and strangles him with a curtain tie, sits back and watches the movie. Only part of the movie I remember though.

damn it, I remember that scene but I can't remember what movie it is from. I have spent the last 10 mins trying to track down the title with google, but alas to no avail, please somebody tell me the title of this movie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Alas, it was actually in the comfort of my own Home Theatre System. I think it happened around the scene were it looks like Julianne Moore is about to kill herself. Although it's all a bit blury, plot lines tend to get lost when you are suddenly trust into a life and death struggle.
    So someone walked into your house and sat down behind you?

But why did they attack you? Did you ask them to turn off their phone or sumtin?

bus77 wrote:
    But why did they attack you? Did you ask them to turn off their phone or sumtin?

ha, well it wasn't quite like that.

I was sitting down watching the film, and then a person who also lives in the house came in and stabbed me in the chest. They'd gone completely mad and are currently locked up in the central mental hospital.

But I have lots of stabbing related paranoia these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭spoon

my friends have a way of trying to freak me out in a simular way.
    They wait for me to go take a piss, then when im standing at the urinal, theyll come in and start rubbing my back, without me knowing it was them. Its incredably hard to piss with someone touching your back, and its also incredably uncomfortable, specially when you dont realise who it is.
    Its pretty evil really, they should respect the rules of the mens toilets, no physical contact!! and keep yer distance at the urinals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It was a mercy killing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

ha, well it wasn't quite like that.

I was sitting down watching the film, and then a person who also lives in the house came in and stabbed me in the chest. They'd gone completely mad and are currently locked up in the central mental hospital.

But I have lots of stabbing related paranoia these days.

Were you leaving lots of unwashed dishes around, or eating their stuff out of the fridge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

fozzle wrote:
    I hate having sdomeone directly behind me unless they're actually touching me

ahem.. one wonders..

As for the original problem, why dont u just sit at the very back? That way no one can sit behind you (think outside of the box friends..)

brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I can't stand to watch someone blow up a balloon.

bye!

• Advertisement

Mear wrote:
    As for the original problem, why dont u just sit at the very back? That way no one can sit behind you (think outside of the box friends..)

Yeah, sure. That's fine as long as you trust the projectionist isn't going to pour boiling oil on top of you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Yeah, sure. That's fine as long as you trust the projectionist isn't going to pour boiling oil on top of you...

Hah! No when is that person ever there? I mean how many times have ppl had to go out and tell em to turn off the f**king lights (UCI Blanchardstown anyway) or that its unfocused?

Projectionist actually being there pah! Unless of course hes actually out of his room, sitting in the seat behind you..

Advertisement