Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Might as well pitch my review of Star Wars PM!

Options
  • 19-07-1999 10:24am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭

While most of the points people have made are valid I'd thought I'd come out in support of this film. I loved it. I can point to all it's weaknesses and still I loved it. Why? I think in my heart I always knew it was never going to mean what the original films did so in the end I just got high on the buzz of seeing a brand new SW movie.
    I have always been a film fan but not your "I couldn't sympathise with the characters and wasn't Eraserhead a great film" type pretentious crap. Different films aim for different levels. How can anyone who saw Star Wars in '77 honestly say :-

(a) that they really believed Lucas could go one better let alone equal the heights of the originals.
    (b) that they expected intelligent dialogue and a deep meaningful plot with a rich variety of characters.

What I hoped for I got. Not a complete disaster with plenty to enjoy and see as well as hope for even more next time round.

The good points:-

1. Darth Maul. Genuinely menacing. The way he paces up and down like a tiger during the fight at the end is excellent.
    2. That fight at the end.
    3. It was a greta relief that the kid wasn't too schmalzty. Could have been worse folks - admit it.
    4. All the action sequences were in your face and pretty exhilirating. ...

I could go on but I'll do what has come so easily to so many, point out the bad parts:-

1. Jaar Jaar was not that irritating himself. Just the whole idea of a digitally rendered character sucks bigtime. It only serves as a constant reminder that it isn't real. Bloody pointless if you ask me. HAving said that I'm sure you'll hear a lot of people say that the character was really annoying but I can't help feeling that people are acting on what they've heard others say. THe bottom line with Jaar Jaar is - should've been a wookie.
    2.The complete loss of opportunity with Darth Maul. I hate the way America is pushing films towards a more sanitary outlook. Hence the likes of Darth Maul wasn't seen enough, mercilessly killing incompetents the way the Dark Jedi we know and love do. Why Not? Be brave George.
    3. Anakin is discovered, it's agreed to train him in some way. Grand, leave it at that. Let the kid dissappear into the background then until his time comes in the next film. Hang on, no you're not, Oh my God you are. You've made him the saviour of the day at 10 years of age. That really sucked big time.

M

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Have to agree here. TPM was never going to be as good as any of the first three.

Darth Maul was definitly under used. He really oozed evil, just like Vader did.

The sabre figh - oh my god - it was amazing...I want a light sabre more than ever now.

Jar Jar - I heard he was annoying. I was willing to give him a chance, but ARGH! everything about him annoyed me! His walk, his voice, his antics! ARGH! ARGH! Not since the Zulus in Civ I have I wasn't to commit genocide on a race sooo badly...

Anikin saving the day at the end was too Dinseyesque for me....

The Pod race I felt was too drawn out...but the Tuscan raiders firing on the race was classic!

Okay some of the dialog was, to be nice, complete crap - espcially Sammuel L. Jacksons and Yodas "Was it the Master or the Apprentice" talk.

Over all it was a good film but not the great film the fans were hoping for.

Draco

Advertisement