Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom censoring e-mail?

Options
  • 16-09-2004 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭

I've a journalist friend in Eastern Europe who I mail regularly. Recently Eircom has started to block my messages because '212.36.0.230 does not like recipient.'

I tried contacting Eircom to get them to solve the problem, they want 33c/minute to discuss it.

I can still mail this address from a web mail account (not Eircom).

Anyone else had their mail blocked by Eircom? What has Eircom got against Eastern European journalists? As far as I know he's never written anyting about Eircom, although he might do so now......

Do Eircom refund support call charges if the problem is caused by them?

C.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

You're joking, right? :D

In all seriousness though, I seriously doubt it's anything more than a technical hickup somewhere in eircoms mail server. Try email rather than the extortionate phonecalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I've a journalist friend in Eastern Europe who I mail regularly. Recently Eircom has started to block my messages because '212.36.0.230 does not like recipient.'

Eircom aren't blocking the mail. Techno-Link are, because eircom's mail servers have been blacklisted. This happens a lot, because eircom do little to rectify spam mail. It'll probably clear itself up again in a few days, but is likely to happen again. It boils down to their ineffectiveness in solving spammers on their network, which leads to their blacklisting on many email blacklists, which Techno-Link must use to see if the sender machine has a bad reputation.
    I can still mail this address from a web mail account (not Eircom).
    And you will be from any reliable/well-managed network/service.

That made me laugh, out loud, which doesn't happen often, when I'm alone!! Nah, they won't .. they're not a customer-centric company.

HTH
    .cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

>>Try email rather than the extortionate phonecalls.

Tried e-mail, they told me to make an expensive phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

"Does not like recipient" is the reply from 212.36.0.230 i.e. the destination mail server, which generally speaking means that you either have the wrong email address or else something has been changed on the mail server belonging to the person/ISP you're sending to.
    I would doubt that other mail server is blocking eircom originating mail, you'd get a bounce telling you something to that effect. Usually they have links to the blacklist they're using or a bounce actually saying the server has been configured to reject mail from wherever.
    Post up the full bounce back.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Does not like recipient" is the reply from 212.36.0.230 i.e. the destination mail server, which generally speaking means that you either have the wrong email address or else something has been changed on the mail server belonging to the person/ISP you're sending to.
    Agreed. Best if you post up the full bounce mail, headers and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moving this over to nets/comms.

The problem is specific to using Eircom's mail relay. If I use the web mail client of the company (not Eircom.net) that hosts my domain & mailboxes, the mail gets through.

Either the destination server does not like Eircom (possible) or Eircom is applying filters to the mail it attempts to deliver.

Either way, Eircom want money to discuss the problem. There's no guarantee of a fix & no refund even if the problem is caused by them.

It would be useful to know which it is as I may decide to switch BB provider when the contract's up.

People should be very concerned about the possibility of their mail not being delivered by Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Eircom does not apply filters to outgoing mail

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

212.36.0.230 is the receiving server in Bulgaria, so I don't see how it could be an Eircom issue.

This is the latest rejection message:

193.201.172.114 does not like recipient.
    Remote host said: 550 Service unavailable; Client host [159.134.118.26] blocked using t1.dnsbl.net.au; see http://dnsbl.net.au/rmst/ and http://dnsbl.net.au/lookup/?159.134.118.26
    Giving up on 193.201.172.114.

I found this on the referenced site:

159.134.118.26 YES LISTED BY rmst.dnsbl.net.au --> see http://dnsbl.net.au/rmst/
    159.134.118.26 YES LISTED BY psbl.surriel.com --> see http://psbl.surriel.com/
    159.134.118.26 YES LISTED BY t1.dnsbl.net.au --> see http://dnsbl.net.au/t1/

It looks like Eircom (159.134.118.26) is being blacklisted?

No doubt Eircom will say it's not responsible for the actions of other people's servers, but is there any justification for Eircom being blacklisted? For example, is it allowing its mail server to be used for spamming & getting Eircom customers a bad reputation on the net?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The sending IP on your end (eircom) is blacklisted on 3 blacklists:
    http://www.openrbl.org/ip/159/134/118/26.htm

Contact Eircom about it

I tried customer support, they want money (33c/minute) to discuss it.

I've sent a complaint to 'abuse'.

I am pessimistic that Eircom will resolve this.

Can ComReg be invoked?

Will probably switch to a more reputable ISP when the contracts is up.

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I am pessimistic that Eircom will resolve this.
    You're right to be. You will probably be passed from dept to dept, each one saying "Those servers are external, there's nothing we can do about them".
    Can ComReg be invoked?
    No. Even if ComReg had any spine, they'd still be useless. This doesn't fall under their remit.
    Will probably switch to a more reputable ISP when the contracts is up.
    Get yourself webmail. Gmail is probably the best. That way any mail sent won't be sent from eircom's servers, but from Gmail's. You can also download a notifier that tells you when you receive new mail without having to have the browser open.
    There are loads of invites to Gmail flying about (I've given all mine away recently).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

It looks like Eircom (159.134.118.26) is being blacklisted?

Like I told you 2 weeks ago!

Good luck in getting eircom to do anything about it.. I never had any luck getting the same thing sorted 3 or 4 years ago. My client ended up applying (and paying for the privilege) for a new fixed IP in a different net block.

If you do get anywhere, please let us know how you went about it.

.cg

My mail is on a rival service provider, I'll probably switch to their ADSL service as soon as I can get out of the Eircom contract.

Yes, I can use web mail there, but that's not convenient.

It's a pity there's no secure way to use my use my mail program to send mail via my 'home' mail server while on Eircom's network (e.g. with a password etc).

No answer yet from Eircom, no doubt they're preparing a comprehensive reply.

Advertisement