Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

an actually good reviewer?

• 22-07-1999 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

have a look at this guy Derek O'Connor. He's not bad at all. Better than that fanning git anyway....

the Matrix review:
    http://doras.tinet.ie/Movies.nsf/MovieReview/6201FC1FA3F9E0DA802567840052018A

TPM:EP1 review...
    http://doras.tinet.ie/Movies.nsf/MovieReview/7AC21782B3BBFD2A8025679A0059F12A

think I'll be reading his stuff from now on..

anyway, saw TPM:EP1, and..well...emmm...
    it 's not what I would call a classic. (that politically correct enough). It is a kids movie, aimed at children with enough complexity thrown in to keep adults amused. Special effects are stunning (and I agree, too obvious in places), the acting is a bit wooden (especially Ewan... oooh 1st name basis!) and you don't get drawn into it as much as the first three.

But, as a film it was enjoyable, it was fun and that's all it is meant to be. It is also a very PC intro to the SW universe, with women pilots now, slaves that aren't really mistreated, kids that can do lots of stuff.. and very, very few actual people killed. I would consider it Star Wars revamped and brought up to speed for the modern film market. Personally, I think Lucas should have said 'screw the box office, I'll tell the story because that's what I always said I'd do' but of course, no-one ever does that.

spoiler type questions though not really

a few things:
    is the dwarf who pops up every now and then (I counted three time) the guy, baker, who played R2?

Is the shape in the background during the scene after the landing on Tat. a plane (again) or an added in graphic? Do you think they are taking the p*ss out of what happened the first time round?

I was asked afterward if I spotted the ET cameo. Was there one? (seemingly in the council scene)

Is the Naboo fighter (the big silver one) really a Lockheed Blackbird, painted silver (instead of black) and the bits out the back of the engines lengthened?

How come, if this film is in the days before SW: A new Hope, the ships are much more streamlined, cleaner, nicer colours and overall much more Tim White/Syd Meid looking?

why the hell have you read down this far. Go do something useful!

J.

Preacher LoLth: 'Suffer little children. Suffer!'

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

To answers one of your questions:

There are ET's in the concil scene - you can see them twice. I seen 'em myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The dwarf is the guy who plays Willow, he got the part in return for being Lucas love toy.

Anyone spot the PodRacer game plug at the Pod race. should of had them playing Quake, might of been a bit more believable.

Advertisement