Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adventures

• 16-09-2004 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭

After reading many books about going off into the wild or lost at sea, or travelling from country to country and other adventures it made me realise how unexciting my life is, and that i plan to change.

But, have you guys ever had any exciting adventures? or are all the real exciting adventures all just fiction? Please explain in great detail if you've ever been on a good journey / adventure. Id like to hear real ones rather than just adventures of fictional characters.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Everyday is an adventure for me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

Ah yea, my best friend and I used to just pull out a map and drop a coin or somethin on it, then go there. Ive had some great trips that way,met really interesting people. Not your high budget, pre packaged vacation type of fun, but we would really have a great time with hardly any money. I live in the states, and there's a signifigant Amish population in north eastern Ohio. Went there once and were invited into a house, fed, entertained. It was really interesting and gave me a great insight into a different culture. Oh and once we stumbled into a skydiving instruction place , decided to give it a whirl and became quite hooked. Spontaneous adventures are always the best in my opinion :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I dont know why but everytime I see a post from you asking for peoples experiences I think: school project hehehe ;)

The most exciting adventure was probably when I decided to sell everything i owned and move to a country where I didnt really know anyone except by email with no job prospects and only hope in my heart.
    I lasted 4 months with no job and since funds were running out had to go back home but I had a blast all the same and I would definitly do it all over again.
    I made tons of friends that I still talk to all the time and am going back to visit this fall ;)

Life is short, live your life with no regrets...do whatever your little heart desires and while there will be mistakes made, the lessons learned make up for it.

I am always planning some adventure of some sort, what would life be without them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Most exciting adventure - the boat trip down around cork and kerry.

so we're in castletown bear harbour and its 11pm and we're anchored. had a few drinks, getting drunk - gps alarm goes off. we notice we're drifting. so we decide we'll haul up the anchor and drop it again. cept the anchor is stuck somehow, yet drifting under the silt. and pulling the bow down. you can hear wood and all creak and that kinda thing from the tension. SO we manage to trip the switch on the power and have to release the windlass manually (took four of us in the end tbh) - manage to get the windlass working and then have to try and get the anchor back onto it (took three again, insane amount of pulling and heaving.

and finally the anchor comes back up.

Cue three hours of motoring round the bay dropping and hauling anchor and continuously drifting (at this stage we're all exhausted) and we EVENTUALLY at around two or three am find somewhere we THINK we're safe, and so we decide to set up a watch system. then a crosswind hits us and we start drifting again. go to start the engine. its dead.

So we're drifting. in a small bay. with no engine.

towards rocks.

****e.

So while one of our friends (If Ferror reads this, insanely well done :P) rewires the engine to a different battery, Andrew steers us towards some derelict trawlers, hops on the zodiac and attempts to stop the bow slamming into the trawlers, myself SOL and Strawberry run about getting between our boat and the trawlers and putting ourselves in grave danger. we did actually crash, but avoided running aground and just as we got ourselves in a safe position Ferror got the engines working and we motored away. first thing we see as we come out of the bay? a shipwreck.

eventually reached a safe harbour at 6am. woke up three hours later, ate a sausage, choked on a rasher, tried eating rasher again, choked again. went to bed.

Best trip ever tbh :D

best adventure ever too :D

Advertisement