Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are All Optic Cables the Same?

Options
  • 16-09-2004 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I need to get an optic cable to connect my DVD player to a new 5:1 AV receiver.
    I saw one today in DID Blanchardstown for €8 and one next door in Maplins for €41.

I'm not an expert but surely a digital signal should be the same from both or should be the Maplin's one be better.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I can't honestly recommend either cable but there is the old addage " you gets what you pays for". With optical "cables" the quality of the glass used as the core determines the price of the cable. Some cheaper cables may use plastic while better more expensive ones may use glass.

The critical part is the interface between the connector and the light source/sensor otherwise known as the coupler. The angle at which the light enters the core is critical, if the end of the cable is not properly polished or the interface is not sound then the light entering gets refracted by all the abnormalities in the surface and ends up with several paths through the cable resulting in each path arriving at the receiver at different times possibly causing errors.

I'd suggest you wait until Robbie1876 posts as he has more practical experience in this field, but personally I would avoid the cheaper one.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

ZENER explained it all much better than I could! I once had a cheap thin optical cable that probably had been bent and broken internally at some stage. This cable was being used for a PS2 to 5.1 amp. There was lots of audible errors, the sound was breaking up like a CD skipping. So generally speaking, thicker cables are obviously less likely to break, particularly the ones with 'rope' outer layers.

You'll probably never hear the difference between two working optical cables unless you have some seriously high end audio equipment and superman grade hearing. If your DVD and amp are average enough, ie less than a grand in total, go with the €8 lead, as you won't hear the difference going for the €41 one.

Robbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Max

Thanks guys for your replies.

I recently got a Marantz SR5400 receiver and KEF KHT 2005 speakers so I won't spoil it by getting the cheap cable. Although maybe €41 is a bit much. I've seen others around €20 to €30.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I've used this Profigold cable on most of my small to medium size jobs and have had no complaints. It retails for about €25 to €30 here, and is very common around town, places like Dixons and Harvey Normans carry them. One thing I like about this cable is it makes a very secure connection. Once it's in place, you have to pull pretty hard to get it out again.

Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

See !! Told ya he'd put ya straight . . . which reminds me, don't be tempted to buy a cable thats longer than absolutely required if you can help it.

Coil any excess in large diameter loops and never leave any sharp bends, light doesn't travel to well 'round corners. If you don't believe me try bending the cable at a sharp angle and hear the photons squeeeeel ! ;)

ZEN

• Advertisement
Advertisement