Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Citizens Army Uniform

Options
  • 16-09-2004 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi there,

I need any information on the uniform of the Irish Citizens Army for a project, particularly the womens uniform. There are very few pictures available it seems.
    Does anyone have any info, know any good links?

All information is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

If you are in the Dublin area - or can easily get here - I believe the National Museum has a few actual examples, if my memory is correct.

I'm not sure whether those exhibits would be in Kildare St or Collins Barracks. Maybe contact the museum and see what they can do for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

There are uniforms in the Kildare street museum, and I believe the citizens army ones too. Just note that you can't take pictures of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Chopper George

Thanks people for the advice. Well its not actually for me, its for someone following a fashion class and in this years project they must re-create a historical costume, and it must be in black. I know the ICA uniform is not black but it wouldnt look bad in that colour.
    The ICA womens uniform is unique in that it is probably the first time women fought in battle in western Europe. But Im willing to suggest other costumes if anyone has any suggestions???? Can be mens or womens, with the time limit being until 0 - 1920.

Do you think I would get away with sneaking a couple of flashless digital photos in the museum?? Its for a good cause after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you think I would get away with sneaking a couple of flashless digital photos in the museum?? Its for a good cause after all!
    Then ask a curator, they become helpful when asked.

They won't like people taking pictures as (a) it is a security risk (b) flash photography and other harsh light damages the materials.

Victor wrote:
    Then ask a curator, they become helpful when asked.

They won't like people taking pictures as (a) it is a security risk (b) flash photography and other harsh light damages the materials.
    Copyright reasons were the reasons I was given. It's the property of the museum, and they don't want unlicenced pictures of their material published I guess. They did say to me that i fyou want to take pictures, you can talk to the curators and get special permission. Ask before you do it anyway.

• Advertisement

Copyright reasons were the reasons I was given. It's the property of the museum, and they don't want unlicenced pictures of their material published I guess. They did say to me that i fyou want to take pictures, you can talk to the curators and get special permission. Ask before you do it anyway.

Surely the museum has material like photos they will give to serious researchers? Otherwise what are we paying our taxes for? I know they have a lot of the stuff in Collins Barracks photographed.
    The ICA womens uniform is unique in that it is probably the first time women fought in battle in western Europe.

Joan of Arc? Boudicca?

well yeah they'll give stuff to serious researchers who go through the proper channels. Walking in and just taking snaps will not go down well is what Im saying. I did it, was getting away with it too, then the flash went off accidently, security guard came over, firmly asked not to do that, and found out the channels you need to go through first. Found out the hard way if you will...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh yes, flashes can trigger some fire / security alarms.

There might be useful information in this book

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭benhurt1

• Advertisement
Advertisement