Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryan Giggs

• 16-09-2004 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

one word- disgraceful.

woeful start to the season and just gets worse match by match, you wouldnt have known he was on the pitch. legend in his day but time to move on, time to push him out and transfer list him.

duff should be brought in, its the perfect time once the window opens at christmas, he's out of favour at chelsea and just loves to play football, he deserves to play football at the highest level unlike giggs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

if fergason has his thinking cap on he will snap up Duff and dump Giggs. United might have better luck with Duff and Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

For once I have to agree with Smemon, Giggs has been a disgrace this season. Hes not even trying anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It saddens me to see my team these days. Ever since Ferdinand got banned our football has been ****. It has been like Dominoes. He went then off the pitch hassles just got worse and our football has been ****.

I am not also blaming the likes of Djemba or Kleberson or Howard for that...it is the team as a whole. It is disgusting at times watching them.

Giggs and co - what the **** has happened you?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

I agree wholeheartedly that giggs should be turfed out. I've been saying it for ages. If you remember I posted a thread on this before the season started, and there were a lot of people saying I was mad. But blatantly he needs to go. He's totally disinterested, more interested in waving his hands around for a free kick when he loses the ball (again) than chasing back. I'm sick of him. He's been like this for a few years now. The thing is we all know he still has it. He just doesn't seem interested in producing it. EVen if we can't get the Duffer we should be getting some sort of left sided player just to show him his place isn't guaranteed. Bet we'd see a different Giggsy then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Giggs has becom a very frustrating player in the last few years. As I always say about him, there are four or five matches every season when Giggs will single handedly win the game for United but over the last few years his contribution in all the other games has been declining. He still has pace, he still has skill, he can still destroy teams but he rarely ever seems to want to do it.

Essentially United don't really have anyone to play in his position.

If Solskjaer were fit then Fergusson would have the option of playing him on the right and Ronaldo on the left, but anyone else that comes to mind isn't a natural wide player.

I think that United should have bought Duff when Chelsea did. I don't think that Chelsea will sell Duff during the season and if they do I sincerely doubt that it would be to one of their major domestic competitors (that's on the fingers-crossed assumption that united are actually above about sixth come January).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

cheesedude wrote:
    It saddens me to see my team these days. Ever since Ferdinand got banned our football has been ****. It has been like Dominoes. He went then off the pitch hassles just got worse and our football has been ****.
    According to sky sports news ManU have only been the 7th best team in the league in the games since Ferdinand stopped taking part.

They're much better then that and there's a few players coming back now. RVN this week and Ferdinand next week. Don't think it'll be long before United are a force again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Sorry, you cant have Duff, he's on his way to anfield ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Agree here! Giggs has been useless so far this season and for the last 2 seasons hasnt really anything to get 2 excited about!! Ferguson will never sell Giggs but at this stage will have to think about a replacement! can see Duff moving at Jan or close season!! Miget_Lord I dont see Liverpool coming in for him and Duff has already admitted he would have loved to move to Utd instead of Chelsea but they didnt come in for him so if Liverpool and Utd come in at the same time I can only see him heading for Utd.....with Duff and Ronaldo on the wings and the strike force they have now Utd wud be a force again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

I don't think United will be spending any big money at all in the January transfer window. I'd say Fergie has spent the budget for the whole season after the Rooney transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I would agree with what leroybrown has to say about Giggs. The only reservation I would have about Duffer would be his proness to injury but other than that i think he would be a good signing if we could get him but as talla says united have probably spent their budget for this season and would have to sell to be able to get him. I think Duff will move this season too as he seems to be surplus to the Chelski managers requirments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Ah yeah, cant see him going to anfield in all honesty. Besides i think our attentions are elsewhere at the moment, Mista and Ayala mayhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Ah yeah, cant see him going to anfield in all honesty. Besides i think our attentions are elsewhere at the moment, Mista and Ayala mayhaps.

Yeah heard that because Benitez has got his court case over with Valencia he is going to make a move in Jan for both players!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Sorry, you cant have Duff, he's on his way to anfield ;)
    ill allow it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

**puts on best Kevin Keegan angry voice**

"I would love it, if Duff went to Utd., love it!!"

But seriously, I really would love to see him go to Utd.
    Realistically a move to Utd. would be the only option for him when you consider that Duff could only really go to one of the top 4 teams in the PL.

1. Arsenal - It's quite obvious that that's not going to happen when they have players like Pires and Reyes playing in his position.

2. Chelsea - Well he's already there as a bench warmer.

3. Man Utd. - Best option imo as Fergie only has Giggs as a natural left sided player, with the option of Ronaldo playing there but that's not ideal, but as has been discussed Giggs has become quite stale as a player and they need a replacement. Plus Keano could be in Fergie's ear about signing Duff and hopefully they would have the money to sign him.

4. Liverpool - I don't think that's an option as they seem to have other transfer priorities at the moment and they have a first teamer left side winger in Kewell.

So yeah, Giggs has to either go or if he doesn't go they certainly need to sign some one (hopefully Duff) as an option.

B.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Giggs is at the end I am afraid, age has caught up with him and since he no longer has his speed he lacks the creativty to compensate.
    Duff to be honest is way too injury prone for my liking.
    Solari has been mentioned but there is no left sided midfielder out there that stands out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

what about andy reid.....

what about andy reid.....
    He's good, but I don't think he's up to top four premiership standard as yet. Apparently there are question marks over his professionalism too

Apparently there are question marks over his professionalism too

Hmm, interesting! Explain please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The Muppet wrote:
    I think Duff will move this season too as he seems to be surplus to the Chelski managers requirments.
    Quote by Mourinho 2 weeks ago:

On Lampard: "He has been used to playing side by side with Claude Makelele but when that changes he must play in a different line than Makelele.
    "And when we play two wide midfielders in Damien Duff and Arjen Robben - which we will - it will be much easier for him."

That would make for a very unbalanced midfield. I dont believe he will play that and even if he does I doubt it will be sucessful. I dont think Duff can be very happy at Chelsea and If the right offer comes in for him he will leave. After all he stalled on signing for them in first place for as long as he could in hope of a rival bid from his preferred destination.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote:
    Hmm, interesting! Explain please?
    IIRC himself and Foy were told a couple of years back to shape up or ship out. Reid apparently shaped up, therefore is still there. But I don't think he gets on too well with those at Forest. He looks like the type also who could struggle with his weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The Muppet wrote:
    That would make for a very unbalanced midfield.
    Ireland played with 2 left wingers in the same team for the last 2 games. :D

eirebhoy wrote:
    Ireland played with 2 left wingers in the same team for the last 2 games. :D

I rest my case. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

to be honest I think Utd have the ammunition there already..

Smith was fantastic for leeds last season on the right side of midfield so play him there with ronaldo on the left, failing that give richardson a run, he has tonnes of ability if he's given a chance..

Iago wrote:
    to be honest I think Utd have the ammunition there already..

Smith was fantastic for leeds last season on the right side of midfield so play him there with ronaldo on the left, failing that give richardson a run, he has tonnes of ability if he's given a chance..
    I'm not convinced by Richardson at all. In fact, I'll say now he'll never make it at Utd. I've seen him a fair few times now and he's too light weight, and seems to make some very dumb decisions at times! Loses the ball an awful amount. I don't think he's up to it.

I'm not convinced by Richardson at all. In fact, I'll say now he'll never make it at Utd. I've seen him a fair few times now and he's too light weight, and seems to make some very dumb decisions at times! Loses the ball an awful amount. I don't think he's up to it.

I agree 100%. I don't rate him at. I reckon he stood out as a kid when everybody was the same size and strength but as he got older everybody just surpassed him. Every time I see him play I'm just waiting for him to mess up, he just runs around like a headless chicken all the time. I can definitely see him being sold.

B.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

"I'm not convinced by Richardson at all. In fact, I'll say now he'll never make it at Utd. I've seen him a fair few times now and he's too light weight, and seems to make some very dumb decisions at times! Loses the ball an awful amount. I don't think he's up to it."

Exactly another chadwick, flatters to deceive. To be honest we have nothing the reserves as far as left side goes. I am an a follower of the reserve matches on MUTV and have been impressed with a number of the players, McShane, Rossi, Jones, all who I think should be given their chance.

There is no one there at the moment who I would love to have on the left side of midfield. Duff would be great but just too injury prone
    Reid - I am still to be convinced

Honestly bar that off the top of my head I can think of no one else.

At the end of the day Giiggs is getting old, he has served us very well, I would hate to see him booed or anything but some of his displays do test the nerves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

glad to see everyone is also frustrated with giggs, the danger is because he's been such a loyal servant down the years that the club might feel they owe it to him to keep him as he had always stuck by them.

ive no doubt fergie regreted not signing duff once he went to chelsea and established himself as their main man under ranieiri. 17m was a snip and if he's available at around that again i'd fully expect utd to pounce in january, if they can afford it or not.

duff's a 'pool fan which could dent our chances but i cant see liverpool shelling out 20m when they already have a decent left side.

there's a shortage of world class left wingers duff, pires, kewell are about the best of a poor bunch, imo duff's the best left midfielder in the world by a LONG shot. pires and kewell dont always give 100% and dont pull their weight whereas duffs work rate is 2nd to none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Pires isn't a winger , he's a left midfielder , but other than that you're right .
    Smemmon right ? , no it must be me and im wrong ;) .

edit: oh and Vicente is the best left-winger in the World .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Big Ears wrote:
    edit: oh and Vicente is the best left-winger in the World .

doesnt have the work rate of duff and isnt a team player. you know what you get with duff, vicente is in a different league with weaker defences. veron was one of the best midfielders in the world wasnt he, i remember most people saying that. look can deceive, duff has established himself already in the premleague and with ireland on the world stage.

surely duff would be chosen over vicente in most peoples books?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Veron is World class he just wasn't suited to the Premier League .
    Vicente isn't injury prone and his crosses rae more dangerous .
    But hey its a tight one .

Advertisement