Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

James' Hospital Casualty Dept.

• 17-09-2004 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

Almost every week, we hear in one way or another, how bad the health service in this country is..... this is not one of those times.

I was recently brought into casualty dept in james hospital in absolute agony, and was there for one night, and I have to say, there i met the nicest, most dedicated professionals I have ever had the pleasure to meet in my 26 years of very regular hospital visits.

As i say, i was in a lot of pain, and im not a pleasant person at the best of times, i tend to get sarky and bitchy when im in pain lol, but i was dealt with with great care, understanding and most importantly to me, respect.

Two nurses inparticular seemed to be assigned to me, one really nice female nurse whos name i do not know, (but she wore a lot of eyeliner lol), and a male nurse called Shane,.... i think.

I dunno if anyone here works there, but I wanted to say that the people who work in that dept really do deserve a medal, and for me to say that believe me is highly highly unusual.

So, if any of u guys an gals in james' casualty dept ever read this. THANK YOU from the guy in the wheelchair that came in last thursday. :)

B

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

i work there and its nice to get some thanks for a change ,you wont beleive the stuff we have to put up with ,,,,so as you said its nice for someone not to be putting us down ...thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Falkorre, I second that. I have spent a lot of time in St James over the past 2 years both in casualty and in the wards and I find the staff very caring, kind, friendly and professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

I have to agree that the nurses, porters and other staff in the A & E Dept in James Hospital are brilliant... BUT the so called doctors are absolutely useless!
    I have on many instances witnessed complete incompetance and lack of respect from these "professional" people.

My last adventure in James Hospital A & E had me brought in by ambulance with a back injury... I had been dragged under a 40ft truck from my bicycle.
    After a few pokes and prods, a few x-rays and very little attention... I was sent home saying that I only had cuts and bruises.
    The doctor concerned never once prescribed a tetenus (sp) injection nor even requested that a nurse help pick the pebbles out of my rather torn back, bottom and legs.
    I was begrudgingly given painkillers when I tried to stand up to leave and passed out from the pain.
    One month later I was re-called to a review clinic only to be told, "Oops, we made a slight mistake. You actually have a fractured vertebra".
    They showed me the x-ray... it was extremely hard to miss ffs and I had been walking around like that for a full month!!!!!!
    I got no apology. Of course they cant apologise because they would be admitting liability and leave themselves wide open to a law suit.
    Needless to say, I was NOT impressed. I had to wear a brace for about 4 months and no one would tell me if the month without the brace immediately after the accident did me any further damage :(

I understand that the A & E Depts are pushed to the limit and most of the staff work well beyond their job descriptions and I admire them for that.
    Unfortunately, SOME certain individuals bring down the good reputation.

I've since had need to go to hospital for various tests and procedures and when I am referred to James Hospital I always request a change... I'll never set foot in there again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

i was brought in with torn ligaments, i was out of there after a few hours and all! it was great, feel sorry for the physiotherapy department though...bet everyone goes home hating them.
    my sister was brought in on christmas day after charging into a roadsign and splitting her chin open (dumbass) and said they dealt really well with her too....but the doctors think she just fell apparently...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The real problem with health care has never been the doctors and nurses, almost all of whom do exceptional jobs. It's the f***ers in management who waste so much money on crap that there's not enough to spend where it's needed. When you consider how much extra money has gone into the health service in the last few years and how the service has deteriorated in the same time there's obviously some serious mismanagment going on. And instead of firing all the executives getting payed hundreds of thousands a year to sit on their asses and spend millions on consultants reports to tell them what brand of photocopier paper to use, poor old Charlie McCreevy get's the boot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement