Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling commuter facilities ?

Options
  • 17-09-2004 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

My employer is relocating to the city center and I've a commute of about 10 miles. No problem, I'm actually looking forward to it. I love mountain biking, being riding for years and 20 miles of urban singletrack every day will have me in great shape for racing next season. But....

Problem 1: Bikes are expected to be left in the car park which is accessed via a locked gate (keypad thing). No CCTV, no security guard and no locked bike shed. My bike cost the guts of 2,500 yoyo, so thats not on. Anyone know of any secure storage options around Merrion Square/Westland Row ?

Problem 2: No showers on site. I'd like to able to take a shower and have somewhere to store my gear and a change of clothes. Apparently there is some bull**** rule about showers changing the rateable value of a building, or so the suits tell me. Again, any options for this ?

It fcking pisses me off that when the traffic is so bad and the public transport so crap that employers are not obliged to provide facilities for cyclists.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

1: Spend 250 quid on locks?

2: Some people use baby wipes, others damp paper towels, to clean off in the toilets (the accessible toilets (required by law) double as a handy changing room. Deo, and a change of clothes should sort you...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭SteM

re showering.

If you're a real stickler for having to shower then you might look into off peak membership of the Markovich (sp?) gym, it's up near tara street station. Far from ideal but it might be of some use to you. Other that that it's baby wipes (which is what I've resorted to).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

the marcowicz (sp) gym is an option certainly. If you're a serious business man kinda guy then baby wipes won't cut it - you just won't be fresh and consequently taken seriously I'd say. Lockable carpark - the place I worked in had one of these and it wasn't safe, but it was accessed by loads of people. But you can't leave a 2.5k bike in the elements TBH, you'll make crap of it in no time. You'll need mudguards to commute - which may not be an option on a race bike. I'd look into the 2nd hand market if I were you.

Advertisement