Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dive Computers

Options
  • 17-09-2004 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hey guys. Just wondering what dive computer everyone dives with. I've been diving happily with my Aladdin Sport for the last few years but as I'm starting to get into Nitrox and accelerated decompression, it just won't cut it any more. It doesn't even have the ability to act as a bottom timer. Its an air computer or not at all.

I'll be upgrading in the coming months. Just wondering what people currently use themselves and what they would recommend to upgrade to seeing as I'll be using at least 2 mixes in the coming months. Do ye use your computers as computers or just fancy bottom timers if you're diving mixed gas.

And just so ye know.. the VR3 is out of my price range, even though it would be nice to get ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Your half right donny ;) .... the aladin won't act as a bottom timer. But you don't need to upgrade you need to downgrade.

The UWATEC Dive Timer Gauge costs Estimated Euro's € 94.47 ex shipping from diverswarehouse or PRICE : £72.50 from http://www.aquaholics.org with free shipping to ireland. I've bee diving with this for about a year since i got pissed off with my Aladin Pro Ultra not being able to allow me to get out of the water after a bit of accelerated decompression.

So instead of reaching deep into the account and shelling out 500eur for a conservative computer that does gas switches for just air and nitrox (not even including trimix) spend the 100euro and get yourself a unit that will take you through Air/Nitrox/TriMix/CCR. I mean you are more than likely diving runtimes as back up already right?

Regards build quality, they are pretty good. Good strong rubberised strap that can be just replaced by popping the head unit out and putting into a spare strap.

If you want a look at one give me a shout... where are you in Ireland... dublin? (is there anywhere else?)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

Thanks for the offer but I know the unit well enough already. Some of my friends dive with it still. I knew someone was going to suggest it but I was curious as to what people actually use when they're diving. I haven't decided what I'm getting yet although I've a fair idea and I welcome suggestions like this.

Out of interest Peace, have you an IANTD/TDI course done for the nitrox? If so, which one and how did you find it?

Thnx

donny wrote:
    Out of interest Peace, have you an IANTD/TDI course done for the nitrox? If so, which one and how did you find it?

Thnx

Donny,
    I've done the IANTD Advance Nitrox with Tim Doyle who operates out of Bantry. Excellent course. I felt a little annoyed that you don't get 100% O2 (You are only qualified to 50% and to 45m) rating out of it but all in all.... Tim drilled home what needed to be learned and didn't pull any punches. Fair play to him. I'd gladly reccomend him to anyone who has a thick skin.

I've also done the TDI Nitrox Blender course. The calculations need to be done out by hand for the exam and are a bit head spinning unless you do them regularly (i'd imagine). Personally it was a course where i would get a nice piece of blending software and allow it to do the number crunching... unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. The course can be done in about 6 hours and is a handy qualification. My intructor was our very own dublinbay.

How's about yourself donny? Who's teaching you the accelerated deco voodoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

Voodoo eh? :) I'm hopefully doing the IANTD course in the next few weeks. Down in Cork too although I can't remember the name of the instructor. It might be Tim alright. I've a basic nitrox course done already but nothing beyond that.

Hopefully I'll eventually get a blending course done as well.

If its bantry then i'd say more than likely Tim Doyle. I know aquaventures do technical training/diving but not sure how much.

I'd be interested to know how you get on.... Its a tough course if you haven't done any technical training before like i hadn't. It had been all PADI up to that point and the 'get it done or its your ass' approach i really liked for some reason :).... A like yourself i had done the basic nitrox before hand so some of the stuff you will have already covered.

Enjoy ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement