Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

boosting wireless signal

• 17-09-2004 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

i have a Linksys WRT54G router and its downstairs connected to the dsl modem
    now the signal dosnt have far to travel but i just cant seem to get a strong signal upstairs
    its ok for using irc and maybe a bit of browsing but it would be great if i could get it good enough for gaming(in games i get awful packet loss)
    i guess another problem i should mention is i have a shuttle and my 1 pci slot is taken up by a sound card so im using a usb wireless adapter :(

is there any way i can boost the signal the Linksys gives off
    im prepaird to spend a bit of money on this if i need to
    im just totaly clueless on wireless networks and will apricate any advice

i forgot to say someome segested changing the channel , this did not help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ok iv done some googleing and have heard of the HyperWRT 1.3 firmware for the WRT54G its ment to boost the signal has anyone any experiance with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Several unofficial firmwares let you change the transmit power amung other things. I haven't tried myself because I have a good signal everywhere in my house. A lot of poeple do it and it works, but don't increase the transmit power to much if you don't want your router to stop working after a few month.
    You can get a lot of informations here .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ok i have now tried the HyperWRT firmware and it does make a differnce
    i now get a good signal
    but still have a small amount of packet loss every few minutes
    i think its the usb adaptor
    does a good usb wireless adaptor exist or does usb = crap ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Not every usb adaptors are crap. Usually, the compact ones (like this one ) are quite bad. But the bigger ones are often OK, and because they are external boxes you can move them away from your computer's electromagnetic interferences.

And remember you increased the transmit power of the router, but not the transmit power of the card. So the card gets a better signal from the router, but the router does not get a better signal fro mthe card.

Advertisement