Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No more slow dances!

• 17-09-2004 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

Just noticing that no more slow dances in the clubs anymore. Even though we complained about them I kindve miss them. Can anyone remember their first proper slow dance. Mine was in 1990 and I had just turned 14 and it was at a under 16's disco. The song was Eternal Flame by the Bangles and the boy was called Chris and I was "in love" with him! Also remember when you could get your supper in a disco. Was this just in Waterford?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

aye.. wonder what'll be in the future, seen as slow dances have been replaced with drunk teens dancing to roadworks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

climaxer wrote:
    Also remember when you could get your supper in a disco. Was this just in Waterford?!

No it was the case in the rest of the country as well - it was something to do with the licensing laws - I think the way it worked was that in order for a bar to be open after the regular closing time you had to serve food.

I remember them doing that in Flamingos/Hollywood Nights (or Hollywood Fights) in Stillorgan in the mid-late 80s. Hollywood Fights - what a dump - long gone since the Stillorgan Park Hotel starting moving a bit up-market about 10-15(?) years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

My first slow dance was with a girl I *really* liked, she was a really nice blonde chick, I kept on saying no to her cause I was embarrassed :o God what a fool!! - I was 11 or 12 so that explains it, eventually she lost patience and just....dragged me out to the floor ( funnily enough the same thing happened to me on my graduation night - not the same girl; another blonde I had a crush on she dragged me to the floor, I'm damn useless ;) ) I still remember it even after all these years :D Makes me feel old :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

first slowy was in St Marys rugby club up in templeouge ahhh the memories of that place,they used to have this huge beaming light as you walked in gates of club(obviously drank cans in field before going in)but if you over did it abit on the gargle the magical beaming light would make you sway from side to side to indicate to bouncers "Oh,heres a drunk,he's not getting in",damn that beam!!!always worked.....

Yeah as for dinners at night clubs,used to get nice grub after paying in up in Spawell which is a dive now and in those days,and also Night owls in Ranlaigh near rathmines.....god the curry used to flow from paper plates but hey with gargle in you,you'd eat anything they dished out...lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I remember it all well Climaxer, especially as a fellow waterfordian of the same age. The bridge was great for that kind of thing, erection section as it was known then was played twice, 2 sets of 3 songs and that was your chance !! Afterwards, a manky chilli con carne upstairs and you were all set !

I remember everyone who was a sixth year in all the schools would be there on a friday, in my school (De La Salle) we'd have the Mercy, Ursline etc... yearbooks and would be using it as a catalogue to decide who was going to go for what later. Sad or what ! Still those were the days.

Actually climaxer, given your age and location, I must surely know you, at least to see you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

Quigs Snr wrote:
    I remember it all well Climaxer, especially as a fellow waterfordian of the same age. The bridge was great for that kind of thing, erection section as it was known then was played twice, 2 sets of 3 songs and that was your chance !! Afterwards, a manky chilli con carne upstairs and you were all set !

I remember everyone who was a sixth year in all the schools would be there on a friday, in my school (De La Salle) we'd have the Mercy, Ursline etc... yearbooks and would be using it as a catalogue to decide who was going to go for what later. Sad or what ! Still those were the days.

Actually climaxer, given your age and location, I must surely know you, at least to see you.

I'm sure you do know me to see then ;) . What year did you do you're leaving cert - I did mine in 1993 and was a pres girl.

Back to topic - quoted by mad m: "god the curry used to flow from paper plates but hey with gargle in you,you'd eat anything they dished out...lol" - I know we used to get mince curry and spagetti yet it was often the nicest thing you tasted thanks to the alcohol!

climaxer wrote:
    I'm sure you do know me to see then ;) . What year did you do you're leaving cert - I did mine in 1993 and was a pres girl.

Also 1993, and was a De La Salle guy.

I recall you saying in a previous post that you were a bit of a goth girl for a while so that should have given you away as a pres girl, you guys seemed to have more goths than the Mercy who only had a handful, and the Ursline who had pretty much none.

I'll bet I'd know your face well.

Quigs Snr wrote:
    Also 1993, and was a De La Salle guy.

I recall you saying in a previous post that you were a bit of a goth girl for a while so that should have given you away as a pres girl, you guys seemed to have more goths than the Mercy who only had a handful, and the Ursline who had pretty much none.

I'll bet I'd know your face well.

More than likely - we probably "went off with each other" on a drunken night in Breens LOL! Remember the McGee bros -they were soo strict about letting people in. I was pretty wild back then to say the least especially when I used to go the the Roxy. Calmed down big time now though..which is just as well.

Aye, the fearsome moustached one (Jimmy?) who used to turn everyone away still gives me nightmares. I was one of the lucky ones who could grow a beard back then and had few problems, although that said, 11 years on I wasn't allowed into the wacky apple a few weeks ago without ID ! This despite turning 29 last week. Could have worse complaints !

Of course a cure head would have to go to the Roxy, especially when ' The Bridge/Olympus/Banana Club', cut the live acts on a friday night and went all dance, first time I ever went into the bridge it was about 10 at night and they were playing Never Enough by the cure and two cure heads, one large one small, both pres girls, were out there giving it loads. On their own. Roxy was a good place too (wonder if it will ever re-open), although the forum seems to be the place of choice for the current iteration of that segment.

More than likely if you knew me, you'd guess who I was from the name. If you were a mercy girl of the same year you would almost definitely know me (my sister was only a year behind me and in the Mercy and very social too, as a result, I knew more mercy girls than anything else). Knew a few pres too though, one of my mates had a mother who was a teacher there and was constantly getting harrassed by pres girls on nights out who wanted to be able to tell their teacher how naughty their son was.....

Jimmy and George were the two I remember. Poor George had a bit of a crush on me but he was a gent. Jimmy hated me - don't think he liked people being happy. I was 29 too recently - 3rd Sept to be exact. Thank God I don't feel it or look it either. I got stopped in Dublin during the summer and was told I only look around 20 - yipee. Best one ever though was last year when I was 28 and a girl at the checkout asked me if I was going to the debs! Never been in the Wacky Apple yet - seems nice though. I tend to stay out of town - sick of it. I just go to my local which is An Cranóg in Leamy Street which is in the area I live.

I wasn't a cure head when I went to the Roxy - more of a "Raving" lunatic. I still love The Cure though and their music.

Ok so I'm guessing you're surname is Quigley - I only knew an Aisling Quigley who went to the mercy. No fellas spring to mind though. This is like give us a clue LOL. What part of Waterford did you grow up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I remember the slow dances well, some clubs used to have an early one and then more dance music and then the "real" slow dance at the end. Places i went to where Coco's, Club Sarah, Spawell, Tramco & of course Club M.

I my first slow dance was in the Garda club with the girl "I thought I'd spend the rest of my life with TM"

Hard to believe that was over and around 10+ years ago I did my leaving cert in '94 in Mac Dara's.

I remember the curry's in coco's well plus a friends dad worked ther and we'd always get in comps if possible which was about the only reason we went there.

Advertisement