Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exam compensation policy, help needed

Options
  • 17-09-2004 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Sorry in advance for the longwinded post.

I recently did a Degree in WIT. After I sat my exams in Summer I ended up with two passes and for fails ( one was a project not exam ).

I recieved my repeat results yesterday. I passed them all except one. So in the Summer I got 37% in Subject X and in the repeat I got 28%.

What I would like to do is take the 37% from the Summer as my mark for the subject and then with my other results I could compensate for the 3% I need to get the degree.

I rang the college and I was told this wasn't possible. My lecturer has never heard of it happening.

My question is, does anyone know if this is possible?

I went down to the college today to ask for a written policy or set of rules that governs how percentages, results and in paticular compensations are handled. They couldn't help me but said they'd get someone to ring me.

Now, if there are no offical rules with regards to the situation it is down to someones descretion whether or not they allow me to do this. If that is the case it is a matter of me finding and convincing the right person.

At the moment the colleges answer is essentially "just because" which seems unfair. Just because "it's the way things are done" dosen't mean it's offical.

Has anyone had similar experience with anything like this or do you know is there a set of rules set out by the Dep. of Education with regards to marking policy?

I recieved the letter too late to check my paper and I'll find out about the appeals process today as it's very soon I'd say.

I'd really appreciate any help or suggestions. I'll probably ring the Dep. of Education to see what they have to say.

Can anyone help me fight the system? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

I'm in NUI Maynooth, and these are the provisions for pass by compensation.

"Compensation: Compensation may be permitted on a mark for mark basis provided that the candidate, sitting three subjects at the same examination, has passed two and obtained no less than 35% in the third subject.

A candidate who fails this examination as a whole but who passes in a subject or subjects may carry forward the pass mark obtained to subsequent repeat examinations. When examination marks are carried forward they may be used to make up a deficiency for purposes of compensation.

Where compensation is allowed, a mark that falls into the compensation range may be brought forward to subsequent exams (subject to the two year rule) for the purpose of obtaining a pass by compensation. Students would still be expected to register for all failed subjects in the repeat examinations.

In subjects including written and practical examinations, candidates may be rejected, or debarred from passing by compensation, on the grounds of extreme weakness in one or other part of the Examination."

To be honest I don't think the Deparment of Education will be any help to you, as far as I know it's down to the discretion of the college, the examiners and your lecturers to decide if they'll pass you by compensation, as it depends how well/badly you did in your other subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Thanks for they reply.

The thing was I wasnt drinking and going out every night which they may think I was. I know my marks might relect this attitude but it wasn't the case. I only went out the once this year.

Your defenition of Compensation helps as this would apply to me.

So far the college seems to be taken over by answering machines and I haven't got to talk to anyone yet.

Advertisement