Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P Programs on UCD Network

Options
  • 17-09-2004 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm having some trouble getting P2P programs (Kazza, Win MX) to connect while using UCD network. I have the programs installed on laptop and connecting using WIFI
    is the problem with Proxy or Firewall and is there are way around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭the1andonly1

Nope, not really. They are all blocked off by the college, though you can use a program called hopster to get around it. hopster pops up these really annoying ads though if you get the freeware version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Use your head. There are about 20,000 students in UCD. There is a bitching fast internet access. Do you really think it would be simple to get the p2p programmes working? What do you think would happen if it wasn't blocked? People would use it all the time. The network would be clogged and die.

However if you know enough about computers anything is possible. Even getting p2p programmes working. So the only way to do it is to be semi-decent at computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Getting p2p programs worked till last year, though this year it seems the program I normally use is blocked. Permanently unable to connect. Bah! The main problem this year is the lack of working cd-roms! :( Least hardware acceleration will be back shortly! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

P2P on wireless in Quinn is very possible, it takes work though.. Don't want to mention any programmes because they'll just be blocked.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

I've tried the wireless and it does't work either. There would be a proxy server on it as well.
    AFAIK the only way to get a p2p program working is to use a port tunneler like socks2http. Thats prob what hopster is.

Come on, we're all friends here. Anyone who finds a way to use a p2p program please share. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement