Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house - Am I bidding against myself?

Options
  • 17-09-2004 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,
    Im currently bidding for a house here in Dublin.
    Is there anyway of making sure that Im not bidding against myself?

Is there any law that says its illegal for an auctioneer to invent bidders to boost up the price of the house?

Is it legal for me to approach the seller directly?

Im a first time buyer and I dont want to make any mistakes with what is a massive amount of money.

anybody got any advice here?

Cheers
    Wavey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is it an auction, tender or a private sale?

In any of these situations the selling agent can use bluff, you just need to call it once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Is there any law that says its illegal for an auctioneer to invent bidders to boost up the price of the house?

It is the Auctioneers duty to act honourably at all times but they are acting on behalf of the vender

Is it legal for me to approach the seller directly?
    Yes it is legal but most Vendors will send you back to the Auctioneer because thats why they got the Auctioneer in the first place

If there's a joint agency on the for sale of the house ring the other agent and see what he has to say.

At the end of the day its the seller who decides what price the property will sell for.

Advertisement