Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection ESAT BB through a switch

• 17-09-2004 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to connect the ESAT bb modem (Zyxel) to a switch and then use it to connect to the internet from there. I have a network up and running with 3pcs through the switch (all on xp) but have no idea how to share the bb connection. Can any1 tell me the setup and how to configure it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Gangsta wrote:
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to connect the ESAT bb modem (Zyxel) to a switch and then use it to connect to the internet from there. I have a network up and running with 3pcs through the switch (all on xp) but have no idea how to share the bb connection. Can any1 tell me the setup and how to configure it?
    Assuming you've set everything up so that one computer connects properly through the ZyXELs ethernet connection, just unplug the switch in between the PC and the Zyxel, and add the other PCs to it.

I think the ZyXEL has an autosensing ethernet port, so that you don't need to use a crossover cable between the Zyxel box and the switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

I actually have it setup thru USB. I have 2PC's connected together working perfectly wit a switch. Any thoughts?

Gangsta wrote:
    I actually have it setup thru USB. I have 2PC's connected together working perfectly wit a switch. Any thoughts?
    Just switch it over to working on ethernet first, and then add the switch to the mix. If you want to, you could even just connect the switch to the ethernet port, and leave the existing USB connection in place, and everything should work.

(I presume the two PCs connected to the switch are using hard coded IP addresses? If so, then verify that they are using 192.168.0.something. If they're not, just change them to get an IP address automatically).

right connected the switch to the ethernet port using a crossover (state if i need to change) and now how do i configure it in xp to share it (btw the ethernet port is flashin orange, not green)

Gangsta wrote:
    right connected the switch to the ethernet port using a crossover (state if i need to change) and now how do i configure it in xp to share it (btw the ethernet port is flashin orange, not green)
    You don't "configure it in XP to share" - the ZyXEL is set up to share out of the box.

What IP addresses are the machines connected to the switch using?

(And the flashing orange/green is probably something to do with 10Mbit versus 100MBit ethernet - don't worry about it).

• Advertisement

the pc connected to the zyxel is 192.168.0.1 and the other is 192.168.0.2
    If i dont need to configure it how do i access the net from the other pc?

Gangsta wrote:
    the pc connected to the zyxel is 192.168.0.1 and the other is 192.168.0.2
    If i dont need to configure it how do i access the net from the other pc?
    Okay, let's start over. You said you had 3 PCs in your first post, and that they were all connected to the switch. Then you said that you are connected to the ZyXEL using the USB connection.

You aren't trying to use one of the PCs as a "gateway", are you?

Just connect 1 of the PCs to the ZyXel using the ethernet connection, and verify that everything is working. Then plug the PC into the switch instead, and plug the Switch into the Zyxel. (Whether you need a crossover cable depends on the switch and whether the Zyxel is autosensing. I think it is, but I can't remember). The switch is effectively invisible to the PC, so putting it between the PC and the ZyXEL shouldn't make any difference - if it doesn't work, then you do need a crossover cable.

Once that single PC is working, just plug the other two into the switch too. The ZyXEL will hand out IP addresses and DNS and Gateway information. I don't know how you managed IP addresses when you just networked the 3 PCs, but whatever you were doing, make sure that it doesn't conflict with what the ZyXEL is doing. (f you were using Manual IP addresses, change them to Automatic, if you were running a DHCP server, turn it off).

k will try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭simonm2

I have a pretty similar set-up: a couple of macs, a sun box and a friend sometimes plugs in a windows 2k laptop too. The Zyxel dishes out dhcp addresses to all the machines. By default the Zyxel is 192.168.0.1 but you can change it if you want. I did.

Esat sent out a cross-over cable in the box. Works fine with my ethernet hub. But it also works fine with a regular ethernet cable. Apparently auto-sensing. I also discovered that you can use both the usb and the ethernet connections simultaneously which actually surprised me.

I haven't found a way to change the default administrator name from admin to something more interesting however.

Advertisement