Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help

Options
  • 17-09-2004 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

One Network. 4 pc's. One ISDN Lan Modem/4 port hub. 3 machines are win98se. One machine is XP pro. Initially I set static ip's, standard setup, 192.168.1.1 and up from the hub. Everything worked cookie. Got a call that the XP one was off the network, checked everything and no changes had been made. Ping tests passed but not visible in network neighbourhood and mapped drives would not connect. Eventually renamed workgroup and brought the rest of the pc's onto the new workgroup and all was well for a few more days until XP machine came off the network again! This time renaming the workgroup did not work. The only way I could get them going again was to switch them all to dynamic IP's and hey presto there were all my machines on the network again!! (Dont understand why that worked!). All worked well for a few days until the xp one lost its mapped drives again! This time it will not show up for love or money.
    1. The three 98se machines have stayed networked all the time with no issues regardless of workgroup names or static/dynamic setup.
    2. Ping tests have been passing all the time regardless of config.
    3. I have verified all related cabling.
    4. Internet access has been unaffected on all machines.

I was begining to think it might be permissions related but the fact that it is intermittent has me puzzled. Has anyone got any ideas???
    Your help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have you checked the logs on the XP machine?
    [Start][Settings][Control Panel][Administrative Tools][Event Viewer].

It might shed some light on your problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Checked that and nothing showing up. Anyone have any ideas?

Advertisement