Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old people suck!!

• 17-09-2004 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

What do you want to do when you get old? I mean like 70
    I wanna be playing heavy metal and riding around on a huge harley davidson and maybe go skydiving at weekends.
    I dont know why most old people just sit around all day watching tv and going on a walk. That would be really boring. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I shat my pants again this afternoon.

The nurse said that just because it's friday she'd give me the soft nappy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭substr

Ermmmm good for you mate, anything better to add to the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

Yeah id love to still have an active life by the time im 70...(hopefully ill be in good shape:D )
    It is depressing just siting around in an old folks home - but my gran loves it!!!!
    But youve got to remember that when your that age your not as fit or as able to do many things such as skydiving :eek: , all you can do really is sit around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

old people had nowt back in the day, we got tellys growing up etc... so we want to do more exciting stuff. for some old people, countdown on an afternoon is the highlight of the day!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

All I want to do is sit on the front porch in my rocking chair shaking my walking stick at those damn kids flying by on their hover-boards.

• Advertisement

uuuuugggh omg I would rather kill myself than sitting in all day watching countdown/etc ! I would what our generation will be like when we are old.,

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭spoon

my granddad is how i wanna be if i ever reach his age. He is 84, he is still really active. He fishes every weekend, he's won the biggest compition on the river barrow 6 years in a row.
    He has a classic car that he keeps care of and drives to vitage car things all around the country in it.
    He has a huge big garden that he works on almost everyday and sells a lot of what he grows to the stores around carlow. So he makes a bit of cash off it.
    He has gone to france every 6months for the past three years, and when he's over there he get langered at all the wine tasting things.
    The guy is more active than i am, and im a quater of his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

I think I'll move to Florida and piss everyone off by driving everywhere at 15Mph... :D

Well old people know more about being old than we do and they've had the time and experience to figure out what's really important, so just copy them. As long as I don't end up being a shut-in it's all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Old ppl in Maynooth seem to be v concerned about my hearing!! I'm sick of ppl taking my earphones off to tell me my music is too loud or tapping me on the shoulder and then lecturing me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

At that age you'd probably just want to relax.

substr wrote:
    I wanna be playing heavy metal and riding around on a huge harley davidson and maybe go skydiving at weekends.
    I dont know why most old people just sit around all day watching tv and going on a walk. That would be really boring. Thoughts?

Another thing is, by the time you're 70 that'll all be considered really dull and lame by kids...

Thats another thing about them , most of them are moany ****ebags
    weh weh weh your musics too loud weh the youth of today have no respect weh weh back in my day people had respect for their elders

[edit]
    ROFL the negative rep I just got
    Are you 12? The most child-like thread I've seen in a while.
    probably by some old git right here on boards - back to your rocking chair oldie!
    [/edit]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

substr wrote:

I imagine by the time you're 70 young people will all be sitting around all day, watching tv and going on a walk, and posting retarded threads to message boards telling everyone that old people suck.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I think you need to consider what way you would react if a five year old started calling you a moany ****ebag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

The problem with living to 90 or 100 is that it gives you 20 or 30 years of being in your 70s, 80s, 90s etc. If you got 2 or 3 decades of being 30 it would be worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

substr wrote:

Isn't that what most young people do? Oh, wait, they don't go for walks, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭LadyPenelope

I dont know any old people who sit around all day. My father is always busy, he restores cars and him and my mum have been to more countries in the world than i have been. He still sometimes races cars. They go away almost every weekend somewhere in Ireland in the summer with vintage car clubs and mum is out four nights a week. My grandfather is in his 90's and is still always busy all day long. He fishes and works on model trains and has a very busy social life.

I would hope that i am that busy when i get to their age! Dont knock the old people, and anyway if you ask them i bet they would tell you they still feel 20 inside!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

substr wrote:
    Thats another thing about them , most of them are moany ****ebags
    weh weh weh your musics too loud weh the youth of today have no respect weh weh back in my day people had respect for their elders

what are you, like 9 years old or something? I cant believe the disrespect and ignorance you show towards the older generation. They are much wiser then you or me and have lived a long life by the time they reach ages past 70. They not only deserve to rest, the deserve to be respected, and to do whatever the hell they want to do.
    I am sure it sounds boring to sit around all day but when you are that old sometimes just walking down a flight of stairs can make you tired, and one fall could break 5 bones.
    I suppose when you are older a more mature you will understand, and I hope for your sake that you start to care more for others than you do for yourself.

-rant over-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

At the moment I'd just like to make it to 70. None of the males in my family have made it past 67. Last male funerals were 67, 39, 54, 58, & 66
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I fully intend to move my brain to a specially constructed cyborg body by the time I hit 70. Any kids who refuse to turn their music down will have a tonne of angry titanium plated Sarky to answer to!

Also, what BEAT said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'll probably be living on the moon and struggling to keep my walking stick from floating away whilst complaining about kids' lack of respect for earth and the fact that golf seems to be a much longer walk than I remember....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Sarky wrote:
    I fully intend to move my brain to a specially constructed cyborg body by the time I hit 70. Any kids who refuse to turn their music down will have a tonne of angry titanium plated Sarky to answer to!

Will you have laser beam eyes? That would rule.

My father's grandfather died from a fall from a tree at the age of 104 - but that's Kerrymen for ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I'll suck when I'm old... at all the mad orgies I'll be having with other pensioners!

But seriously, I won't just switch of and die at a certain age, I'll keep on learning and doing stuff for as long as possible. Maybe you have a bit less energy but you make up for it with experience.

It's also a bit of a cliché to say that all old people are whiney old layabouts, it's just not true. A lot of them are very active, funny, interesting people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

old people had nowt back in the day, we got tellys growing up etc... so we want to do more exciting stuff. for some old people, countdown on an afternoon is the highlight of the day!
    Well, get Sky if you don't want to watch countdown then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

hmmm if im in good shape i might marry a cute asian girl :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Speaking as an older person myself, who has quite a busy work and social life I'd say we have a vital role in society......I mean, I've heard that the average age of the Admins is 57 !

Alsom if there wasn't old people, who would you young people know when you'd done things wrong. I mean, who'd be there to tell you !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

When I'm old, I'm gonna stay active. I'm gonna go into shops and act older than I am. When I get to the counter with my purchase (40 condoms) I'm going to "accidentally" drop all my change in between the packs of sweets, and apologise profusely. Then I'm going to pretend I'm having a heart attack and fall into the crisp stands. After about four minutes of everyone going mad, I'll just get up and walk out laughing.

I'm going to do this in random shops at random times.

How much fun can you have??!?! :)

Dr. Loon wrote:
    How much fun can you have??!?! :)

You could always tell the nice helpfull girl at the counter that you didn't have these back in your day and ask her how to use them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

stevenmu wrote:
    You could always tell the nice helpfull girl at the counter that you didn't have these back in your day and ask her how to use them

That's a good one. I'll be doing that also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

substr wrote:
    Ermmmm good for you mate, anything better to add to the thread?

I love this...on a thread YOU started called "old people suck!!!"

Anything better to add to the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

substr wrote:

Most people do the same when they're old as they did when they were young. Are you playing heavy meal, riding around on a Harley (or anything/one else) and skydiving on weekends at the moment? If so, you'll probably do the same at 70.

Me, I'm hoping for a full body transplant to enable me to continue my present strenuous life.

Advertisement