Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wesley Crusher is *shock* not an annoying human being!

• 17-09-2004 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭

So I'm in Hodges and Figgis and come across this "Just a Geek" Wil "Wesley" Wheaton's biography.

I pick it up, on the back page theres Wesley sitting infront of his computer with a big linux sticker on it, and a pint of Guinness in his hand.

I open the book, the foreword is by Neil Gaiman

Wheaton opens the book with pixies lyric....

My whole world spins into confusion. As a teenage roleplaying comic book nerd, Wesley Crusher had to be hated. Now I'm reading a funny, self affacing, tech literate book by the man. Who also runs a very funny blog

Check out his blog

I'm seriously concerned at this trend. Hasselhof is going to release a brilliantly worked multi layered concept album fusing funk soul and Led Zepplin style Guitar solos at this rate......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

mycroft wrote:
    Hasselhof is going to release a brilliantly worked multi layered concept album fusing funk soul and Led Zepplin style Guitar solos at this rate......

isn't he already that?
    Hasslehof is pretty cool these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Sleipnir wrote:
    isn't he already that?
    Hasslehof is pretty cool these days.

You're mistaking Kitsch with cool.

According to Popbitch a few weeks back at a Brian Wilson concert Hasselhof that was attending, a heckler shouted "You are nothing without your robot car, nothing NOTHING!!!"

Best heckle ever IMO

Its now on t-shirts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

from his "website"

" Since leaving TNG, Wil has explored a number of different career options. In 1993, Wil put everything he had in a storage locker at Los Angeles Union Station, and tried life as a hobo, riding the rails across the US.

He settled in Florida in early 1995, where he found work at The Waffle House, on route 90. Wheaton had found his calling, it seemed, until a tragic accident known only as "the pigs-in-a-blanket-fiasco" drove him out of the Waffle House, and, ultimately, out of Florida completely."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Actually I didn't hate his character. I liked him. But then i'm the minority here. I don't hate people who get places that they deserve to. I welcome it. It's when idiots advance ahead of you that the anger swells :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I think he played the part of crusher very well imho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Have read his blog before, can be quite entertaining. Taught himself programming or somesuch, hence his newfound Linux interest. He seems pretty rounded to me, and perfectly aware of how annoying Wesley seemed on TNG (at least up until the latter part of s3). Book sounds interesting - didn't realise he'd written one.

He was also pretty funny on the Weakest Link Trek version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

mycroft wrote:
    You're mistaking Kitsch with cool.

According to Popbitch a few weeks back at a Brian Wilson concert Hasselhof that was attending, a heckler shouted "You are nothing without your robot car, nothing NOTHING!!!"

Best heckle ever IMO

Its now on t-shirts

Funny if it was true!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

He's a gamer, too. He has a foreword on one of John Kovalic's Dork Tower Annuals. Fine by me.

In all fairness, he was a child actor back on Star Trek, and child actors are, almost in their entirety, disgustingly useless.

bizmark wrote:
    I think he played the part of crusher very well imho

They turn him from hyper active goody two shoes into a super evolved human being......... :rolleyes:
    from his "website"

Look he's no Bruce Campbell, I just find it interesting that a child star can turn out to be a well adjusted well rounded human being and look at his journey Philosophically. Unlike say the two Corey's (Feldman and Haim)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

I have both his books, excellent reads the two of them. "Just A Geek" loses the run of itself a little towards the end, but there's more than enough good stuff in there to make up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TeRmInAlCrAzY

Sarky wrote:
    He's a gamer, too. He has a foreword on one of John Kovalic's Dork Tower Annuals. Fine by me.

He's doing a regular back-page article for Dungeon Magazine as well, now - http://www.wilwheaton.net/mt/archives/001625.php

I've read both
    Dancing Barefoot and Just A Geek and they are both excellent books - I read each one in a single sitting - just hoovered it up.

Wil /was/ an actor - now he's an /author/.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I'm surprised people didn't already know this! He is pretty well know on Slashdot.org ( News for nerds, stuff that matters <-- yes I'm a nerd to ;) ) his nick is.....CleverNickName :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

mycroft wrote:
    They turn him from hyper active goody two shoes into a super evolved human being......... :rolleyes:

Its not his fault how someone else wrote crushers part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

But it doesn't mean we can't hate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

mycroft wrote:
    I just find it interesting that a child star can turn out to be a well adjusted well rounded human being and look at his journey Philosophically. Unlike say the two Corey's (Feldman and Haim)
    To be fair, Feldman and Haim were much bigger stars which is bound to have a much bigger effect on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

mycroft wrote:
    Unlike say the two Corey's (Feldman and Haim)

Yeah, but they were infinetly cooler!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

He's doing a regular back-page article for Dungeon Magazine as well, now - http://www.wilwheaton.net/mt/archives/001625.php.
    Intreresting because I remember reading an article in Dragon magazine about ohh a decade ago or so concerning a charity auction at a fantasy convention. The biggest money spinner of the night was the chance to get your hands on a Wesley Crusher trading card and then burn it in front of everyone...

Oh and, joshing aside, Wil Wheaton was pretty decent in 'Stand By Me'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I remember him advocating MandrakeLinux a while back.

Didn't hate his character in Star Trek, and the only problem I had with the "super-evolved human being" thing was they never got back to it to see what became of him. And it did provide a bit of a cop-out for the "you were responsible for the death of a fellow cadet and lied about it, should make your career nice and difficult" thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Stark wrote:
    I remember him advocating MandrakeLinux a while back.

Didn't hate his character in Star Trek, and the only problem I had with the "super-evolved human being" thing was they never got back to it to see what became of him. And it did provide a bit of a cop-out for the "you were responsible for the death of a fellow cadet and lied about it, should make your career nice and difficult" thing.

He's a big Linux fan, and in geek terms his charity on Trek's Weakest Link was some internet free speech foundation.

As for the super-evolved version of Wesley, he did turn up at the wedding in Nemesis - and in a Stafleet uniform - although all his dialogue was cut, so we can only assume he can pick up wedding invites on whatever plane of existence he's visiting these days. I'm sure Beverly was pleased. She always seemed to love him no matter how obnoxious he was!

Hey

The person who gave me neg karma for this thread cause it's "hardly news"

1. This is after hours, not current events.

2. Pardon me for spending the last ten years getting the life you so sorely need, meaning that I'm not au fai with the current comings and goings of former child trek stars.....

Anway......

Just what is LeVar Burton doing these days :D
    Intreresting because I remember reading an article in Dragon magazine about ohh a decade ago or so concerning a charity auction at a fantasy convention. The biggest money spinner of the night was the chance to get your hands on a Wesley Crusher trading card and then burn it in front of everyone...

Lord, trading cards.....I can still remember the muppet who paid a fortune for a black moxy thingmagy at Gaelcon years ago........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I like this thread and I've even considered buying that book because of it. I'll certainly take a look at Wheaton's blog as well!

Advertisement